Normal Island

Wrexham University professor dropped over road sign post - BBC News

Wrexham University professor dropped over bilingual road sign post

A professor has lost a university role after he described the use of the Welsh language on road signs as "potentially dangerous".

Nigel Hunt, a visiting psychology professor at Wrexham University posted the comments on social media. He said he got a letter from the university's vice chancellor, dismissing him from the honorary position. The university confirmed Prof Hunt no longer worked there.

Prof Hunt, who lives in Derbyshire, said he was "disappointed" by the college's "knee-jerk" reaction, branding it a "free speech issue". He was 13 months into a three-year role as a visiting professor.

"They were saying they were going to do an internal inquiry into it, which seems to be on all the media around, and there doesn't seem to have been an internal inquiry," he said. "I was driving back from Wales when this all blew up and the following morning I received the letter saying my contract was terminated."

Prof Hunt said his view that road signs should only be in English was based on science, not any feelings against the Welsh language. Prof Hunt, who is undergoing treatment for cancer and is based at Nottingham University, said it had been some time since he had taught at Wrexham because of his condition.

Wrexham University said: "We have ended our visiting arrangements with Prof Hunt, and he no longer has a relationship with the university."

On 12/10/2023 at 18:34, southernrover said:

I genuinely don't care what other people do (by and large) but, erm:

Bride Sarah Wilkinson saves for 20 years to wed herself - BBC News

Well she’s certainly got a couple of things going for her.

17 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Lozza is taking his sacking well.

Can only assume DHOTYA is already well on top of this. 

The conpulsion to tell lies on the Internet is the greatest affliction of the gammon. Even moreso than the more immediatelt apparent issues like blood pressure and cholesterol