Normal Island

13 minutes ago, highlandmac said:

It's inflation,not interest rates,they're trying to counter

Great mystery of life #22.

The BoE says that the only way (they've got) to control inflation is to raise interest rates. The government says inflation is the real enemy and it must be brought down. Government then encourages lenders to introduce measures to help some mortgage holders avoid the worst consequences of increased interest rates, thus making the rises in interest rates less effective.  Hmmm...

Thank eff that we don't have a mortgage any more. Our younger lad is about demented trying to get a flat as every time he thinks he knows how much he can borrow and looks around at the market, the mortgage deals change.

1 hour ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Great mystery of life #22.

The BoE says that the only way (they've got) to control inflation is to raise interest rates. The government says inflation is the real enemy and it must be brought down. Government then encourages lenders to introduce measures to help some mortgage holders avoid the worst consequences of increased interest rates, thus making the rises in interest rates less effective.  Hmmm...

Thank eff that we don't have a mortgage any more. Our younger lad is about demented trying to get a flat as every time he thinks he knows how much he can borrow and looks around at the market, the mortgage deals change.

I remember 30 years ago Government policy in regard to using interest rates to control inflation being likened to a "1 club golfer"

I would bore you more with what I can remember from my A in Higher Economics but I'm going to the pub to bore then instead 

4 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I remember 30 years ago Government policy in regard to using interest rates to control inflation being likened to a "1 club golfer"

I would bore you more with what I can remember from my A in Higher Economics but I'm going to the pub to bore then instead 

Thank heavens for that

I did four years of Economics at University

I've been bored enough already

9 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Some dick from Bristol thought carving his birds name on The Colosseum was a good shout.

I think he might have been arrested now - the fanny.

romanes.jpg.77f1749cbd99ffffd85a640f46451f82.jpg

At least Brian's was grammatically correct

Two things:

1) I was quite impressed to learn during a visit to one of the forts on Hadrian's Wall that the Roman soldiers used to draw cocks on the wall for good luck.  Plutarch records that Centurion Throbberius of the XIth Legion was well known for his artistic skill.

2) South Edinburgh has  been covered with graffiti by daft p***ks. I find it a bit sad. 

No, no.... nothing to see here, don't look over here, look over there... boats! Boats! LOOK OVER THERE AT THE BOATS!

Meanwhile...  https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/uk-drops-global-workers-rights-161046826.html

Tory paradise quote from article... 

"WORKERS’ rights in the UK have been degraded to the extent the country now ranks among despotic regimes such as Saudi Arabia and Vietnam, according to new global ratings.

The UK has dropped in International Trade Union Confederation’s (ITUC) annual report on workers’ rights, falling from a rating of three – countries where the ITUC considers there to be a “regular violation of rights” – to four, where the confederation says there is are “systemic” violations."

Reminds me of the Two Ronnie's "and finally" report ages ago "And the Pound had another very bad day, closing in at only 2.4 against the Mato-Bealy Gumbo Bean".

5 hours ago, approximately dave said:

At least you would be warmer in that than an actual sausage roll from Greggs.

12 hours ago, pub car king said:

BBC News - Captain Sir Tom Moore's daughter ordered to demolish home spa

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-66100178

Oh dear 

She even called it the "Captain Tom Building".

You have to respect the grift.

If you're going to do it, be 100% shameless.

Edited by Steve_Wilkos

On 30/06/2023 at 08:25, Leith Green said:

Some dick from Bristol thought carving his birds name on The Colosseum was a good shout.

I think he might have been arrested now - the fanny.

English tourist accused of carving name in Colosseum says he did not realise its age

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/05/english-tourist-accused-of-carving-name-in-colosseum-says-he-did-not-realise-its-age