Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

I'm no fan of Simon Ferry and Open Goal patter but a clip of him went viral recently where he said we concentrate too much on mistakes in this country and we should encourage our youngsters to keep getting on the ball and keep making mistakes if they need to, because ultimately they'll do the right thing more often than not if they're good enough. I thought we embodied that tonight. Young guys like Patterson and Gilmour made errors but never stopped, older guys like Dykes the same. No fear in that second half. Lets keep going with that attitude. Fucking brilliant.
This. The tidal wave of people shooting Patterson down after 20 mins are short-sighted tools.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

That was one of the most remarkable 45 mins I've seen from Scotland.

Gilmour is a genuine international level player.

Patterson was utter trash in the first half

Corrected that for you.

Lots of folk commenting on how great Gilmour was second half, but nobody was actually giving him the ball in the first half. That’s the player he is, get the ball, pass it, get the ball etc etc - if they don’t give him it in the first half of course he’ll be a passenger.

And I pray, please, stop playing McTominay at the back 🙏

If that had finished 6-3 us no one could have had any complaints. The Zahavi header just after we equalised, and Dykes penalty and header and Mcginn’s trying to place it in to the corner all should have been scored. Shows how exceptional we were second half that we’re disappointed not to have scored 6 though. Hell of a game to watch as well.

Gilmour was outstanding second half, Robertson was the best player on the park over the course of it. There’s not a left side in world football as good as we have, and the understanding between Tierney, Robertson and McGregor is improving with every game. By far our biggest threat.

Dykes gets a lot of stick, and he’s far from the most technically gifted player we have, but I’d much rather him than Adams. Said it in other game threads, but to put it mildly, he’s a fucking pain in the arse to play against, and he takes so much pressure off our back line, because they know they can launch one and he’ll compete for it and more often than not win it (which made Patterson’s clownshoe corner performance for the first even more frustrating). Adams is a technically more proficient player, but he doesn’t offer us nearly as much.

John McGinn is a fucking meatball headed shagger. I love him so much!

Bit of a Jekyll and Hyde performance overall I felt. First half we were rotten but the second half Israel could hardly live with us at all.

Tierney almost never puts a foot wrong, the most consistent Scotland performer probably in my lifetime of 30 years. Robertson back to a good level after a period of abjectness and McGinn just pops up with those vital goals that we need.

Still to be convinced by Adams and Dykes showed excellent character that second half.

Shocker of a first half from Patterson, but much improved the second. Similarly McTominay looked a lot more assured after the break.

And finally Steve Clarke. Fair fucks, he got us going in that second half and he has guided us to a magnificent win and has salvaged this group after a poor start.

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:
6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:
I'm no fan of Simon Ferry and Open Goal patter but a clip of him went viral recently where he said we concentrate too much on mistakes in this country and we should encourage our youngsters to keep getting on the ball and keep making mistakes if they need to, because ultimately they'll do the right thing more often than not if they're good enough. I thought we embodied that tonight. Young guys like Patterson and Gilmour made errors but never stopped, older guys like Dykes the same. No fear in that second half. Lets keep going with that attitude. Fucking brilliant.

This. The tidal wave of people shooting Patterson down after 20 mins are short-sighted tools.

Not really. Defensively the guy is an utter liability. Even going forward he would choose the wrong option to ruin any good work he did. 

He should be punted to the under 21s for the next 12 months until he learns the game. 

The boy showed unbelievable mental strength to keep wanting the ball and improving in the second half, but lets not pretend the criticism of Patterson after the first half  was unwarranted. I think he was helped by us having control of the game in the second half, allowing him a bit of space to isolate the full back and do his thing. He really struggled in the first half but experience of playing in a nervy game like that and coming out the other side will do him a lot of good.

3 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Not really. Defensively the guy is an utter liability. Even going forward he would choose the wrong option to ruin any good work he did. 

He should be punted to the under 21s for the next 12 months until he learns the game. 

Exactly the attitude Ferry is talking about tbh. Lets give these lads room to improve rather than making it a "1 strike and yer oot" mentality. 

1 minute ago, AJF said:

And finally Steve Clarke. Fair fucks, he got us going in that second half and he has guided us to a magnificent win and has salvaged this group after a poor start.

3-2 against Israel is hardly magnificent. If he had done his job pre match his half time 'heroics' wouldn't have been required. 

Just now, The Moonster said:

Exactly the attitude Ferry is talking about tbh. Lets give these lads room to improve rather than making it a "1 strike and yer oot" mentality. 

That is why we have age group football.  Patterson has never had a run of 10 games at any level.  Give him a chance.

Just now, The Moonster said:

He can improve by playing at his true level in the u21s. His time will come, but it's not now. 

100% agree!!!!