COP26 Glasgow 31st OCT to 12th NOV

wastecoatwilly

6 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:
9 minutes ago, Michael W said:
Getting a good laugh at the various journalists failing to get to Glasgow for this. 

Scottish Infrastructure thread for their moans and groans surely.

Southern issues, tbh. Trees on the line and bad weather. 

6 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Has anyone on her got an electric car?

COP26: How easy is it to drive from London to Glasgow using an electric car? | UK News | Sky News

Is this in any way accurate regarding having difficulty charging? 

Not sure I'd be driving that length of journey in an electric car. 

I've got one, a Corsa. Max range is quoted as 200 miles, but depends on ambient temperature, how fast you drive, and if you use the heating and A/C or not. Normally I get 100-120 mile between charges, but that's not taking it anywhere near to 'empty'. The longest I've used it was a break down Jedburgh way (I stay in Dunfermline). Charging was not a particular issue as long as you have it planned, and the advantage in that area is charging is free via the Charge Place Scotland scheme.

We normally charge at home, and if needing to charge when out use the Charge Place Scotland facilities. These are normally run by the local authorities, and used to be mainly free but most areas are now introducing charges. There are plenty of commercial charging sites where you can pay to use them, charges vary depending on how you pay or if you are a member of that particular network. This will be the most expensive way to charge, especially at motorway service areas. At best it will be cheaper than petrol for a conventional car, at worst about the same or slightly more depending how how much the operator of the point wants to milk you.

So, in answer to your question, I don't think it would be too difficult to go from London to Glasgow, as long as you plan ahead, and charge sooner rather than later. It would be unwise to plan to get to a charge point just as you run out, only to find the point is not working. So always charge 1 or 2 points before you really need to.

We use the EV for day to day stuff, and if going longer use the diesel car.

Have a look at Zap Map, it shows all the charging points in the country.

(ps a neighbour has a Tesla, its range is almost double mine)

Edited by Soapy FFC

20 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

I've got one, a Corsa. Max range is quoted as 200 miles, but depends on ambient temperature, how fast you drive, and if you use the heating and A/C or not. Normally I get 100-120 mile between charges, but that's not taking it anywhere near to 'empty'. The longest I've used it was a break down Jedburgh way (I stay in Dunfermline). Charging was not a particular issue as long as you have it planned, and the advantage in that area is charging is free via the Charge Place Scotland scheme.

We normally charge at home, and if needing to charge when out use the Charge Place Scotland facilities. These are normally run by the local authorities, and used to be mainly free but most areas are now introducing charges. There are plenty of commercial charging sites where you can pay to use them, charges vary depending on how you pay or if you are a member of that particular network. This will be the most expensive way to charge, especially at motorway service areas. At best it will be cheaper than petrol for a conventional car, at worst about the same or slightly more depending how how much the operator of the point wants to milk you.

So, in answer to your question, I don't think it would be too difficult to go from London to Glasgow, as long as you plan ahead, and charge sooner rather than later. It would be unwise to plan to get to a charge point just as you run out, only to find the point is not working. So always charge 1 or 2 points before you really need to.

We use the EV for day to day stuff, and if going longer use the diesel car.

Have a look at Zap Map, it shows all the charging points in the country.

(ps a neighbour has a Tesla, its range is almost double mine)

See if you run out of electricity before you get to a charging point, how much electricty does the petrol cans hold?

2 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

See if you run out of electricity before you get to a charging point, how much electricty does the petrol cans hold?

I think the RAC and AA can give you a charge to get you to the nearest point. Either that you need to carry a lot of duracells with you.

8 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 hour ago, welshbairn said:
"You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words. And yet I'm one of the lucky ones." 

Her mother is a good speech writer.

You say that like it's a bad thing, if true.

11 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Greta arrived in Glasgow last evening.The absolute seethe she brings out in red faced middle aged men is worth the hassle of this taking place in Glasgow 

3 hours ago, steve55 said:

FDBfqyRWQAA-ae2?format=jpg&name=900x900

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Do you have reason to think it's true though, or is it just a gobby teenager mouthing off that annoys you? 

She came to Glasgow via train from Euston. Looks very environmentally friendly, better photo-op than arriving at Glasgow airport by plane.  

I don’t know how she got to London Euston but I’ll wager it was via Heathrow, then a transfer then the train.

She’d have generated less carbon by arriving direct.  

Just now, alta-pete said:

She came to Glasgow via train from Euston. Looks very environmentally friendly, better photo-op than arriving at Glasgow airport by plane.  

I don’t know how she got to London Euston but I’ll wager it was via Heathrow, then a transfer then the train.

She’d have generated less carbon by arriving direct.  

You would lose that wager 😉