Normal Island

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

But, to combine your points together...

Are these sentences more than for violent criminals who chose to defend themselves as opposed to rely on professional legal representation?

The judge decides the tariff (within the guidelines), the lawyers making a plea deal or whatever won't be counted in those statistics 

58 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Someone upthread made the point that this is a Tory law, and will be there for them to abuse when they eventually get back in (which they will).

The more immediate danger is it's now Labour's to use and abuse, and they absolutely will do.  We all remember the Blair government, don't we?  And Sturmer's own record - whether in the aftermath of the London riots and his own response to Just Stop Oil show you exactly what the direction of travel is here.  Labour need absolutely no lessons from the Tories on authoritarian suppression of dissent, and anyone involved in the climate, Palestine solidarity, anti-war and other movements should be full aware of that.  Labour are not your friends here.

No one should trust Starmer and one of the real tests will be whether this legislation is still on the books when the Tories come back to power.

I honestly think it will be repealed by then, not as a result of any noble action on behalf of this Tory-Lite mob but rather as a sop to Labour backbenchers half way through the Parliament as Starmer is trying to defend his non-actions on various fronts.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

No one should trust Starmer and one of the real tests will be whether this legislation is still on the books when the Tories come back to power.

I honestly think it will be repealed by then, not as a result of any noble action on behalf of this Tory-Lite mob but rather as a sop to Labour backbenchers half way through the Parliament as Starmer is trying to defend his non-actions on various fronts.

You're more optimistic than I am.  I hope you're right, for sure.  We'll see.

5 hours ago, 101 said:

Maybe the police should do what they do in Paris then, seal them into their scheme and let them do whatever.

escape.thumb.jpg.4723777fbce5e1453ea37b177ade448a.jpg

2 hours ago, dundeefc1783 said:

The Jay Slater party fund has gone up about another 5k in the last day or so. Some absolute fucking Muppets out there. 

After being caught out is this Captain Tom's daughter's alternative grift?

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Also worth noting that the family initially involved in Leeds were apparently a Roma family rather than an Asian family.  Worth noting as people are making references to this being related to “the politics of the subcontinent” or Islam.

It was Whitechapel in London where Bangladeshi politics had some people on the streets causing disorder. Probably from people that have never set foot in Bangladesh. 

1 hour ago, MazzyStar said:

His maw is called Felix? 

I only ever met one actual Felix in real life, and he went to school with Scott. Wore a monacle and had loads of Star Trek badges on his blazer.

14 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

His maw is called Felix? 

I only ever met one actual Felix in real life, and he went to school with Scott. Wore a monacle and had loads of Star Trek badges on his blazer.

I'm sorry, you knew a child who wore a monocle?  :blink:

(always nice to find new uses for old emoticons)

12 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'm sorry, you knew a child who wore a monocle?  :blink:

(always nice to find new uses for old emoticons)

When a particularly odd bloke at my school reached S6, every so often he would wear a bowler hat and carry an umbrella.  On one particularly memorable occasion he was accosted by more junior kids at the gates and responded with a volley of "back, peasants, back!"

Schoolboy Tory, if ever there was one.  No idea where he ended up.  Maybe one of those right-wing "think" tanks.

4 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

When a particularly odd bloke at my school reached S6, every so often he would wear a bowler hat and carry an umbrella.  On one particularly memorable occasion he was accosted by more junior kids at the gates and responded with a volley of "back, peasants, back!"

Schoolboy Tory, if ever there was one.  No idea where he ended up.  Maybe one of those right-wing "think" tanks.

Think he lost his seat earlier this month.85594247-0-image-a-59_1717256224219.thumb.jpg.53b5ae0d068091109251c01b6283c5c1.jpg

3 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Let me guess - deeply average middle-class parents, mortified when forced to visit their grandparents' council flat, total lack of understanding that owning a new-build semi-detached is considered poverty by actual gentry.

Every school has to have one. It's the law.

52 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

His maw is called Felix? 

I've met Felix McKenna of St Anthony's and vice chair of the Scottish Junior FA. 

Sound bloke who buys his round. 

25 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I've met Felix McKenna of St Anthony's and vice chair of the Scottish Junior FA. 

Sound bloke who buys his round. 

What is his stance on monacles and Star Trek badges?

I know a guy called Feliks. Russian linguist and literary scholar, works on Classical Gaelic, a fine dude.

Edited to add: never seen him wear a monocle, but you never know what shenanigans linguists might get up to for a hobby.

Edited by A Diamond For Me

11 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

I know a guy called Feliks. Russian linguist and literary scholar, works on Classical Gaelic, a fine dude.

Edited to add: never seen him wear a monocle, but you never know what shenanigans linguists might get up to for a hobby.

Aye, those linguists can be cunning. 

29 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Both cases feature strange or questionable goings-on, but a clear and obvious winner between the two.

Ben's maw > Jay's maw.

Wait, Felix is a gender neutral name?

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

Wait, Felix is a gender neutral name?

First I'd heard of it too.

Jays haggard, money grasping maw can gtf with her crowdfunder, but I'd probably stick a little something in Felixs' purse.