New City in Scotland

New Scottish Jubilee City  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

You could maybe argue this for the likes of Bearsden (it to Glasgow is like Dyce/Bucksburn to Aberdeen, albeit on a larger scale), but not for East Kilbride which is completely surrounded by the same distance of countryside that separates Glenrothes from Kirkcaldy.

Eta: would be interesting to see how folk feel about Invergowrie (P&K), Monifieth (Angus) and Broughty Ferry all being lumped in as 'Dundee' seeing as they're now separated from their adjacent places by nothing other than roads.  @invergowrie arab @Granny Danger

Have you been to Kirkcaldy recently? The housing estates of Glenrothes and Kirkcaldy are in the process of joining up. We’ll soon be the mega-town Of Kirkrothes or Glencaldy McCaldface.

7 minutes ago, G51 said:

Look at the way the Sneck has cannibalised the places in its immediate vicinity though. Imagine trying to tell someone you were from Culloden these days. That’s basically the same as the relationship between Glasgow and Paisley/EK/Greenock.

Well no, given Culloden/Smithton/Balloch are housing estates and there's no break in buildings between them with Weshtill, then Cradlehall, then Inches.  EK and Greenock are towns that are quite clearly separate from Glasgow.  

It would be like saying Ardersier (a village, not a housing estate) is part of Inverness, when there's clearly 5 miles of coastline and field between them.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

Well no, given Culloden/Smithton/Balloch are housing estates and there's no break in buildings between them with Weshtill, then Cradlehall, then Inches.  EK and Greenock are towns that are quite clearly separate from Glasgow.  

It would be like saying Ardersier (a village, not a housing estate) is part of Inverness, when there's clearly 5 miles of coastline and field between them.

Culloden was a place long before it was a housing estate. It was absorbed into Inverness, and then became a “housing estate”, when the Highland Council started the process of centralising everything into Inverness at the expense of other towns and villages in the Highlands (but that’s for another thread).

Is the consensus here now that anywhere that maintains a single urban conurbation loses all rights to be viewed as a distinct entity. Clydebank, Paisley, Bearsden, Rutherglen, Bishopbriggs, etc: all Glasgow.

I will start the petition to have Gourock and Port Glasgow renamed as West Greenock and East Greenock right away. 

Is the consensus here now that anywhere that maintains a single urban conurbation loses all rights to be viewed as a distinct entity. Clydebank, Paisley, Bearsden, Rutherglen, Bishopbriggs, etc: all Glasgow.
I will start the petition to have Gourock and Port Glasgow renamed as West Greenock and East Greenock right away. 

Being able to assume that kind of primacy over your neighbours is presumably one of the attractions of city status.

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

If you take Aberdeen as an example, the area of Torry considered itself to be a separate royal burgh up until the latest 1800s, although residents there will consider themselves to be part of Aberdeen (just as folk in the former villages of Bucksburn, Dyce and Cove* generally would).

On the other hand, comparing two other places separated only by a bridge, prepare to have your head mounted on a spike if you say to some people from Fife Keith that they're from Keith.  Thing is, they were originally built right next door (ie. nothing was 'swallowed up').

Perhaps the perception is down to some areas retaining a distinct and identifiable town-sized centre comparable to any other large town out on its own?  Compare the central hub scale of Paisley to that of Dunfermline for example, and that one could realistically 'get by' without leaving either?  That said, even Dyce has its own set of shops, academy and a big Asda masquerading as a 'shopping centre'.

*AFC's big "one city, one club" thing worked out well.

Edited by Hedgecutter

31 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Inverkip, Wemyss Bay, Dunoon and the Isle of Bute are also part of the city state of Greenock. 

47 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

As someone who went to St Andrews I can confirm this. It was full of horribly inbred minor Euro aristos who would have VW Golfs and live in rented castles and farmhouses. I loved it though. It’s a pretty swish place these days. 

Cracking humblebrag from yourself here Shando.

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Invergowrie's detachment is within living memory. The new housing estates that basically join it to Dundee went up in the 80s and 90s. 

Is that not stretching it a bit?

My grandparents lived there and we visited a lot during the 70s and 80s.  It always felt, to this outsider at least, very much joined onto Dundee.  I can't really remember a stage of the journey between the two that wasn't built up.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Is that not stretching it a bit?

My grandparents lived there and we visited a lot during the 70s and 80s.  It always felt, to this outsider at least, very much joined onto Dundee.  I can't really remember a stage of the journey between the two that wasn't built up.

The Tech Park was built in 1984 and Millbay Garden/Terrace around same time. Before that everything south of ninewells and west of ninewells avenue was fields. 

The houses immediately west of Ninewells avenue were built late 90s.

Remember when I was wee having to walk through the fields to get to the doctors at Ninewells.

We are talking less than a mile but definite separation. 

Can you tell I'm on my holidays and already bored?

Screenshot_20211224-142334_Maps.jpg

13 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The Tech Park was built in 1984 and Millbay Garden/Terrace around same time. Before that everything south of ninewells and west of ninewells avenue was fields. 

Remember when I was wee having to walk through the fields to get to the doctors at Ninewells.

image.png.4db4861dcd93d43e75ed3f2bf4fcc182.png

I'm at work bored

27 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Screenshot_20211224-142334_Maps.jpg

Ach, you'll obviously be right.

My memory was based more on driving in and along the Perth Road rather than walking it.

I often think of Invergowrie at this time of year as we always visited just before Christmas.  But for a brief detour when up to a Queens game a few years ago, I've not been to the place for almost 30 years.

Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee will always be the only cities in Scotland IMO.
To call other towns a city somewhat devalues it for me. I get the old ‘having a Cathedral’ thing in the past but a city should have a certain population to qualify these days.
Dunfermline will always be the ‘Auld Grey Toun’

1 minute ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee will always be the only cities in Scotland IMO.
To call other towns a city somewhat devalues it for me. I get the old ‘having a Cathedral’ thing in the past but a city should have a certain population to qualify these days.
Dunfermline will always be the ‘Auld Grey Toun’

I always think of it as any settlement with a population of under 100,000 has a hard neck calling itself a city. So that would just be the 4 cities you mention.