New City in Scotland

New Scottish Jubilee City  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Greenock literally is part of Glasgow, just as Paisley is. 

Hilarious to see Motherwell in the poll. 

Correct sir. It's like Livingston trying to claim city status despite being in Edinburgh.

But you're already in Glasgow by the time you hit that junction. 

In the same way the Irish M1 appears to go through the outskirts of Lisburn on the way to Belfast?

But the original point was that there doesn’t need to be a clear isolation although a river would be handy

I assume Greenock is just doing this to piss off Paisley anyway

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

In the same way the Irish M1 appears to go through the outskirts of Lisburn on the way to Belfast?

But the original point was that there doesn’t need to be a clear isolation although a river would be handy

I assume Greenock is just doing this to piss off Paisley anyway

The Irish M1 doesn't even go near Newry, never mind Lisburn or Belfast, but that's a whole different thing.

I think the people of Fife have taken enough of a slagging for being parochial mutants and they deserve something for that. On that basis you have St. Andrews and Dunfermline and we should be acknowledging the ancient capital and, I hope, Yes voting town over the dumping ground for failed aristocrats who couldn’t get into Oxbridge.

Don't know anything about Salford or Manchester, but Lisburn is very distinct from Belfast. Nobody driving the M1 north or southbound could confuse the two.
Whereas Greenock is part of that south-western blob that forms Glasgow. If it's south of the Castlecary Arches, north of Kilmarnock and west of Shotts (but inclusive of Shotts), then it's Glasgow. You cannot argue with this.

Took me moving to Manchester to learn that Salford is a different city to Manchester even though it clearly isn’t other than because a river separates the two. Even then I live on the Manchester side and pay Salford CT rates. A total mess and should be an acknowledgement it’s a suburb of Manc.

You can’t give it to Paisley. It’s got Glasgow Airport, a suburb.

Greenock could maybe have a shout if every single Greenock resident I’ve met outside of the west coast hasn’t told me they’re from Glasgow and got annoyed when I’ve said “that’s not Glasgow.”

38 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Tried to edit the poll and made an arse of it. 

Greenock wins by default

Ah, well. You tried.

Greenock should win for its deep water port. The cruise ships will be lining up to see the new city.

Oban: 

Pros: Had some nice chips there once. Scenery. 

Cons: A bit small? 

Elgin:

Pros: Already a City by dint of history. Elgin City FC are generally good guys. 

Cons: Can't really think of any. 

Dumfries: 

Pros: Nice river. QOS retain a fine original set of Drenchlighting

Cons: Bit of a dump. Gets wild at the weekend I believe. 

St Andrews

Pros: Beach is ok

Cons: Golf wankers, Failed Oxbridge wankers, Royal wankers. 

Greenock: 

Pros: Burgh hall is worth of a city. No bad view of the Clyde on a summer's day. 

Cons: Rain. Bit rundown. VL.Ton...

Dunfermline:

Pros: I quite like Dunfermline. Peacocks. 

Cons: Quite a few neds. But all Scottish towns have them. 

Livingston

Pros: erm, the nights are fair drawing out...

Cons: Like pinching other people's football teams. Like a Cemetery with street lights. 

South Ayrshire

Pros: hmm.. nice pies in Troon I suppose

Cons: An area isn't really a city. Need to merge together to become Mega City Ayrshire. 

2 hours ago, Thorongil said:

Greenock literally is part of Glasgow, just as Paisley is. 

Hilarious to see Motherwell in the poll. 

Screenshot_20211223-142726.thumb.jpg.022f210f61e9ad4da080f47065abdda7.jpg

Stirling and Falkirk also just Glasgow as well then.

Everything is just Glasgow. Including Edinburgh.

Edit to add as you'll see my maps have me out on my 100ft super yacht on the Clyde city port. 

Edited by GiGi

3 hours ago, G51 said:

Don't know anything about Salford or Manchester, but Lisburn is very distinct from Belfast. Nobody driving the M1 north or southbound could confuse the two.

Whereas Greenock is part of that south-western blob that forms Glasgow. If it's south of the Castlecary Arches, north of Kilmarnock and west of Shotts (but inclusive of Shotts), then it's Glasgow. You cannot argue with this.

help, i’m being cancelled 

Screenshot_20211223-142726.thumb.jpg.022f210f61e9ad4da080f47065abdda7.jpg
Stirling and Falkirk also just Glasgow as well then.
Everything is just Glasgow. Including Edinburgh.
Edit to add as you'll see my maps have me out on my 100ft super yacht on the Clyde city port. 

Glasgow is commutable distance from Edinburgh so as well as Edinburgh being just Glasgow, Glasgow is also just Edinburgh

Weirdly though nowhere is Livingston, not even Livingston

My basis for Greenock being Glasgow is less about geography (that was my beef with these people) but more that I’ve had multiple people from various parts of our United Kingdom tell me they’re from Glasgow then say Greenock. Even Paisley residents haven’t done this.

The Greenock boys on here are mostly sound but the folk you’ve sent out into the world have too much cringe for their place of birth.

What's ours?
Carlisle?

Sorry I’d forgotten about you

which concedes your point but underlines a weakness in your case

Carlisle is of course the biggest city in England (by area) I assume that if you win you’ll include large swathes of empty Dumfriesshire countryside so that you can claim to bigger still