Normal Island

4 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Time for a new thread... "These people are entitled to vote."

Euthanasia Thread - when will Brexit allow us the freedom to be put to sleep with our vicious sharkhounds if we so choose?

Not sure this is the right thread for this but.

The Metropolitan Police have opened an investigation into the Post Office / Horizon / Fujitsu scandal. Now this is something that has been ongoing for years, over a decade, and has been widely covered in the press, there have been court cases and appeals etc. None of this prompted an overall criminal investigation by the Met but it seems an ITV drama four parter has. I have seen the series, I’m sure it’s excellent and I’m glad police are looking into it but what justification can there possibly be for opening an investigation on the back of this? Bizarre.

In other strange news, a prominent blogger has departed Twitter after being ‘called out’ for his co-option of the Post Office scandal. Simon Harris, who run several blogs and Favebook pages, most prominently a parenting blog called Men Behaving Dadly. Harris set up and publicised a Go Fund Me page for the victims of the scandal but subsequently took it down after it was pointed out that he could have just directed people to the charity rather than use GFM. One of the trustees of the Horizon Scandal Fund stated that they had no contact or agreement with mr Harris and therefore no idea of any money raised would go to them. 

Thread on the issue here

8 minutes ago, Chris Partlow said:

20240106_194012.thumb.jpg.bad245d8cba45b6c4201cbcfb4b47e98.jpg

This is objectively very funny. The Mail shelled out a fortune to get Johnson, a political columnist who was Prime Minister until very recently. Surely they will get amazing exclusives and insights? Instead Johnson serves up this shite every week, utter dross he’s clearly clattered out in half an hour. Very, very funny.

30 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

This is objectively very funny. The Mail shelled out a fortune to get Johnson, a political columnist who was Prime Minister until very recently. Surely they will get amazing exclusives and insights? Instead Johnson serves up this shite every week, utter dross he’s clearly clattered out in half an hour. Very, very funny.

This is what his fans like about him though, isn't it? Waffles a bunch of zero-effort shite while deliberately looking as clueless as possible in a silly costume. Good old Boris.

Then the cameramen leave and he's shrugging indifferently about all the corpses.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Not sure this is the right thread for this but.

The Metropolitan Police have opened an investigation into the Post Office / Horizon / Fujitsu scandal. Now this is something that has been ongoing for years, over a decade, and has been widely covered in the press, there have been court cases and appeals etc. None of this prompted an overall criminal investigation by the Met but it seems an ITV drama four parter has. I have seen the series, I’m sure it’s excellent and I’m glad police are looking into it but what justification can there possibly be for opening an investigation on the back of this? Bizarre.

In other strange news, a prominent blogger has departed Twitter after being ‘called out’ for his co-option of the Post Office scandal. Simon Harris, who run several blogs and Favebook pages, most prominently a parenting blog called Men Behaving Dadly. Harris set up and publicised a Go Fund Me page for the victims of the scandal but subsequently took it down after it was pointed out that he could have just directed people to the charity rather than use GFM. One of the trustees of the Horizon Scandal Fund stated that they had no contact or agreement with mr Harris and therefore no idea of any money raised would go to them. 

Thread on the issue here

Could the investigation have been opened because it would be good for the government to be throwing an establishment figure (vennels) to the wolves.  Would make some good headlines to be supporting the CWU in the run up to an election.

Alternatively of course maybe someone has made a complaint to the Police which has prompted an investigation.  As far as I’m aware until someone makes a complaint plod don’t lift a finger.

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Could the investigation have been opened because it would be good for the government to be throwing an establishment figure (vennels) to the wolves.  Would make some good headlines to be supporting the CWU in the run up to an election.

Alternatively of course maybe someone has made a complaint to the Police which has prompted an investigation.  As far as I’m aware until someone makes a complaint plod don’t lift a finger.

Since the police acted after watching the programme, I'd suggest Katharine Kelly stays out the way for a bit.

On 27/11/2023 at 11:52, BFTD said:

Not convinced that Diana Spencer would be down with the whole "no wanking" thing. Loads of old men have stories about her being randomly provocative for attention.

Google image search is drawing a blank, but I recall in the mid 90s a paper (I'm guessing The Sun) asked readers to draw their fantasy versions of Diana, with predictably pervy results that I found hilarious (after I got over my own effort not being published).

Edited by Lurkst

My hearths are currently occupied by gas appliances and I’d probably interfere with the required ventilation as well as damaging the appliances. I’d be posing a very real risk of a gas explosion or poisoning the whole family with carbon monoxide. 

That’s why I can’t. Bloody woke boiler.

Not sure this is the right place for this but

The FT data guy posted this, which shows that in 1997 the most common living arrangement for 18-34 year olds in the UK was living in a couple with children.  Now the most common living arrangement for 18-34 year olds in this country is living at home with their parents.

image.thumb.png.04dcd8e1e8000a2f6efca69a4433c0d6.png

It's probably my age but 1997 doesn't seem like ancient history, a land to which we can no longer even hope to return to.  The changes seen since then for young people are pretty huge - the expansion of higher education in the late 1990s and early 2000s, the housing price boom (just before 2000 the average house price was 4x the average salary, now it is 8x), the stagnation of the UK economy since the late 2000s.