Hibs Vs Aberdeen - Weds 22nd Dec

Fair enough for Glass to have a go at the players for being sluggish, but he needs to take responsibility for the lack of a plan to break down a packed defence. 

Thought Gallagher was having an ok game until forgetting to jump. 

Ferguson was great today and will be a much bigger miss than Hedges, who appears to be angling for a move to league 2 on current performances. 

Porteous should have been off, no doubt at all. If he'd kicked a Rangers scrote that would be a retro ban. Ref generally had a shocker and made baffling and inconsistent decisions throughout. 

Overall we didn't deserve to win. Don't really think Hibs did either but we didn't do enough to stop them. 

9 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Well I thought we'd have a clearer idea after December, and it's obvious now, which it wasn't at the beginning of the month, that we won't be relegated. We'll finish no lower than 7th and no higher than 5th.

If the Scottish Cup draw is kind we'll reach the quarter-finals and if it's very kind maybe the semi-final but that will be our lot.

There's nothing to suggest that we can't finish mid-table again next season given a fair wind.

It's going to take more than a season to transition this lot into a consistently competent squad I'm afraid.

Again, I'll say, Gallagher is not at the quality we require and is undoubtedly earning a relatively significant wage as is McGeouch. The latter will go in the summer but we need to find a path out of Pittodrie for big Declan too...

Try the front door.

Disappointing result last night, but hey ho, missed our chance when on top, according to the radio,

Think tonight Hibs maybe edged it. Edged it in that they handed their fall asleep at set pieces trophy to Aberdeen. Other than that not much happened other than feeling like hypothermia was setting in at one point. Both teams will finish in the Top 6 which isn't really something to jump up and down about for clubs with their budgets.

8 hours ago, coprolite said:

Fair enough for Glass to have a go at the players for being sluggish, but he needs to take responsibility for the lack of a plan to break down a packed defence. 

Thought Gallagher was having an ok game until forgetting to jump. 

Ferguson was great today and will be a much bigger miss than Hedges, who appears to be angling for a move to league 2 on current performances. 

Porteous should have been off, no doubt at all. If he'd kicked a Rangers scrote that would be a retro ban. Ref generally had a shocker and made baffling and inconsistent decisions throughout. 

Overall we didn't deserve to win. Don't really think Hibs did either but we didn't do enough to stop them. 

Regarding the Porteous moment: it was one of those incidents where if the ref he sees it clearly, he might have an opportunity to reach for the red (see Butcher). I'm not sure how much he saw or if the replay was too convincing either way.

That aside, I totally agree with your post. It was a dreary but even game between two bang average teams. As per normal this season, our defensive lapses are usually so bad that they gift cheap goals - last night was no different.

Meanwhile, further up the pitch, we played pedestrian and intricate little triangles with our backs to goal and waited patiently until Hibs were condensed into banks across the edge of their box. The lack of directness, penetration, width, bravery made it a frustrating watch and a predictable outcome.

32 minutes ago, bpdon said:

Regarding the Porteous moment: it was one of those incidents where if the ref he sees it clearly, he might have an opportunity to reach for the red (see Butcher). I'm not sure how much he saw or if the replay was too convincing either way.

That aside, I totally agree with your post. It was a dreary but even game between two bang average teams. As per normal this season, our defensive lapses are usually so bad that they gift cheap goals - last night was no different.

Meanwhile, further up the pitch, we played pedestrian and intricate little triangles with our backs to goal and waited patiently until Hibs were condensed into banks across the edge of their box. The lack of directness, penetration, width, bravery made it a frustrating watch and a predictable outcome.

I dont disagree with much of that - however, in Ferguson, Aberdeen had the one midfielder who was prepared to look up and pick a forward pass. Fortunately for us, the rest of the midfield, and wing back players (until Ramsay pushed on midway thru the 2nd half) was predictable. 

Glass did make shape changes - Ramsay was not particularly effective until later on (maybe when Jenks or McLennan were subbed on?) but from that point on he gave Doig a hard time.

For Hibs, we have Mueller and Tait arriving in January, Mackay and Hallberg back from injury, Doidge back up to speed, and hopefully a few shipped out and more faces in defence / midfield and definitely another striker. 

I think most of the comments on this thread are fair, it wasn’t much of a spectacle. Porteous and Hanlon had good games but Aberdeen’s build up was too slow which suited them. Both are at their best with the game in front of them but struggle with being turned and picking up runners in behind - see Celtics goals on Sunday. 

