Euro 2028 - Host bid

Clown Job

13 minutes ago, forameus said:

I'd be inclined to do away with any automatic qualification for any multi-country bids.  Let's face it, England don't need it (although it would deny them pissing off to spend a campaign playing whatever friendlies they want from available teams), and Scotland/Wales/the Irelands should absolutely be able to qualify for a 24 team tournament.  Did any Euro 2020/1 hosts end up not qualifying?

Romania and Azerbaijan didn't.

25 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Don't really understand the negativity around this, a Euros being hosted on these shores is long overdue, Euro 2020 obviously had the games here but the mixture of covid and the multi-host thing meant it didn't really feel like a UK tournament - or even like a major tournament at all to be honest. I can't see any downside at all aside from the expected bitterness about England, the country with the most people and massive stadia coming out of their ears, having the most games.

I think it will be great as a fan, and if we can get some government money to do up Hampden and potentially also some other training facilities then it will be good for the game too.

England could easily host a good tournament on their own. Giving the other nations a token venue each feels like it’s more about politics and/or optics than anything else.

I think a joint bid is better when it’s a more level playing field, like Belgium/Netherlands, Austria/Switzerland or Japan/South Korea. This is just an England+ bid.

Having some games at Hampden is cool but what will it be - 4/5 games? The money won’t even touch the sides when it comes to doing up Hampden.

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

England could easily host a good tournament on their own. Giving the other nations a token venue each feels like it’s more about politics and/or optics than anything else.

I think a joint bid is better when it’s a more level playing field, like Belgium/Netherlands, Austria/Switzerland or Japan/South Korea. This is just an England+ bid.

Having some games at Hampden is cool but what will it be - 4/5 games? The money won’t even touch the sides when it comes to doing up Hampden.

This is it for me.  I'd be interested to hear what exactly would be done to Hampden with the money, as that could sway things either way.  It's unlikely we get a chance to do anything to it otherwise, but I also don't think what they actually decide to do will be anywhere near what people want or what is needed.  Like Craig says, the allocations kind of make sense given the countries involved and the facilities in the smaller countries, but I'm not convinced that's what's at play, and it very much seems like an England+ bid to satisfy optics.  

23 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

England getting another home tournament with all their games at Wembley is it?  They're desperate to win something with this squad.

Two of their first-choice defenders will be in their mid to late thirties and their star striker (and captain) will be approaching 35, fair play to them if they do win it with that squad.

24 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

The optics are satisfactory so a good job all round in my view. Just waiting on a Celtic fan asking why their stadium hasn't been nominated and we'll be sorted.

The Aviva is on the list, m8.   

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The original plan from UEFA was an increase to 32, which wouldn't really add any extra games for any individual country, but that seems to have been voted down. They'll need to find one way or another of sorting out the hosting situation, I wonder if they'll f**k about with the play-offs to give any hosts who fail to qualify normally a second chance in those.

I'd missed that they'd explicitly decided against that, that's a real shame. Not because of this tournament specifically but just in general, when you've got a 24 team tournament going to 32 seems inevitable at some point to stop the group stage being shit with 3rd placed teams qualifying. The sooner the better.

I’m not personally a fan of what seems to be a new thing of large countries who could easily host alone joining together with neighbours. The US, Canada and Mexico could all easily host a World Cup alone but we’re spreading it over 3000 miles for… reasons. 

This bid has similar vibes albeit there’s the caveat that Scotland, Wales, NI and Ireland simply couldn’t manage a 24 team Euros, and really only the big countries (Germany, England, Italy, France, Spain, maybe Turkey) ever could. It would be better if we could borrow a couple of English stadiums - say Newcastle and Everton, as the closest to the Scottish/Welsh borders, and manage two stadia each rather than being the junior partners with a few group games and one in the  last 16. England could easily host alone and I’m still a bit confused as to why they’re not just doing that when most games and the latter stages will be there. 

I would assume any journalist worth their salt is on the phone right now to Maxwell to ask what the plan for Hanpden is re redevelopment?

If they do not have a plan ready to go right now, then nothing material is getting done to it. Given tournament is 5 years away and how slow planning goes and that you'd need test events etc, then even to re do the end stands, you would need to make a start this year really or certainly have a very firm plan by the year end and started by next summer. 

Only qualifying for major tournaments with the games at Hampden (I know we got a trip to Wembley last time) is certainly not what I hoped for in the barren 1998-2021 years so hopefully we get to Germany in 2024 first.

1 hour ago, TeeMan said:

Only qualifying for major tournaments with the games at Hampden (I know we got a trip to Wembley last time) is certainly not what I hoped for in the barren 1998-2021 years so hopefully we get to Germany in 2024 first.

Spot on.

Going down to England and taking over a city would be more fun than qualifying and then playing all the games at Hampden.

7 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

I would assume any journalist worth their salt is on the phone right now to Maxwell to ask what the plan for Hanpden is re redevelopment?

If they do not have a plan ready to go right now, then nothing material is getting done to it. Given tournament is 5 years away and how slow planning goes and that you'd need test events etc, then even to re do the end stands, you would need to make a start this year really or certainly have a very firm plan by the year end and started by next summer. 

No chance of major reconstruction work taking place at Hampden over the next 5 years. For a proper rebuild of the end stands, maintaining or increasing capacity, you're looking at £100m plus.

The promised £14m might improve the turnstile speed and catering service which would certainly be a welcome step. 

7 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Spot on.

Going down to England and taking over a city would be more fun than qualifying and then playing all the games at Hampden.

Yes, but Hampden gives a better chance of actually getting into a knockout game, which I'd like us to achieve at least once in my lifetime. Decent chance that would then be in England (or Wales/Ireland).

Edited by Bully Wee Villa