God Save The Queen

Lex

35 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

Alternatively, one could argue that electing another politician to the role makes it rather dull and boring. Who gets more international exposure outwith Commonwealth countries, the Queen or the German Head of State? 

She must be pissed off with Andrew stealing the limelight.

1 hour ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

My own personal conspiracy theory is that she has been deed for a couple of months now (Oct/Nov maybe) and the powers that be didn’t want to announce it so close to Christmas because they can’t have your poor grannies crying into their Turkey. I think they’ll announce it sometime in Feb or March.

If not I’ll be taking my tinfoil hat back as I’ve kept the receipt anyway.

As long as she makes it past this week, I've run out of Deadpool subs.

1 hour ago, AlbionSaint said:

Alternatively, one could argue that electing another politician to the role makes it rather dull and boring. Who gets more international exposure outwith Commonwealth countries, the Queen or the German Head of State? 

How has her and her brood’s mugs selling tabloids abroad materially benefitted the UK in ways that Germany has been denied?

11 hours ago, AlbionSaint said:

According to their website:

Of course you could have a revolution and confiscate their assets, but the claim that the monarchy are subsidised is not factually true, in fact the opposite is true. They're net contributors, as I stated previously.

As for doing away with the Monarchy, what would they be replaced with? President Blair? President Beckham? We could choose our figurehead through some sort of reality TV show, I suppose. I'm sure it will attract lots of viewers who could vote to eliminate candidates.

Personally, I quite like the history of the Monarchy and think they're preferable to the alternative. However, I think they'll be gone in the next twenty years or so.

So stealing is OK as long as it was a long time ago. OK, then. 

7 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

You are all lucky you have her.   She brings in £20m to the economy.  Without her, you would all be living on £10 giros.  Just look at Ireland for example.

Greenie for that, Slipmeister. I got the reference, even if no-one else did. No idea what to search to find the video, mind..

The matter of whether the Royal Family pays for itself or not is a matter of how the figures are interpreted, it falls both ways depending (no doubt) on who commisioned them.

As for whether the "Public Service" ethos of the Royal Family makes them preferrable/less grasping than an elected politician as Head of State the answer to that would be the fact mentioned previously that she has used "Queens Consent" over 1000 times during her reign to benefit herself, so absolutely not.

Edited by btb

11 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
8 hours ago, Fullerene said:
If you don't even know much about the German Head of State then does it really matter who the Head of State is?
I am up all night because the Queen is getting old and I am very worried for her.  emoji4.png

Is the German Head of State not the Queen?

Fair shout. According to the Royal Family website "In 1917, there was a radical change, when George V specifically adopted Windsor, not only as the name of the 'House' or dynasty, but also as the surname of his family. The family name was changed as a result of anti-German feeling during the First World War, and the name Windsor was adopted after the Castle of the same name.

Could be worse. Imagine if the only castle they had was in Cleethorpes. 

3 hours ago, AlbionSaint said:

That has to be a parody. 😂  I refuse to believe that's real. 

It must have been really brave of them to film a parody with all these other Rangers fans milling around outside Station Park that afternoon...

... and if you thought that the guy in the England top was a bit mad before the match, imagine his reaction after Forfar won 2-1 

32 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

It must have been really brave of them to film a parody with all these other Rangers fans milling around outside Station Park that afternoon...

... and if you thought that the guy in the England top was a bit mad before the match, imagine his reaction after Forfar won 2-1 

I love the look on the face of the guy with the white beard and sunglasses at about 42 seconds in.

4 hours ago, AlbionSaint said:

That has to be a parody. 😂  I refuse to believe that's real. 

I've always thought the same, AS.

At the time of release, it was all over the Rangers forums and no one had ever seen these guys. 

46 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

How come, Lichty?

It'd be a pretty easy thing to do.