Normal Island

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

If these handful of anodyne stories are the best they can find over almost a century then she presumably wasn't actually that great a person.

That's something that's struck me.

We keep being told that she had this remarkably good sense of humour and was very down to earth. 

However, the anecdotes wheeled out as evidence are invariably, irredeemably shit.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We keep being told that she had this remarkably good sense of humour and was very down to earth. 

However, the anecdotes wheeled out as evidence are invariably, irredeemably shit.

In fairness, I think a sense of humour would be a pre-requisite to keep you sane during that job of sheer and utter stupidity 

Peado protectors out in force.
Lot of "time and a place" going on. Fucking hell. 'We'll forget you're a nonce until she's buried Andrew!'

Absolute fucking state of this country. Said it before and this has just strengthened my belief: when that nonce dies Twitter is going to be full of "he had his faults but let him RIP" bullshit.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Lot of "time and a place" going on. Fucking hell. 'We'll forget you're a nonce until she's buried Andrew!'

Absolute fucking state of this country. Said it before and this has just strengthened my belief: when that nonce dies Twitter is going to be full of "he had his faults but let him RIP" bullshit.

SavileChuckles.jpg.5ff16eb70304107b9691e66e8b66a671.jpgAndrewEpstein.jpg.960089d9e568d79b01313ac353dd7307.jpg

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I wonder how many of the knuckle-dragging “time and place” serfs would also be the first to hurl a brick through the window of a paediatrician’s house (as long as he or she didn’t have an HRH).

30 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We had a wee family gathering at the weekend and the subject of the Queen dying inevitably came up. We were trying to remember something memorable that the Queen had said.  At the end of it all, and despite having a couple of fervent Unionists among us, was that she had once mentioned an "annus horribilus". That was it.

35 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

True. Limmy met her at a charity do once though, and apparently she was surprisingly down to earth and VERY funny. Maybe he can share some better anecdotes.

5 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

We had a wee family gathering at the weekend and the subject of the Queen dying inevitably came up. We were trying to remember something memorable that the Queen had said.  At the end of it all, and despite having a couple of fervent Unionists among us, was that she had once mentioned an "annus horribilus". That was it.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Been thinking that for decades; whenever there was a jubilee, or someone in her family died, there'd be a deluge of press discussing how funny, entertaining, and generally brilliant she was.

It couldn't be more obvious that none of it was true, and it's incredibly disturbing that millions of people convinced themselves that a deeply boring woman, who never even managed to look comfortable on camera despite more media training and practice than anyone in the country, was in any way personally interesting or talented. Even the bland anecdotes that people consider examples of humour are normally just an immensely privileged woman flatly pointing out that she had immense privilege, with any humorous intent entirely in the mind of the teller, as...well, if she wasn't joking, it really doesn't sound very good.

It's all self-justification. If these folk are as ordinary and dull as they appear, you'd need to be a special kind of weirdo to worship them. So they worship fictional representations.

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Come on @Ric, get on with it.

Let the poor man mourn in peace, FFS.