Super Saints v Ross County 01/12

7 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Positives first. Our makeshift defence played pretty well. Dunne had a solid game, thought he was poor on Saturday but made up that tonight. Alnwick make a cracking double save. McAllister looks much fitter but was too predictable. Should have buried his chance but took way too long to shoot.

I suppose I would be more concerned if we weren't creating chances but it's the same old same old from last season.

As for the negatives, pretty much everything that has been mentioned.

Nice easy run coming up. I actually feel more comfortable playing against the bigger teams. Aberdeen and Hibs are very hit and miss. We could be bottom by Boxing day though.

Can't agree at all with this. I thought he was rotten. His pace makes up for a multitude of mistakes and in the first half, every header he made went straight up in the air or backwards 

In saying that, Fraser beside him had a total stinker of a game as well. For all we dominated the second half, we were the far poorer side in the first and only have Jak Alnwick's dependably excellent goalkeeping to thank for them not scoring last night.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Can't agree at all with this. I thought he was rotten. His pace makes up for a multitude of mistakes and in the first half, every header he made went straight up in the air or backwards 

In saying that, Fraser beside him had a total stinker of a game as well. For all we dominated the second half, we were the far poorer side in the first and only have Jak Alnwick's dependably excellent goalkeeping to thank for them not scoring last night.

Fair point, noticed that at Tynecastle too. Can't seem to head the ball. 

Yep, that was a cracking double save from Alnwick. The annoying thing for us is with all the chances we had their keeper didn't have to pull off saves like that, it was very very poor finishing and decision making.

We all knew Main wasn't scoring that chance

10 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

If Main had the ball at his feet 6 inches from the goaline with the keeper stranded I would not bet he could hit it hard enough or keep it on target to score.

To be fair in this particular instance it took 3 County players to stop him.

The first one by fouling him and unbalancing him; the second did a part block that slowed the shot down, and the third then got back to clear it off the line.

We all knew Main wasn't scoring that chance

True, but to be fair to the guy he was fouled twice on his way through. If he was less honest, it was probably a penalty and a red card (given the second was a pull back).

I can’t help but like the guy for the effort he puts in, and he does hold the ball up better than the rest of our attacking options, but if he scores 5 goals over a season it would be a minor miracle.

6 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

To be fair in this particular instance it took 3 County players to stop him.

The first one by fouling him and unbalancing him; the second did a part block that slowed the shot down, and the third then got back to clear it off the line.

6 minutes ago, codfish said:

True, but to be fair to the guy he was fouled twice on his way through. If he was less honest, it was probably a penalty and a red card (given the second was a pull back).

I can’t help but like the guy for the effort he puts in, and he does hold the ball up better than the rest of our attacking options, but if he scores 5 goals over a season it would be a minor miracle.

The above is all true however I have absolutely no confidence on his goal scoring capabilities.

Main should have probably just gone down when he got into the box. The ref last night would have been choking to give a foul and a card. 

I think it's a bit of our strikers not being good enough and lacking wingers to help. 

I also think our pitch is awful, it looks slippy - numerous players just slipped on it trying to kick it in both teams last night and the Dundee game was the same. 

Edited by flyingscot

11 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Time to move Erwin, Dennis and Main on ASAP. Take all 3 wages and bring in someone half decent. The strikers we have in now are actually worse than the ones we've let go in the last year.

Obika is much better than Main, Erwin or Dennis. 

Maybe if Dennis got a run in the team he might find some form but it's difficult to give someone a run of games when they're not doing the business. 

I think the loan market will be our best bet for a decent striker. Can't see many semi prolific strikers being allowed to leave clubs in January. 

I was grateful when st mirren took Erwin off our hands , also feel for you having main even in his purple patch with Motherwell I still didn’t rate him , I always thought that Dennis looked a threat whenever I’ve seen him admittedly not a huge amount though

Dennis has hardly started a game this season or even come on as a sub. And when he does play they launch high balls to him. Think the guy would do better with the ball played to his feet and given some game time. Main is hopeless every game but still gets picked ahead of Dennis. The guy deserves a longer run and decent service.

Thought it was a very frustrating game on both sides of the fence. We probably shaded the first half but the first 40 mins of the second half was proper backs against the wall - suppose this shows progress as I think we probably would’ve lost this game 2/3 months ago. After that it was a proper end to end game and both teams will probably feel agitated they’ve not won it in the end.

I thought County really missed Clarke last night. While Randall is a fairly competent defender in 1v1s, he’s a fraction of the player Clarke is and I feel if Clarke was playing RB last night we would’ve created much more on the right hand side than we did. That being said, Hungbo was good again, although fairly quiet for his standards in the second half. Dom Samuel showed touches of promise and should’ve scored in the first half, but was fucked after 50 minutes and should’ve been hooked long before he was. Vokins looked promising though and I’d probably keep him in the side on Saturday. He could have a strong link up with RCC and we will be very strong on the wing once they do.

2 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Time to move Erwin, Dennis and Main on ASAP. Take all 3 wages and bring in someone half decent. The strikers we have in now are actually worse than the ones we've let go in the last year.

Genuinely, I could make a strong argument that Curtis Main isn't significantly better than Junior Morias... 

I wonder how Greg Stewart is getting on in *checks notes* India. Killie fans swear he brought the best out of Brophy. Though not sure another non-scoring striker is what we need.

That said, I remain sure that Dennis could be a player if he can get a run in the team. 

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Genuinely, I could make a strong argument that Curtis Main isn't significantly better than Junior Morias... 

Sadly I don't doubt that. Junior was at least a pest for others to deal with and probably more useful on the right than many of our team right now. I feel that Main in the team just means we resort to lumping it long. 

Makes me kind of annoyed that we've seemingly ditched trying to play for lumping it long. The only positive I can see is Alnwick seems to be far more alert to quick restarts- lost count the number of times Saints wait for the opposition to get back before launching the ball! 

33 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

The current lack of a goalscorer always brings us back to that old chestnut. Why does our academy produce  a seemingly endless amount of midfielders, but never a half decent striker.

This is true of 99% of clubs in world football. We look like a team that is competitive but as always lacks a finisher. For most of my lifetime that’s been the case.

Questions must be asked over the signing of Main. Virtually every fan I spoke to at the time was unenthusiastic about him coming in due to his terrible scoring record.

He probably has a worse scoring record than Obika who brought fare more to the team than Main does. Cannot believe we opted to bin Obika in favour of Main. Mental.