Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

11 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I’ve no idea what Campbell is like, but based on the last 2 friendlies I wouldn’t feel at all comfortable with Ferguson coming on to see out a play-off game.

Hoping Gilmour is better placed to play the full 90 this time round.

I’m fairly certain that if we are defending a lead and Gilmour is knackered, we’d bring Jack Hendry on for him and push McTominay forward into the midfield. 

40 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Campbell was called up with everyone else last week so Clarke must have known there was a potential issue with a midfielder. He might have just wanted Jack to see Scotland's medical folk before officially bringing Campbell in.

Are you sure about that? He wasn't part of the original squad announcement that I've seen.

7 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I’m fairly certain that if we are defending a lead and Gilmour is knackered, we’d bring Jack Hendry on for him and push McTominay forward into the midfield. 

Possibly, but still not ideal having to shuffle things about instead of the like-for-like replacement that McLean or Jack would have been.

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

We need to not get caught up in who we are playing and get this game won and into the past where it belongs.

We never know when we might get another bite at world cup qualification.

Any player with their mind on anything but qualifying should stay at home.

Yep spot on 

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I think we have potentially 5 games coming up.

Armenia home and away, ROI away and Ukraine and Wales.

5 games in 14 days? Wilder! 😂 

Fair to say every outfield player should expect some game time then.

Ryan Jack wouldn’t have started the big match v Ukraine (or the one v Wales IF we get there), but as others have mentioned he’d likely have played a part late on and likely started one of the NL games. I’ve always been impressed with him under Clarke, but it’s unfortunate that he (and KT) seem to have so many injury issues. Haven’t seen much of Allan Campbell at Luton but always thought he was decent at Motherwell. Wouldn’t say he was like-for-like replacement for Jack though. 

Edited by JagsCG

6 hours ago, Donathan said:

I wouldnt be surprised if Clarke plays Souttar in place of McTominay. 

7 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Is Allan Campbell close to a like for like replacement for Ryan Jack? I haven't seen him play much at all.

Not really - like Jack, he can act as a pivot or facilitator for midfielders that like to get further forward like Gilmour or McGinn but other than that their skillsets are quite different. Kante is a good comparison for wee Al - he's obviously not quite that good but they have a similar attitude and style of play.

He makes sense as a replacement though, he's the kind of player Clarke might want to bring on later in the playoff game(s) to shore up the midfield as he will run, break up play and be a general nuisance all night long. Phenomenal engine and desire. From what I've seen, his strength, positioning and ability to hold on to the ball have also improved since his move down south. Jack will be a loss for sure but Campbell is an excellent alternative and has had a great season for Luton. Biased obviously, but he deserves the call-up IMO.

Edited by For Your Pies Only
Can't spell

I’m buzzing for wee Al. I was one of the Motherwell fans who thought he was a great player for us but perhaps had a fairly low ceiling as a player. I’m delighted to have been proven completely and utterly wrong on that. Fantastic attitude and while he’s still got a bit to go to be as good as Ryan Jack (imo) he’d be a great option off the bench to hopefully help us see out a game or two. Never stops running, a fantastic tackler and an all-round extremely likeable player.   

34 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Another step towards @General dissaray's dream of an all-Luton first XI.

I couldn't give a shit about Luton,don't know why you keep persistimg with this boaring routine?

I mentioned Campbell and Naismith names as back ups since people like Constidine and Gallacher are drifting away for what ever reasons

Back ups if we ever have a injury crisis and need a bit off cover,exactly what has happened with Campbell 

So put it into perspective also Naismith apparently just got a £20 grand a week move to Bristol City so can't exactly be that bad late developer maybe exactly sane as Constidine and Gallacher 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

pfft, leave him be. He'll be fine for Wednesday. Why is everything such a drama.

Yep. As long as he’s not wrecked, it’s a non-issue. Would we prefer he had a couple of beers and a laugh with his mates, clearing his head and resetting, or would we prefer he flew straight in from Paris on a total downer? He’s a human being, not a robot. 

4 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

I wouldnt be surprised if Clarke plays Souttar in place of McTominay. 

4 hours ago, Donathan said:

I'd be stunned if McTominay doesn't start, especially given the Tierney injury.

I think the only way John Souttar or Jack Hendry play the right sided centre back role is if Scott McTominay picks up an injury or is put into midfield. I just can't see him being dropped to the bench.