The Gender Debate

jamamafegan

57 minutes ago, Jedi said:

In a forum where it is the common narrative for most that the SNP gets everything spot on, I am not going to comment on the substance of the GRA.

It was also a Labour and Lib Dem policy. Given that you're a big Labour guy, why not give them a bit credit here ?

1 minute ago, Slim Charles. said:

It was also a Labour and Lib Dem policy. Given that you're a big Labour guy, why not give them a bit credit here ?

I think, since the hiatus, this has been largely abandoned in favour of anyone-but-the-SNP UK nationalism.

4 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Given that on the Indy Ref thread @williemillersmoustache has said that anyone who raises any 'questions' (not even outright opposition to the GRA but 'questions') is a 'vile, degenerate, self-serving awful absolute weapon of a person', that might offer a clue as to why there is no point offering any comment on the bill.

Similar comments have been made about people who do support it. Similar comments have been made about a wide variety of political stances.

This looks distinctly like you don't know what your issue with the bill is.

10 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Similar comments have been made about people who do support it. Similar comments have been made about a wide variety of political stances.

I can help you with that point. Not commenting on the bill but attacking it (and anyway perceived as supporting it) anyway is basically the spongeheid approach, but without the alt-right, uncropped memes.

3376A633-A8B8-4E50-9834-67B4EC24045D.jpeg

Edited by Antlion

To be fair, the tone of this thread from the start has been 'people who don't know very much about the subject and refuse to learn or do any research but who still have very strong opinions on it which they will refuse to share in favour of making vague implications that they are being oppressed'.

It's worked well so far, why change now?

Edited by MrWorldwideJr

13 hours ago, Detournement said:

Sturgeon - who opposed Section 28 being repealed

She led for the SNP as shadow education secretary on getting it repealed in Scotland, 3 years before England and Wales.

20 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Where are the similar comments about people who do 'support' it?

I have commented neither in support of or opposition to, the bill. Only comment has been that the bill has been regarded as a 'priority' for the SNP (which it has). Again, claiming that it is a priority for the govt is neither supportive or opposing 

That, however, categorises me as a vile,degenerate, self serving, awful, absolute weapon of a person

10 hours ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

Were there decent odds on H_B turning this into a tinfoil-hat, attention-seeking shitshow?

Come to think of it, probably not.

I see Supras has been on under his Ninja account too. It's just like old times!

45 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

She led for the SNP as shadow education secretary on getting it repealed in Scotland, 3 years before England and Wales.

I’ve just looked this up from 2000 - https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/jun/22/kirstyscott

My favourite quotes from the article are as follows (so similar to the current arguments):

Nicola Sturgeon, of the Scottish National party, said: "A discriminatory and shameful piece of legislation that was imposed on Scotland by Westminster will today be repealed by the Scottish parliament ahead of other parts of the UK. That says something about the state of Scotland that we can all be proud of."

But there was harsh criticism of the executive for its handling of the issue. Last week, it finally bowed to pressure to include marriage in legally enforceable guidelines on sex education.

The Conservatives said the nation had been split by the "bungled" handling of the issue. "The fact that the government has had so much difficulty with the 'm' word shows just how out of touch it has been in bringing repeal," said the Tories' Brian Monteith. "It has been bungled and it has left the nation divided about the policies and priorities of this parliament."

5 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I’ve just looked this up from 2000 - https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/jun/22/kirstyscott

My favourite quotes from the article are as follows (so similar to the current arguments):

Nicola Sturgeon, of the Scottish National party, said: "A discriminatory and shameful piece of legislation that was imposed on Scotland by Westminster will today be repealed by the Scottish parliament ahead of other parts of the UK. That says something about the state of Scotland that we can all be proud of."

But there was harsh criticism of the executive for its handling of the issue. Last week, it finally bowed to pressure to include marriage in legally enforceable guidelines on sex education.

The Conservatives said the nation had been split by the "bungled" handling of the issue. "The fact that the government has had so much difficulty with the 'm' word shows just how out of touch it has been in bringing repeal," said the Tories' Brian Monteith. "It has been bungled and it has left the nation divided about the policies and priorities of this parliament."

That quote from Monteith could be from 2022 

They really struggle to lay a glove on the SNP, they have nothing 

1 minute ago, Clown Job said:

That quote from Monteith could be from 2022 

They really struggle to lay a glove on the SNP, they have nothing 

Agreed, although I’m more interested in the claims by @Jedi that NS was against the repeal. 

It seems his preferred form of political argument is just to make stuff up. 

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Peppino used to be FuzzyAfro, definitely not Supras.

Christ, I'd forgotten about FuzzyAfro.

I don't think either of them golfed with the stars, did they?