WORLD CUP PLAY-OFFS: the Scottish balls-up scenario. It couldn't happen, could it?!

nate

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

North Macedonia need a winner against Iceland to prevent Romania nicking their playoff berth. Either way that group is guaranteed to be unseeded. 

Finland/Ukraine group probably won’t be seeded either. Finland would need to beat France to get above us and Ukraine can’t get above us (but can finish second with a win in Bosnia and the Finns fail to beat France)

The Croatia win was poor for us. We now need to either win, or draw + any 3 of:

1) Spain beat Sweden by 3+ (7:45pm tonight) 21.5%

2) Bulgaria beat Switzerland by 5+ (7:45pm tomorrow) basically impossible 

3) Hungary beat Poland (7:45pm tomorrow) 16.9%

4) Finland fail to beat France by 3+ (Tuesday 7:45pm) almost certain

5) Belgium beat Wales (Tuesday 7:45pm) 41.3%

6) Netherlands get at least a point against Norway AND Turkey fail to beat Montenegro by 4 (Tuesday 7:45pm) 86.4%

I still fancy our chances with a draw. 4) and 6) should go our way and you’d hope one of 1), 3) and 5) goes our way 

Finland are on 11 so that's in the bag. So a draw gives us a roughly 35% chance of being seeded. Vs 85% about a month ago per We Global Football. Pretty unlucky. 

7 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Lets hope we avoid Portugal FFS. To be fair Serbia have been decent tonight and maybe shows what we achieved by beating them in the playoffs a year ago….

Portugal are a badly managed team built around Ronaldo's ego. Obviously we want to avoid them but if we got them at Hampden in a final I think we'd have a chance.

Just now, DiegoDiego said:
4 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:
You've got to be joking. Portugal are murder. 

Then what are we? Unless we beat Denmark by six tomorrow Portugal will have had a better qualification than us.

Nobody claims Scotland are a great side though. Some people still have Portugal as one of the best teams in Europe. I watched them  against both Eire and Serbia and they were atrocious in both games. I'd happily take Portugal in the play-offs.

I really don’t see us winning in Portugal/Switzerland/Russia so for me, we need to win tomorrow night and get the seed and then pray that we get drawn to have our semi final as the home team for the final.

A win tomorrow is imperative at this point. I genuinely think we have a < 20% chance of even making the final if we aren’t seeded whereas we’d probably be slight favourites at Hampden against any of the unseeded sides. 

I know we beat them a year ago, but I definitely wouldn't have fancied drawing Serbia again. I think we caught them on an off day and I doubt they'd underestimate us this time.

I wouldn't necessarily prefer Portugal, but we'd be going into the game with minimal expectation and they've definitely got a f**k-up in them.