The Gender Debate

jamamafegan

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

I see Ian Blackford has waded in to say that it should have been a woman that was hired for the role of period dignity officer. Incredible scenes.

Baffling, since it's a project management role, and there are plenty of men already doing the same thing in other LA's.

Presumably he'll be back to tell us how outrageous it is that a woman has just been appointed Chief Exec of Prostate Cancer UK.

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

I see Ian Blackford has waded in to say that it should have been a woman that was hired for the role of period dignity officer. Incredible scenes.

I can see why they hired him, he used to work for Imperial Tobacco as an account manager, not a huge shift from flogging tabs to tampons.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Be a laugh if they replace him with a Transwoman.

The terfs giving it wiggy at Mhairi Hunter when she got emptied from the Govanhill council seat only to discover that her replacement was a transwoman was *delicious*. 

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Baffling, since it's a project management role, and there are plenty of men already doing the same thing in other LA's.

Presumably he'll be back to tell us how outrageous it is that a woman has just been appointed Chief Exec of Prostate Cancer UK.

I can understand them wanting a man for such an important and sensitive job, you wouldn't want somebody who's liable to fly of the handle for no reason for a few days every month.

9 hours ago, BFTD said:

How dare any of you question the great Oaksoft's right to post whatever shite he fancies!

Bloody fascists the lot of you. It's a wonder he continues to grace us with his presence at all, considering how long his Big List of P&B b*****ds must be by now!

Dog Bone GIFs | Tenor

Whatever the topic or industry, it's a depressing reflection of where we have allowed public discourse to get to, and who we have allowed to become meaningful voices, that when it comes to any kind of appointment to any role, the issue of who or what that person is takes precedence over their competence.

This is completely stupid and we are going backwards. Anyone who thinks it is necessary for the holder of that role to be a woman needs to stop and have a long think about where they get their ideas from. It is ridiculous. It's quite worrying how many seemingly-sensible people are up in arms about this.

We had a similar fuss a while back in my office. We have a 'Coordinator' for the issue of ease of working here for disabled people. There are several people with disabilities who work here, but the guy who holds the role, and has done for some time, has no disability that anyone knows about. However, he is qualified, knowledgeable, and cares deeply about the role being done well. It was raised by a couple of staff that it would be 'more appropriate' if one of the disabled staff had his role. Fucking ludicrous, and happily the management went out of their way to point out that this role, like all roles in the company, would be awarded based on competence.

Personally, I blame social media in the main for situations like this. Bad or overly simplistic ideas can be made to sound sensible and then spread like wildfire, with accompanying baying mobs to shout down anyone who tries to object.

It's extremely frustrating to see situations like this. If a job is important, then you want the best person to do that job. Regardless of whether they are old or young or a man or a woman or whatever.

4 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Whatever the topic or industry, it's a depressing reflection of where we have allowed public discourse to get to, and who we have allowed to become meaningful voices, that when it comes to any kind of appointment to any role, the issue of who or what that person is takes precedence over their competence.

This is completely stupid and we are going backwards. Anyone who thinks it is necessary for the holder of that role to be a woman needs to stop and have a long think about where they get their ideas from. It is ridiculous. It's quite worrying how many seemingly-sensible people are up in arms about this.

We had a similar fuss a while back in my office. We have a 'Coordinator' for the issue of ease of working here for disabled people. There are several people with disabilities who work here, but the guy who holds the role, and has done for some time, has no disability that anyone knows about. However, he is qualified, knowledgeable, and cares deeply about the role being done well. It was raised by a couple of staff that it would be 'more appropriate' if one of the disabled staff had his role. Fucking ludicrous, and happily the management went out of their way to point out that this role, like all roles in the company, would be awarded based on competence.

Personally, I blame social media in the main for situations like this. Bad or overly simplistic ideas can be made to sound sensible and then spread like wildfire, with accompanying baying mobs to shout down anyone who tries to object.

It's extremely frustrating to see situations like this. If a job is important, then you want the best person to do that job. Regardless of whether they are old or young or a man or a woman or whatever.

Couldn't agree more. 

But if we move towards folk getting jobs based on competence, I'm fucked. 

4 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Great post.

Unfortunately, I suspect these scenarios are going to become more common and vitriolic before common sense is allowed a look-in.