The 1997 thread

ICTChris

1997 was also the year The Caley began their ascent of the then SFL which just 7 years later would culminate in us being promoted to the SPL.  What a team we had then - Iain Stewart, Barry Wilson, Daisy Ross, Jim Calder, a young Scott 'Trigger' McLean.  Lovely stuff.

Revisited Be Here Now off the back off this thread. I remember the excitement when D'You Know What I Mean came out, Radio 1 and MTV basically having it on a loop all day, not seen anything like it since.

Also, this is still an absolute belter 

12 hours ago, scottsdad said:

We are closer to 2046 than we are to 1997. 

That shit occasionally melts my mind.

Teenagers now will think of 1997 in the same way that I thought of the early Seventies when I was their age.

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

That shit occasionally melts my mind.

Teenagers now will think of 1997 in the same way that I thought of the early Seventies when I was their age.

Can you name any of the Beverly Sisters?

There are people alive today who would have the same problem with Oasis, Pulp or Blur.

Scary.

17 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Can you name any of the Beverly Sisters?

There are people alive today who would have the same problem with Oasis, Pulp or Blur.

Scary.

I was in a group of people talking about birthdays recently, and one of the fully-grown adults mentioned that they were born in 2001. That's the year I got married.

I'm ashamed to say that my immediate response, which I didn't manage to stop myself vocalising, was a disgusted "f**k you!"

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

I was in a group of people talking about birthdays recently, and one of the fully-grown adults mentioned that they were born in 2001. That's the year I got married.

I'm ashamed to say that my immediate response, which I didn't manage to stop myself vocalising, was a disgusted "f**k you!"

I get this scare every year. Currently receiving applications for university places from people born in 2004.

On a personal level, got engaged and a flat together in 1997. 

Culturally, I remember that TFI, Cool Britannia sort of era with a bit of irritation. 

In football terms, I went to the qualifiers with Estonia at Killmarnock and the virtual clincher with Latvia at an unfinished Parkhead.  '97 also saw Queens reach the Challenge Cup final, which we lost to Falkirk at Motherwell.  It felt significant in that we took over 5,000 fans and it kind of highlighted that there was potential for us to punch higher than we then tended to.

The big events were the election and Diana.

Labour winning that election genuinely was tremendously exciting.  We'd had a Tory government since I was in P4 and I was nearly 27 by the time that changed.  The 1992 election had felt incredibly wounding.  Even though it was clear that Labour had moved rightwards in 1997, there was still optimism attached to this and even though we know where it all landed, the optimism wasn't entirely misplaced.

Diana's death really was remarkable.  Of course it was, and should have been, a massive news story.  It was shocking, and in human terms, sad. 

What it spawned though, was yet more shocking.  I genuinely thought that a certain reserve and cynicism were character traits that ran through most of the UK population.  That event genuinely told me that I didn't live in the country I'd thought I did.  In an age before Social Media, people still managed to go nuts. The pressure to think and feel a certain way was palpable, and of course, we see it constantly now.  The hypocrisy of it bugged me.  As evidenced by those scooping up armfuls of CDs, many of those most 'grief stricken', loved every second.  The country suddenly felt less mature than I'd always sort of assumed it was.

Looking back, it was a different time, but the seeds of much of what blights us today, were firmly in place.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

I like to think that the public reaction to Diana's death was something that had been building up for some time and the fact that it came about after Diana's demise was purely coincidental. Had she escaped that Parisian tunnel unharmed then we'd have seen the same collective insanity for Tommy Ring's passing a month later.

10 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

image.thumb.jpeg.3bc76f7beb16b6a7447043b20e9ee42f.jpeg

Also 1997 brought us this absolute belter of an album

Mind you used to get wee cards to post away to get put on bands mailing lists, I was on the SFA one and have all the postcards from the singles release off this album. Found them when cleaning out my old dears attic along with a ton of 90s hip hop and rave ones.

25 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Mind you used to get wee cards to post away to get put on bands mailing lists, I was on the SFA one and have all the postcards from the singles release off this album. Found them when cleaning out my old dears attic along with a ton of 90s hip hop and rave ones.

I used to do that until I realised I was getting sent nothing but shite from various record labels I'd no interest in.

Speaks volumes that the most memorable thing I got was a promo tape of Republica before they were briefly famous, and that was just because their singer was interviewed on it and came across as remarkably full of herself.

1 hour ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Data harvesting before it found the steroids.

Looking back, i probably could have been a politician because in this year we ran a mock election in our modern studies class. My mate was one of the candidates standing, when my modern studies teacher asked who i voted for her, i said him. I was asked why? I said, because he is my mate. The sort of cronyism that is rife in politics these days.