The 1997 thread

ICTChris

I'm sure the first thing the New Labour Government did, after 18 years of Tory Government, was put up MPs pay.

Didn't have great hopes for them after that.

I went to North Macedonia for the first time in 1997 which was interesting.

I was at Stirling Uni at the time. Got off with a Dutch bird that summer.

The night Diana died I had been at Runrig at Stirling Castle. Donny Munro was quitting to become a Labour politician. Ironically enough the drummer has had more luck- the SNP's Pete Wishart.

FInished school, walked out knowing I was off to uni and that I was glad to see the back of the place and most of the folk in it. Looking back, I should just have bailed and done something more interesting, sixth year was a waste of time. 

Remember Tony Blair's popularity, and how he sunk himself by taking bribes from Bernie Ecclestone, and by continually giving Peter Mandleson a job. His decision to trim PMQ's to one session a week because he couldn't be arsed followed shortly after, but it was post-2000 that the wheels came right off. 

Diana dying didn't really register at the time. I think I got from the bar or somewhere in the middle of the night and mother was awake watching what passed for news about the situation. She informed of such, but I was pissed, fell asleep and woke up the next morning none the wiser. I DO recall the knickerwetting that followed from the public, tho, which may have been the beginnings of my general mistrust of the English. The fallout in the coming weeks - Jim Farry's determination to play a Scotland game on the day of her funeral, the cancellation of an Old Firm game, a couple of Rangers players threatening to quit the national team if proper respect wasn't shown, or something - was superb, and would have kept this forum in clover for months. 

Uni in Aberdeen as of September was just a drunken shambles. First installment of the student grant (not loan - grant) went on a Nintendo 64, Goldeneye and four controllers, and a happy time in student halls ensued. For the first four months, I think was blitzed every other day, as student life then was about hammering as much drink as you could for a pound a pint or whatever, and not the farce it seems to be now. 

Musically, the year was absolutely all over the place in terms of music. Aqua and Barbie Girl was everywhere, as was Robbie Williams solo stuff, while The Verve and Be Here Now were everywhere else. I've always thought there's some kind of decent documentary to be made about BHN. Its production was ludicrous, it missed the boat Oasis had previously launched in 1993 by some way due to delays and indulgence, and was so bloated as to be ridiculous, but if you give a gang of young men a shit load of money and a suitcase of cocaine, what do you think will happen? 

Can't remember much about football that year at all. I vaguely recall the Let's All Stay Home And Watch Quincy Cup Final, but I know Killie won it.  Lossie's mid-90's glory peaked in early 1997 when the North of Scotland Cup was won to go with the Highland League Cup won the previous September, and after that the team split up. Scotland's WC qualifiers came and went, the only I went to was in 1996 when Scotland got a chasing off Sweden and won 1-0.

Had worse years, TBH. 

7 hours ago, ICTChris said:

What are your memories of 1997 and thoughts on the changes before and since? 

f**k all, although I'm sure you all remember me entering the world as the people's princess slipped off. 

GBNF x

I remember on the day after the election, having pulled an all nighter watching LAB GAIN after LAB GAIN and the Tory big beasts getting beaten one after the other, I had eventually fallen asleep. When I got up, to get the results in full I had to wander down to the shop and pick-up an afternoon edition of the paper which had all the results in a "special pullout".

No 24 hour news channels to check in on, no Internet to find the results on (at least none in a wee device in my pocket).

By the time of the next election, post 9/11, clearly the Internet had fairly taken hold.

So 1997 might be the last time I bought two different editions of the same day's newspapers in order to give me information I couldn't otherwise get immediately.

I remember being a teenager in 97, out mad clubbing every night and getting wrecked a lot. Just done the arithmetic and it turns out I was 38. :bag

P.S. It was London though, where adults are permitted into nightlife..

Edited by welshbairn

I vividly remember a Glasgow club going to the wall only for their fans to club together and save them.

Sci-Fi stuff, I know 😉.

The political stuff; I remember feeling the optimism of the Tory years ending, like the last days of an empire. It had been a long death, the papers running a series of Tory sleaze stories (mellor, Hamilton, Aitken etc). f**k knows what I was expecting (I was 14 too) but it felt like things would be different. 

I remember it being kind of a beginning of an end to the indie britpop era and the resumption of the factory pop band era of the late 80's. 

97 was a mixed year. Fancied a lassie, I probably, realistically had no chance with. Didn’t ask her for fear of her knocking me back. Have met her twice since and have made an arse of myself both times. She probably dodged a bullet there.

Went up and down the country watching Raith get pumped before finally being put put of our misery and relegated from the spl.

Went to my second ever Scotland game at parkhead where we beat Latvia 2-0.
Spent the rest of that year and the following one playing Fifa road to the world cup 98 on the ps1. Took zambia to the world cup final and ended up signing the likes of maldini and co for Raith after i was able to edit the teams.

I was 16. Was great when I think back to it. Remember buying BHN, folk queuing up for it. Pretty sure I seen Prodigy at SECC doing Fat of the Land tour in 97 and Oasis walking off stage in there too after Liam got hit by a pint. Lot of weed smoked, lot of cheap cider drunk

Oh aye and Killie won the cup 😀

2 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

I was 6/7 and spent most of my time pretending to be Baby Spice. 

I initially read that as you rating your looks as a solid 6 out of 7, and was a bawhair away from posting "wid" until I realised it was your fucking age 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I was between P3 and P4. I’ve scant few memories of actual current events that year, though I remember the two biggies (general election, Diana dying) vividly.

I always remember 1998 as more of a seminal year mainly due to a glorious 2 week summer holiday in the south of France which coincided with the climax of the World Cup. In stark contrast the summer holiday took place that year in a cottage beside the Culbin Forest. I can confirm it was roasting that summer though as I remember long sunny days constructing castles as the tide came and went on the beach at Findhorn, as well as torturous walks in the heat through the forest itself.

During term time there would have been cub scouts, swimming lesson, mini rugby outside of school and then football and various derivations of tig and British bulldogs at break times in the playground. I’d have walked on a Friday afternoon to the sweet shop after school to spend my 50p pocket money. Halcyon days really.

Had a mad birdwatching obsession around this age too, so imagine landing on the Bass rock and my first visit to the Farne Islands probably happened around this time too. Those Sunday afternoon “Wildlife on One” Attenborough programmes, which would have been another highlight of the week, seem to my memory far better than the modern blockbuster stuff that’s produced now.