The 1997 thread

ICTChris

39 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I messed up the spoiler tags on the OP.  Open them to watch people buying loads of Elton John and Nicholas Fairbairn giving a rundown of anal sex.

A bit rich of Fairbairn given it was well known around Perthshire he was a predatory paedophile. 

I don't know if his wife is still alive so won't say anything about her. 

5 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

A bit rich of Fairbairn given it was well known around Perthshire he was a predatory paedophile. 

I don't know if his wife is still alive so won't say anything about her. 

His wife is dead according to wikipedia.  And yes, he is now generally considered as confirmed as being a sex offender.

There's an interview with Noel Gallagher on Youtube from the 20th anniversary of Be Here Now where he goes into a lot of detail about that time. Getting ridiculously famous, the chaos in the build up/hype to Be Here Now and then them slowly realising that they'd made an arse of it. It sounded like a great laugh to be honest, things like News at Ten giving updates on how they were getting on in the studio making it are just unimaginable now. 

Edited by Fratelli

That Section 28 stuff was absolutely wild. Grown adults claiming that it would mean pupils were being taught how to be homosexual rather than just teaching pupils that there was nothing wrong with being homosexual.

I don’t have many memories of 1997 because I was only 5 years old and I spent most of my time playing with my toy dinosaurs.

I get a very strange sense of nostalgia when I think about the 90s even though I was too young to properly experience it. Quite hard to explain.

If I was to chose any era to live out my late teens/early 20s it would be the 90s. That or the Mesozoic of course.

21 minutes ago, Gaz said:

That Section 28 stuff was absolutely wild. Grown adults claiming that it would mean pupils were being taught how to be homosexual rather than just teaching pupils that there was nothing wrong with being homosexual.

It's always worth remembering that the opposition to removing it was more organised in Scotland.  Brian Souter was the main driver of it, the bankroller, but the Scottish press, in particular the Daily Record, ran a really significant campaign against getting rid of the Clause.  There was a kind of old guard of writers at the Record at the time who really did represent the kind of just passed generation - Joan Burnie, Tom Slater (I think that was his name?).  Things like Jack McConnell being revelaed as having an affair was played as a big scandal.  It had an impact, the SNP were a bit wooly on this, they wanted to repeal it and replace it with alternative wording, I think Labour said something similar.

1997 Before the internet and mobile phones made life far better and far worse. Feels kind of like what the 60's seemed like. On the surface a time of new hope and feel good factor but in reality all the same problems where there that were in the 80s and after the 90s

Edited by BigDoddyKane

1997 memories.... Absolutely no contest, as an 11 year old fan of a diddy team, the run to the cup final will go with me to the grave.

I was at 3 of the matches in the cup run. Raith at Brockville, Celtic (first one) at Ibrox and the final.

We bodied Raith pretty easily as I remember, having beat Dunfermline the round previous, then I got my first experience of a "big" stadium. Remember now, im a young diddy fan, iv only been to shiteholes by this point.

Walking into Ibrox, seeing that many fans at a game, hearing the noise etc was just amazing to me. Truly mind blowing.

We all know how the football side went, but as far as a milestone in 1997, its that Scottish Cup.

52 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

His wife is dead according to wikipedia.  And yes, he is now generally considered as confirmed as being a sex offender.

Oh good well so was she. 

They were both well known for their charitable work and mentoring around the boarding schools in Perthshire including being willing to stay overnight if necessary. 

6 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

1997 Before the internet and mobile phones made life far better and far worse. Feels kind of like what the 60's seemed like. On the surface a time of new hope and feel good factor but in reality all the same problems where there that were in the 80s and after the 90s

I started using the internet in  ~1995. In 97 I got my first home PC - it weighed a bloody ton. I would sign up to whatever provider was offering a free month of internet access (compuserve, AOL and so on) then cancel with them and move to the next one, before Freeserve came on the scene and removed the need for hopping around. 

Maybe used it for an hour every second day. Bear in mind, it tied up the phone line for the house in those days. 

When I went to uni, they had computer labs that were open 24 hours so would surf the web from there rather than at home. 

Youngsters on this thread have no earthly idea how slow the internet was on a 14.4k modem. You would go to a website, off to make a cup of tea and a sandwich, and if you were lucky the page had loaded up by the time you got back.  

I was 7/8. Started going to watch Raith regularly just as we had been relegated from the Premier League and the brief glory days were fading fast. From memory we won more often than not that season, which was a poor introduction into what was about to come over the next decade. Meanwhile, I was disappointed to find that I was shite at football. 

I remember Blair's victory and people generally being happy about it, but that's it. 

Edited by Michael W

21 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It's always worth remembering that the opposition to removing it was more organised in Scotland.  Brian Souter was the main driver of it, the bankroller, but the Scottish press, in particular the Daily Record, ran a really significant campaign against getting rid of the Clause.  There was a kind of old guard of writers at the Record at the time who really did represent the kind of just passed generation - Joan Burnie, Tom Slater (I think that was his name?).  Things like Jack McConnell being revelaed as having an affair was played as a big scandal.  It had an impact, the SNP were a bit wooly on this, they wanted to repeal it and replace it with alternative wording, I think Labour said something similar.

Who was the auld soak that inexplicably had a twice-weekly column in the Record solely about his exploits in getting hammered. Bob Shields?