Normal Island

2 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I've never been able to understand how the people most outraged at the idea of their taxes being used to help people worse off than them, are so utterly delighted at the idea of their taxes being used to help people astronomically better off than them.

Perhaps one of P&B's monarchists can explain it to me? I'll wait.

16 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I've never been able to understand how the people most outraged at the idea of their taxes being used to help people worse off than them, are so utterly delighted at the idea of their taxes being used to help people astronomically better off than them.

It’s a bit like how the same people who squeal about MPs’ expenses will kowtow to the idea of the aristocracy getting shedloads of cash spent on their baubles and jollies. They truly believe in the deserving and undeserving rich. Those born to fancy titles deserve adulation and vast sums spent on them. Those who were - ugh - elected by the grubby masses are troughers, though.

It’s beyond their wit to realise that the royals and MPs are all actually riding the same gravy train - and the former have the first-class tickets.

I feel as if I had been watching old grainy clips of the queens coronation since I was young and thinking to myself, that looks like fun, look forward to seeing the next one on TV.

Well it was was fucking shit, boring as hell and far too religous for the times we now live in. Even the multi cultural things they incorporated felt forced and were put in to tick some kind of box. The people who were there to fawn over the family couldn't care less about the far flung colonies and their inhabitants that are over here taking their jobs etc etc.

Happy to have seen it in some perverse morbid curiousity. Will be cutting the grass or something at the next one. Waste of a fucking day.

7 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I feel as if I had been watching old grainy clips of the queens coronation since I was young and thinking to myself, that looks like fun, look forward to seeing the next one on TV.

Well it was was fucking shit, boring as hell and far too religous for the times we now live in. Even the multi cultural things they incorporated felt forced and were put in to tick some kind of box. The people who were there to fawn over the family couldn't care less about the far flung colonies and their inhabitants that are over here taking their jobs etc etc.

Happy to have seen it in some perverse morbid curiousity. Will be cutting the grass or something at the next one. Waste of a fucking day.

Doesn’t look like you’ll have long to wait. I managed to avoid watching any of it, but couldn’t avoid the stills. Is the pathetic old tosser as decrepit in motion as he is in the photos? Because he looks like he’s almost dead.

49F3F417-8B38-4D18-BAE1-81E4EB9B607B.jpeg

17 minutes ago, highlandmac said:

drove from inverness to lossiemouth via elgin today,made me quite proud that there was absolutely no sign that there was any coronation on for the entire journey there and backj

Just as well that there is a route that avoids Nairn High Street where there was a significant expression of union jackery.

Nairn is not conventionally normal.

"Nairn - not conventionally normal"

A wee bit Royston Vasey, but still likely a better slogan than whatever the council next pay a consultancy firm to dream up.

My mate did a one man play in Nairn a few weeks ago and everyone in the audience, to a man and woman, was English. Everyone.

So judging the entire town by that sample size of 27 I'm not remotely surprised they're a town of rabid forelock tuggers.

4 hours ago, Shotgun said:

There definitely is the disdain for the poor and vulnerable involved. Some of them maybe think they'll get a bigger crumb from masters table if they show delight at the royals vast wealth and immense privilege.

If I had a guess most of them probably have thoughts along the lines of:

"oh they look so smart in the robes"

"Charles has waited an awfy long time"

"But tourism!"

"the carriage looks amazing, it makes Britain great!"

"WATP"

Edited by Oceanlineayr

4 minutes ago, Oceanlineayr said:

There definitely is the disdain for the poor and vulnerable involved. Some of them maybe think they'll get a bigger crumb from masters table if they show delight at the royals vast wealth and immense privilege.

If I had a guess most of them probably have thoughts along the lines of:

"oh they look so smart in the robes"

"Charles has waited an awfy long time"

"But tourism!"

"the carriage looks amazing, it makes Britain great!"

"WATP"

The tourism one is the most laughable, especially when trotted out by folk living anywhere but London. In one desperate argument, they’re admitting there’s no good constitutional reason for this freakshow (and Charlie, as far as I know, didn’t swear allegiance to the London tourist board today), that the head of state might as well only be monarch of Greater London, and that even London would be better served by having the Charles Darwin statue outside the Natural History Museum (London’s biggest tourist draw) as its leader.

3 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I'd have thought the Bristol might have made a special effort for the big day instead of just their usual decor.

Thanks for posting. The Rangers dressing room looks great. Wonder if any pubs did anything.