The Gender Debate

jamamafegan

36 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If the Stand had told Fair Pley Ltd, who were organizing the show, that they didn't want the Cherry booking from the start, would that have got them off the hook? Presumably a venue can't be forced to host any particular individual under the Equalities Act. 

If a person can show that they aren’t having a facility provided to them that is ordinarily provided by another person and the reason for that difference in treatment is a protected characteristic then that's discrimination. 

I don't think that the courts can force anyone though, they can just award compensation. 

But in practice it's almost impossible to show discrimination for not booking someone. Who would have doubted an explanation along the lines of "we didn't think anyone would come to see her so didn't want to book her." 

14 hours ago, Leith Green said:

She said shes been cancelled because she is a lesbian. 

Was she?

Was she what - cancelled or a lesbian?

17 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Yeah, the Stand fucked it here - legally. 

Morally - spot on, eventually, shouldn't have been booked in the first place.  

Yeah, totally agree with you. 

43 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I assume they'll just use agency staff for this.

I assume they wont force anyone to work that gig, so almost certainly.

Main thing is its been resolved and quickly.

Interesting to see how JC handles the inevitable hecklers now...............

On 02/05/2023 at 20:23, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I said not quite - they were screwed no matter what they did.

Not respecting employee views and forcing them to work or disciplining them wouldn't be a great look either. 

Joanne Cherry knows it as well - hence she said she is considering her options.

This will be an out of court settlement.

On 04/05/2023 at 22:52, StellarHibee said:

And then she was uninvited. No business is under any legal obligation to guarantee a service to anyone. I don't care what some "comedian" has to say on the issue.

On 04/05/2023 at 22:58, StellarHibee said:

You're going to be very disappointed when there are literally no legal consequences. 😂

On 08/05/2023 at 18:33, Crùbag said:

I refused my shed roof as a platform from which she could do her stuff. Wonder when my legal letter will arrive?

Takes that have aged as well as the Falkirk pre-match thread, after going 5-0 down at half time.

Credit to @Trogdor for calling the straightforward outcome for this from the beginning.

Cherry's 'show' will almost certainly be eye-gougingly abysmal, but that's the Edinburgh Fringe for you. 

11 hours ago, Marlo Stanfield said:

The Stand's management have had an absolute shocker here tbh.

Aye, they must have had a real life Lionel Hutz advising them because literally every lawyer (who wasn't an activist) said cancelling in this manner was discrimination. 

It wasn't even arguable, the contrivance with employee's rights and health and safety legislation were strawmen in a legal sense.

On 12/05/2023 at 03:32, Theroadlesstravelled said:

This is a fair discussion. I’m a fan of Theo Von and Stavros though.

They seem like decent good but they are maybe a bit idealistic in their summary