Normal Island

People who think there are too many people in the world seldom seem to think of themselves as part of the problem.  Like the driver of a car with no passengers, sitting in a traffic jam and seething about how bloody congested the roads are these days.

4 hours ago, SH Panda said:

If it's any comfort, the idea that the current generation of kids are too soft has been around since the dawn of time, certainly since the beginning of written records. They will be fine, everyone else was. Indeed with the dramatic decrease in the birth rate and the increase in the median age of parents - this generation should surely be the best raised ever. They will also benefit from a system designed for a lot more children.

Secondly, re benefit claimaints, if someone is willing to feign a disability, able to fool the notoriously difficult tests, all for the victory of a small amount of extra money to stay at home all day - these people are more worthy of sympathy than scorn. They are hardly winning at life if that is their ambition.

I additionally have sympathy as the idea of gaming the system is entrenched in all classes, and most so in the wealthiest. They wouldn't bat an eyelid structuring their taxes or minimising their capital gains, why are only the poor desperate people stygmatised? Indeed, I spend a lot of time around wealthy people, they constantly talk about gaming the system for their advantage - it's almost as if the two qualities are linked...

I do it too, I have never batted an eyelid at watching content for free online, recently met someone who wouldn't do it as they found it unethical (which actually shocked me tbh).

The stat a few years ago is that far more benefits go unclaimed than are lost to benefit fraud. Probably still true now.

I would go down the universal basic income route personally.

Folk who complain about "benefit scroungers" have rarely been on benefits for any time themselves, or they'd know what a miserable life it is. If someone is actually happy scraping by with so little, that's sad but it's their life; not everybody has ambitions beyond basic survival.

People who think they'd be as well not working and claiming benefits should give it a go and report back. They never do, which tells you everything you need to know; they just want somebody to look down on in order to feel better about themselves. They'd never sit on their arse getting handouts because they're a better class of person. It doesn't seem to occur that they're thought of in the same way by the people who have actual wealth.

20 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

I've never been more assured of me and my wife's decision not to have kids than when reading this thread.

Clearly haven't seen idiocracy, when our generation is dribbling into soup I wonder what state the world will be in.......

23 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

World's population is too high IMO. Need another major conflict/plague to bring it back to manageable levels.

For somebody who often posts message such as "have a great day everybody" I think you might be having a bit of a mood swing here.

12 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

For somebody who often posts message such as "have a great day everybody" I think you might be having a bit of a mood swing here.

I had a coffee and felt better.

Have a great day xxx

On 10/06/2024 at 14:06, Richey Edwards said:

World's population is too high IMO. Need another major conflict/plague to bring it back to manageable levels.

I foresee something like a bee crisis, causing food production to fall to critical levels. 

Such would be the desperation that custodial sentences would get dished out for stamping on not just bees., but even those evil ba5tard pollinators the wasps.

Just now, Hedgecutter said:

I foresee something like a bee crisis, causing food production to fall to critical levels. 

Such would be the desperation that custodial sentences would get dished out for stamping on not just bees., but even those evil ba5tard pollinators the wasps.

Asian hornets. Utter b@st@rds.

34 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Asian hornets. Utter b@st@rds.

I spent most of the video waiting for them to mention how the bees form a ball around the arseholes and boil them alive. Clearly the Americans need to send out for some Japanese bee teachers to show their own bees how to handle hornets.

Also, yes, as a total psychopath I'm clearly going to run out and watch some of those videos where complete wrong 'uns lock insects in a container and film them tearing each other apart. Thanks for the recommendation, Vice!  :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, BFTD said:

I'm pretty sure scud books aren't a thing in 2024. Thinking about it, were they even still a thing in 2004?

They'd just be a series of Private Society video screencaps at this point, surely.

They certainly were a thing in 1974 when I served an apprenticeship in a factory in Scotstoun.  And recycling was in full swing.

On 10/06/2024 at 21:19, welshbairn said:

Meanwhile Elon Musk is handing out bags of his spunk and turkey basters to his female employees.

Ironic considering his cars are driven by total w@nkers

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

I spent most of the video waiting for them to mention how the bees form a ball around the arseholes and boil them alive. Clearly the Americans need to send out for some Japanese bee teachers to show their own bees how to handle hornets.

Also, yes, as a total psychopath I'm clearly going to run out and watch some of those videos where complete wrong 'uns lock insects in a container and film them tearing each other apart. Thanks for the recommendation, Vice!  :rolleyes:

That hornet cnut looks familiar

alloaath.jpg.f40642077c84be88a1f91b000dded78a.jpg

On 10/06/2024 at 14:06, Richey Edwards said:

There’s a school of thought that the plague (Black Death edition)  caused the renaissance. Something to do with a scarcity of labour driving up prices and expectations for the labouring classes, increased social mobility, actual mobility and investment in skills. 

Nature will get us eventually, but will have to do better than Covid. Fortunately we’ll help out with the old climate change and crowding poor people into mega cities.

You know when you see something and in your head immediately go that's one for the normal island thread

Touring billionaire who charges hundreds of pounds per person to see her donates to food bank 

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

You know when you see something and in your head immediately go that's one for the normal island thread

Touring billionaire who charges hundreds of pounds per person to see her donates to food bank 

Hoping she showed up with bags of pasta, beans and pot noodles rather than just handing over cash.

Put in the effort, Swift.

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

There’s a school of thought that the plague (Black Death edition)  caused the renaissance. Something to do with a scarcity of labour driving up prices and expectations for the labouring classes, increased social mobility, actual mobility and investment in skills. 

Nature will get us eventually, but will have to do better than Covid. Fortunately we’ll help out with the old climate change and crowding poor people into mega cities.

there's an idea...

dredd.jpg.aea57f67f3d40d4667754501c8744d9d.jpg

3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Far be it from me to be sticking up for Taylor Swift but it's a relatively nice gesture no? A lot of superstars have not made a similar gesture

8 hours ago, Tartan Dave said:

Far be it from me to be sticking up for Taylor Swift but it's a relatively nice gesture no? A lot of superstars have not made a similar gesture

its a fine thing for her to do,fair play to her

it should,however,be of the greatest embarrasment to the oafs that run the country that a foreign superstar feels they need to help our starving

1 hour ago, highlandmac said:

its a fine thing for her to do,fair play to her

it should,however,be of the greatest embarrasment to the oafs that run the country that a foreign superstar feels they need to help our starving

Credit where credit is due, Sunak is more than happy for pop icons to feed our starving poor so that he can concentrate on providing Sky TV to these same people.

Everybody wins.

Vote Tory, peeps.........

14 hours ago, Tartan Dave said:

As long as she gets the media praise from it to highlight how amazing a person she is... 

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

As long as she gets the media praise from it to highlight how amazing a person she is... 

charitee.jpg.9dd4d294f08eaa1e69b7fc5cec0bc42a.jpg

This actually is a photo of Taylor Swift...!