Normal Island

"Queue for Queen’s lying in state could be 10 miles long

The queuing infrastructure for the Queen’s lying in state is 10 miles in length, it is understood.

This includes 6.9 miles from Victoria Tower Gardens to Southwark Park, with a further 3 miles inside Southwark Park.

It is understood that not everyone who makes the queue will be guaranteed to get to see the Queen’s lying in state.

To help avoid disappointment, entry to the back of the line may be closed early, to ensure as near as possible that those already waiting are able to file past the Queen’s coffin.

Entry to the queue will also be paused for a time if the queuing infrastructure cannot take any more people."

The Queen is dead

Just like the guy who played Father Ted

But he was more funny

She cost the public a load of money

No wonder they are all feeling down

Now Big Ears is wearing the crown.

She was the Queen

She had a role that could not be played by Charlie Sheen

Or Steve McQueen

She did not drink Jim Beam

She never played the Tambourine

She never hit the gym to let off steam

She never watched Sky Sports on a dodgy stream

And complained about it buffering

I hope her passing was without suffering

And she never feels the need to swear or curse

Even when she is lying in a hearse

Being driven by Lewis Hamilton

I hope her teeth are not chattering

I hope she finds this poem flattering

And finds no reason to complain

Because it’s over like her reign.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

"She never hit the gym to let off steam

She never watched Sky Sports on a dodgy stream

And complained about it buffering

I hope her passing was without suffering"

A fitting tribute. Hope those #bars can fit on her headstone. 

5 hours ago, Stringer Bell said:

20220914_091615.thumb.jpg.ed4c111761e906d4a3311a8264105a6a.jpg20220914_091622.jpg.22ef1d315b6320441c9405f30b04e399.jpg

I wonder if she's considered what the millions who've already been enjoying the "satisfaction of thrift" for a decade or more are going to do, while well-paid middle-class journalists are having to cut back on their "endless consumer binges".

The stuff about the monarchy being thrifty because they insisted that the private yacht bought for them by the public shouldn't have gold taps...this is clickbait, surely. I mean, it's technically true...I could be considered pretty thrifty if I managed to persuade the local council to pay for my groceries, I suppose, no matter how much I spent.

It doesn't show that and in fact can't show possibly that till after we see what happens in England 
When they moved the Rangers vs Napoli match it was because the police were going to have to deal with hundreds of thousands of people in Edinburgh. That conspicuously didn't happen. The real story in Scotland wasn't the thousands of people on the royal mile or the dozens of protestors it's the massive apathy as the people of the capital just put their collective head down and let this blow over.
You being a lot further away and following things on TV will have had a very different view of  events in Edinburgh over the last few days very differently from those of us who actually live here.
The Telegraph on the other hand are being deliberately obtuse
Gauging Scotland's opinion of the Monarchy from a subset of Scots who turned out for a Royal event is a textbook example of the perils of a self selecting sample

Of the 33k that did file passed her coffin I would hazard a guess at close to half being non Scots residents given the demographic in the news vox pop pieces.

2 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

"Queue for Queen’s lying in state could be 10 miles long

The queuing infrastructure for the Queen’s lying in state is 10 miles in length, it is understood.

This includes 6.9 miles from Victoria Tower Gardens to Southwark Park, with a further 3 miles inside Southwark Park.

It is understood that not everyone who makes the queue will be guaranteed to get to see the Queen’s lying in state.

To help avoid disappointment, entry to the back of the line may be closed early, to ensure as near as possible that those already waiting are able to file past the Queen’s coffin.

Entry to the queue will also be paused for a time if the queuing infrastructure cannot take any more people."

Is this from the same field of mathematic illiteracy that before each royal wedding calmly predicts that the event will be watched by an audience equivalent of about 9 SuperBowls?

I remember someone doing a study of these fantasy figures (all given in advance of the William/Kate wedding by the papers) and still quoted as accurate afterwards, despite being completely made up and clearly implausible even in advance (unless about half the planet’s TV set owners were set to watch, which unsurprisingly they didn’t).

35 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Harry Hewitt has 5 medals on his chest.

I take it his late granny awarded these ?

'World's Best Grandson' ?

'Jim Fixed It For Me' ?

Gold, Diamond & Platinum Jubilee ? WTF ?????????????

Farcical.

He’ll have one for flying helicopters in Afghanistan.

You don’t have to do much to get a medal