Celtic v Motherwell 12/12/21

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

I have never seen it’s a wonderful life, I know I will now have opened myself up to a barrage of abuse but I feel better for admitting it.

It’s a good film, but I get sat down in front of it every fecking year.  Too much.

8 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Don't bother?

I can't see spending £12-13 or whatever on this bringing you the tiniest sliver of joy. Just hope the manner of defeat doesn't dent the confidence too much.

Are Celtic even doing ppv for away fans this season? 

The away section is back open and has been for a couple of months now. 

10 hours ago, ZX1886 said:
Having just checked, it’s been over 3 years since we last took points off Celtic. A mentality problem?

No a budgetary problem. What generally happens when a team with a wage budget 10 times yours plays 🤷‍♂️.

Celtic and Rangers should be winning every non old firm game by 5+ goals. 

The gap between Celtic and Motherwell is bigger than the gap between Celtic and PSG. You know hat happens when those two meet. 

I will walk the dog and hope by FT we are not in -double figures for GD. 

No a budgetary problem. What generally happens when a team with a wage budget 10 times yours plays [emoji2369].
Celtic and Rangers should be winning every non old firm game by 5+ goals. 
The gap between Celtic and Motherwell is bigger than the gap between Celtic and PSG. You know hat happens when those two meet. 
I will walk the dog and hope by FT we are not in -double figures for GD. 

They’ve always had a higher budget than us but were we always this defeatist?

It’s a genuine question, as someone who didn’t grow up when we regularly beat them and took a decent following, I can’t imagine the result was already predetermined by our support like Sunday.

When I was younger, I always bugged my dad to take me when we played them or Rangers (since they were so close to where we lived). I now understand why he didn’t bother much with those fixtures, beaten before a ball is kicked.

I think the fans have a defeatest attitude because of personal experience. When you fail to beat certain teams repeatedly, it tends to effect your expextations. I dont recall being so defeatest when I was younger, but we occasionally bloodied a few noses back in those days. It starts with the team. If we can see a bit of attitude and a decent performance on Saturday, attitudes can change.

When I saw my first win at Parkhead (the Bobby Russell "Shimmy King" last minute winner in 1989), despite Celtic having Burns & McStay, etc - the actual gap between the teams in terms of budget wasn't huge by today's standards - Celtic crowds were in the 20-30 thousand range (it was still mostly cheap PATG), there was no CL money or TV deals of any note - they (and Rangers) still just about existed on the same football "tier" as Aberdeen, Hearts etc despite obviously being bigger clubs.  There wasn't nearly as much defeatism about at that point.

1991 was the last real title challenge (we set up the title decider for Aberdeen by pumping Rangers 3-0 at Fir Park) and as money then flooded in, the budget gap ballooned and that was it for the league as a competition for non-OF teams. 

But all that is an abstract stuff for supporters - the real change also happened later in the 90's - (as someone who previously went to all these games) it basically became utterly (more?) shite to go to Ibrox and Parkhead as an away supporter. Given the proximity, we often took a couple of thousand supporters (check the old videos) and in the space of a couple of seasons, it turned into low hundreds - All-ticket games, comedy ticket pricing and fucking *horrible* stewarding/policing made it not worth the hassle to sit through a likely defeat even for a lot of die-hards. I happily head up to Dingwall or Pittodrie for a midweek game but don't give Ibrox and Parkhead at 3pm on a Saturday a second thought (and as away fans are really just an inconvenience to the OF, there is nothing to be done about it).

tl;dr - Shite matchday experience + high chance of a pumping = a hard sell.

I'm another one of the late 80s/early 90s lot so my formative experiences supporting Motherwell were around Celtic's biscuit tin era at a point where despite the large support and having players like McStay et al they...weren't actually that good (relatively speaking). 'Splitting the Old Firm' was seeing Celtic finishing 4th.

Spoiler

2074273861_ScreenShot2021-12-09at10_23_12.thumb.png.54ff426d7c0d1055c028b9355deb27b1.png

1579490962_ScreenShot2021-12-09at10_23_29.thumb.png.dfe381730beb87cb502c2a38adecf3cd.png

At that point probably the 'budget' point would have been more relevant when talking about the discrepancy between us and Rangers given they were chucking their money at Laudrup, Gascoigne and the like yet we were still capable of scudding them on occasion.

I think everyone on this thread can enjoy these:

Spoiler

It's a bit tomato/tomato but I'd say that the difference now is as much apathy as defeatism and @Swello sums it up well in the post above.

Edited by capt_oats

4 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Any hope has now gone with Alexander being named manager of the month. We'll concede about 7 here.

Basically this 😂

Added to comments above I started watching Motherwell in late 70’s as a child. Went more often in the early 90’s onwards and have had a season ticket for past 25-30 years. 

Point being that Celtic and Rangers were always ahead in terms of size and squads. But the difference and gap was not as large as it is today. Old firm players would be being paid 4-5 times Motherwell whereas today 🤷‍♂️. You have to imagine Joe Hart will be on £20-30k per week or thereabouts. That would pay for 10-15 players at Motherwell. 

I have seen Motherwell beat and draw with Celtic on a regular basis. But it is sure getting more difficult and that is certainly the case at Celtic Park. Always feel we can give either Old firm team a game at Fir Park on our day and with them on an off day.  Then of course you factor in the refereeing decisions 🤔

Edited by welldaft

It's my birthday on Sunday so a Kyogo hat trick would be my chosen gift please.
It's my wife's birthday on Sunday. She couldn't give a monkey's about football but I'm sure she'd want me to be happy.

Wait a minute - you're not actually a middle-aged woman are you and she's just been pretending to not like football?