I know Newell was out but it was encouraging that Maloney selected Allan to start. I’m hoping he’ll be drawn towards creative, technical players because the more industrious players we have just now have been dull to watch. I also hope Gogic gets punted at the earliest opportunity, his lack of any technical ability whatsoever never ceases to amaze me. 

Thw first thing Maloney need to do at training is drill crosses into Nisbet so he can practice heading, f**k me he is dreadful at it.

Edited by St. Jude

2 minutes ago, St. Jude said:

I hope the first thing Maloney does at training is drill crosses into Nisbet so he can practice heading, f**k me he is dreadful at it.

Aye, watching the highlights this morning there was a great chance for him after a Boyle shot was blocked and looped up. He had either side of the goal to hit but just seemed to mis-time his jump and got underneath it.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

mis-time his jump and got underneath it.

.............which is what he has done - I shit you not - for almost every header in the last 2-3 months. He looks low on confidence, and is in one of those spells where almost every ball up to him bounces off him to an opposition player, his headers are crap etc etc.

He really needs to play alongside another striker, or change his game (which will mean a fair bit more running and closing down, which tbf he did a bit last night) or simply leave.

18 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

.............which is what he has done - I shit you not - for almost every header in the last 2-3 months. He looks low on confidence, and is in one of those spells where almost every ball up to him bounces off him to an opposition player, his headers are crap etc etc.

He really needs to play alongside another striker, or change his game (which will mean a fair bit more running and closing down, which tbf he did a bit last night) or simply leave.

I think if anyone is still interested he’ll go, whether that is January or the summer. There were talks about a new deal at the start of the season and that’s all but died. He’s not interested. Porteous will be off too, he won’t even entertain discussion on a new deal.

Very disappointing.

This can be a decent fixture, but both this season have been lacking in quality.

It was almost a mirror of the game at Tannadice recently, minus the red cards (although there was yet another assault on Ramirez' nads which also happened in that match).

AFC seem content to be neat and tidy without ever threatening too much, whilst for the most part keeping the opponents at arm's length.

Perth recently was similar, but we got the lucky break. On this occasion, an erse collapse for a few mins from Gallagher (who'd looked fine for 50 mins or so) and that was that.

Observation on the winning goal - Gogic did seem to have Ojo in a head lock. No big deal, stuff happens at corners - but the good old inconsistency was the aforementioned Gallagher being pulled up for a foul every time during several of our own corners.

Rubbish game - and an indication that a hopeful surge into the auto European group qualification spot probably ain't going to happen for either of these clubs, and we'll have the joy of the slightly more consistent yams getting that.

11 minutes ago, Zing. said:

Porteous will be off too, he won’t even entertain discussion on a new deal.

I wouldnt blame him, he is under the spotlight more than any other CH in Scotland and gets vilified for anything that happens against "you know who".

The abuse he takes from the zombies on social media is like some kind of modern day Lord of the Flies.

Hope he goes on to have a great career..................and more importantly that we have a decent sellon clause.

I really hope we hold onto Porteous, might seem unrealistic but we need leadership in the team and he's the guy to provide it here and now, let alone when Hanlon starts to feature less. 

That said I see the point being made about him being a pantomime villain up here, I think he can probably go on to have a better career somewhere he can fly under the radar a little more.

That or he continues with his antics elsewhere and his reputation follows him. 

Ultimately I think if he thinks to himself he can control and still play his best football, he should go for his career. If he can't, I think the Hibs support are more than tolerant of it and hopefully we can match his ambition. He certainly said as much when responding to Boyd some weeks ago that staying at Hibs would be a great positive, drawing parallels with Hanlon and Stevenson as he did. 

Edited by Chefki Kuqi

36 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I’m no scientist, but I think it’s more effective if you put it in your arm.

I'm all for trying anything if it might improve the Aberdeen team under Stephen Glass. If a rocket up the arse doesn't work then maybe the booster will.

I love that 20 seconds burst of political dissatisfaction from the Club 18-30 Aberdeen fans. It's the most animated I've ever seen that age group of Aberdonians get...

5 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Observation on the winning goal - Gogic did seem to have Ojo in a head lock. No big deal, stuff happens at corners - but the good old inconsistency was the aforementioned Gallagher being pulled up for a foul every time during several of our own corners.

It might have seemed that way to you at the time, but he didn't. The ref is right and you're wrong in this case.

noheadlock.gif.5dfdab9002314d0931b46b4235b37b1e.gif