The 1997 thread

ICTChris

1 hour ago, buchan30 said:

Looking back, i probably could have been a politician because in this year we ran a mock election in our modern studies class. My mate was one of the candidates standing, when my modern studies teacher asked who i voted for her, i said him. I was asked why? I said, because he is my mate. The sort of cronyism that is rife in politics these days.

In my school the guy who won the mock election in 1997 is now an MP.

7 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Ah yes 1997, I voted for Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Screenshot_20220205-213437_Chrome.jpg

Genuinely had to look that up to see if it was a joke or not.  Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when he was canvassing around the likes of Methil at that time.

Some of these pictures are excellent caption competition material:

image.jpg?&width=640

image.jpg?&width=640

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Genuinely had to look that up to see if it was a joke or not.  Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when he was canvassing around the likes of Methil at that time.

Some of these pictures are excellent caption competition material:

Hide contents

image.jpg?&width=640

image.jpg?&width=640

My god I hate that c**t 

I turned 17 in January of 97, went to a 'big' football stadium in the April for the cup semi replay v Celtic in a bus run by a cousin. I remember the second half taking about 4 years but what an amazing atmosphere after Willie Young's full time whistle. I'm sure I piled off the bus at a pub in Moodiesburn on the way home where I got served my first ever pint. 

Went to the final by train and the main thing I remember was being on the underground/low level on the way to Ibrox, the carriage being full of Falkirk fans until about 10 Killie fans got on, being sh*t feart of trouble starting but everybody just having a great time. 

Apart from that, met my first proper girlfriend, lost my virginity and passed my driving test. I also have a vague memory of being in the high school teacher staff room for a leaving lunch with my fellow 6th years and teachers on the day of the election, during the lunch the Headmaster tell us all it would likely be the final time we were all in the same room together and thinking "yeah right then". Twenty five years later and there's still some folk I haven't seen since that day

Edited by FK1Bairn
Removed a memory from 97 as it was actually 98

1997, the year "culture" ground to a halt?

The endless, systematic strip-mining of Star Wars as an intellectual property begins , paving the way for the endless, systematic strip-mining of numerous intellectual properties already in existence*

Grand Theft Auto first released, an "intellectual property" which will glamorize anti-authority sentiment for impressionable young males.

Hip-Hop/ "Gangsta Rap" become mainstream, creating various templates for how much of pop-culture will be presented to us

Brass Eye is broadcast - arguably the peak of satire before the onslaught of a post-satire world

I'm Alan Partridge is broadcast (with laughter track) taking a cultish parody creation to mainstream sitcom status

WWF wrestling tv shows are produced with a formula and template that will remain unchanged, focusing on an anti-authoritarian bent, doing away with the notion of good vs evil for a generation of teenage males.

The first year the "Champions" League features teams who are not Champions. Formulaic production and presentation becomes calcified.

"Driving School" is broadcast - setting the template for the type of reality tv shows which will dominate television screens in the following years

First publication of Harry Potter which will become the template for a seemingly endless ream of teenage/adult fantasy escapism "franchises"

* I'm not big on Star Wars so I may be wrong on this. My understanding is that though there were books, computer games and various other types of merchandise  prior to 1997, from what I've read/been told it took on a whole new systematic approach from 1997 onwards.

I'm sure there are plenty other examples of tv shows that became set in stone in their presentation. 

Maybe the events I've listed are of no real consequence and I'm giving more weight to them than they deserve? 

Edited by Luddite