VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We don’t have goal line technology in Scotland do we?

What is the policy on using VAR to adjudicate goal line disputes when GLT isn’t used? VAR can normally be used in the following circumstances:

1) To determine whether offside or a foul has occurred in the lead up to a goal

2) To determine whether a penalty should be awarded

3) To determine whether a player has committed an offence worthy of a red card

4) To determine if mistaken identity has occurred and the wrong player has received a card

However, most competitions that have VAR (e.g., the World Cup, premier league, champions league etc) also use GLT. If you have VAR without GLT then can it be used to determine whether the ball has crossed the line? 

Sensible decision. I get that it moves things away further from some traditions, but if the technology is there, is used correctly and is affordable, then why would we not bring it in?

The standard of officiating in Scotland is truly terrible, so any tool that helps improve that can only be a good thing.

The alternative to not having VAR is fans watching pretty much every game from any other country have VAR and teams play in European games with VAR and not domestically. Would end up be a complete mess.

Where I do want changes to VAR though is to get rid of the wee lines to check if someone is offside by a millimetre. Maybe Scotland could lead on this and add some kind of buffer here?

On the face of it, bringing it in mid season seems stupid, but guessing that coming off the back of the mid season break for the world cup and us all being used to seeing VAR in each game, folk will buy in more.

All that aside, I fear we will lose a bit of the spontaneity of celebrating a goal, which will be a sad day.  

Guest Flash
4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Much is it per club like? 

It depends on Premiership clubs’ finishing position. Goes from 16.29% of the cost for the champions to 5.63% for 11th and 12th.

VAR

1 minute ago, Theyellowbox said:

The alternative to not having VAR is fans watching pretty much every game from any other country have VAR and teams play in European games with VAR and not domestically. Would end up be a complete mess.

Why would that make a difference? Who cares what other leagues do?

2 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Where I do want changes to VAR though is to get rid of the wee lines to check if someone is offside by a millimetre. Maybe Scotland could lead on this and add some kind of buffer here?

All that aside, I fear we will lose a bit of the spontaneity of celebrating a goal, which will be a sad day.  

You'll be hoping for such changes for a very long time then, as they aren't going to happen any time soon.

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

It depends on Premiership clubs’ finishing position. Goes from 16.29% of the cost for the champions to 5.63% for 11th and 12th.

VAR

67k for bottom club isn’t too bad thought it would be dearer to be honest. But again the fact Celtic And Rangers will only pay about 150k more than bottom club is bit hmmmm. 

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Why would that make a difference? Who cares what other leagues do?

Because, you will find that scottish footballs fans to a man, woman and child, will watch some form of football outside Scotland.

Natural instinct, will be that if you see it everywhere else, you will eventually expect to see it here.

I get that it feels like a big change and a move away from what we know, but it will happen eventually regardless, so best to go with it. If we always had this view, we'd still be playing with rope crossbars, one handed throw in, no backpack rule and no subs. Game has always evolved.

I think it’s probably more likely here that football fans, players and managers have an unhealthy attitude to refereeing decisions. 

particularly over a league season, do refereeing decisions really have a material impact on league placings? I doubt it. Aberdeen have had bad decisions this season but fundamentally we are bad at football and we are where we deserve. 

It’s an imperfect sport and I’d rather just accept that than investing millions in technology that makes a marginal improvement. 

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

We don’t have goal line technology in Scotland do we?

What is the policy on using VAR to adjudicate goal line disputes when GLT isn’t used? VAR can normally be used in the following circumstances:

1) To determine whether offside or a foul has occurred in the lead up to a goal

However, most competitions that have VAR (e.g., the World Cup, premier league, champions league etc) also use GLT. If you have VAR without GLT then can it be used to determine whether the ball has crossed the line? 

Of course it can be used to check whether the ball has crossed the line - VAR is checking for goal/no goal so it is not as narrow as just an offside or a foul, it could be the ball out of play, handball etc as well, anything in the attacking phase of play.

Presumably there will be a static camera in line with the goal line which should cover most cases where there is a close call.

Funnily enough, there was an incident in the Bundesliga recently where GLT gave a goal but VAR double checked and saw it had not crossed the line!

13 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Sensible decision. I get that it moves things away further from some traditions, but if the technology is there, is used correctly and is affordable, then why would we not bring it in?

I’m not having a go here, but can you define ‘using VAR correctly’ please?

My feeling would be that referees and the SFA have a very, very different definition for that to the vast majority of fans. Which is where the big problem lies. 

Whatever the pros and cons the complete disregard for the views of fans who attend matches would be the most galling if I wasn't just immune to it now.

I get that TV utterly controls bigger leagues as they completely fund those leagues. The tail is wagging the dog here yet again though. 

Pay 30 quid to to a game on a Sunday lunch time and wait 5 minutes until we tell you if you can celebrate or not.

This is the crux of it for me.

You see football as “entertainment”. 

I see it as a competitive sport where the players and teams deserve it to be fairly officiated.

I suggest you go to the theatre instead, then you’ll get the drama you want. 

You don't watch football to be entertained? You must be a barrel of laughs at the game.

I would love to see you're reaction the first time the VAR chalks a goal off for your side. While others around go nuts you'll calmly sit down thinking "Settle down lads, that was absolutely fair. Lets all relax".

12 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Because, you will find that scottish footballs fans to a man, woman and child, will watch some form of football outside Scotland.

Natural instinct, will be that if you see it everywhere else, you will eventually expect to see it here.

I get that it feels like a big change and a move away from what we know, but it will happen eventually regardless, so best to go with it. If we always had this view, we'd still be playing with rope crossbars, one handed throw in, no backpack rule and no subs. Game has always evolved.

Who plays football while wearing a backpack?

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think it’s probably more likely here that football fans, players and managers have an unhealthy attitude to refereeing decisions. 

particularly over a league season, do refereeing decisions really have a material impact on league placings? I doubt it. Aberdeen have had bad decisions this season but fundamentally we are bad at football and we are where we deserve. 

It’s an imperfect sport and I’d rather just accept that than investing millions in technology that makes a marginal improvement. 

I'm maybe getting calmer as I get older - but other than moaning at the time during the game, Refereeing decisions aren't a big deal to me - I don't think anyone is against us (since Craig Thomson retired :) ) and I don't think we have been mistreated over the piece. 

I'm actually pretty gutted that VAR has been waved through as I think it will make matchday poorer and I couldn't give a f**k about how the league looks on TV.