Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Bobcat Goldthwait, who played Zed in the Police Academy films, is a good listen if you catch him on a podcast. He says he takes great pleasure from having all these Trumpy Bros turn up to his shows/talks expecting Zed and seeing them crestfallen when they discover he’s a sensitive, shambling lefty in real life. 

4 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Bobcat Goldthwait, who played Zed in the Police Academy films, is a good listen if you catch him on a podcast. He says he takes great pleasure from having all these Trumpy Bros turn up to his shows/talks expecting Zed and seeing them crestfallen when they discover he’s a sensitive, shambling lefty in real life. 

He also made a film about Bigfoot.

@Bigmouth Strikes Again

4 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I remember Warren Mitchell saying something similar. He was constantly being approached by canutes who assumed he held the same views as Alf Garnett and wanted to express their support. He found it depressing that so many had missed the point the show was trying to make.

Putting the mass murder aside for a moment, you can’t help but laugh at how monumentally shit the Russian military is. 60 years of flexing their “military might” across the globe, then when it comes to the big stage they’re getting squads of paratroopers stuck in a lift and military hardware ransacked by farmers. 

7 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Putting the mass murder aside for a moment, you can’t help but laugh at how monumentally shit the Russian military is. 60 years of flexing their “military might” across the globe, then when it comes to the big stage they’re getting squads of paratroopers stuck in a lift and military hardware ransacked by farmers. 

I wonder how they're reporting it in America. For decades, politicians used the terrifying Russian military to emphasise their need to have an exponentially larger defence budget than the rest of the world combined.

I guess China have taken their place these days.

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I wonder how they're reporting it in America. For decades, politicians used the terrifying Russian military to emphasise their need to have an exponentially larger defence budget than the rest of the world combined.

I've seen a bizarre intriguing pivot from some crazy yanks saying Russia being shite is terrible because it means China will just absorb parts of Russia and become too powerful in the region like they're going to mutate into some unstoppable monster. 

Edited by Albus Bulbasaur

You wonder if Russia accidentally showing the world their arse will help lead to a better negotiated outcome for Ukraine. The losses seem heavy as f**k, and with the greatest respect for the sanctity of human life, hopefully it continues to increase from here on the Russian side.

Regarding how shit the Russian military is, I listened to a great podcast about the war featuring an interview with Michael Kofman, who is an analyst of the Russian military.  He goes through reasons why the performance has been poor in some areas, better in others and one quote he had was that while he’s used to arguing that the Russian armed forces aren’t 12 feet tall, he’s now finding himself arguing that they aren’t 4 feet tall. The Russian army are capable of a military victory in this conflict - probably at an enormous human cost and in such a way that negate the political goals of Russias leaders, but a victory nonetheless.

I’d really recommend it, it’s the latest War On The Rocks podcast. Michael Kofman is a great follow on Twitter as well.

Edited by ICTChris

The British involvement with Ukraine prior to and during this war is confusing, and at odds with the behaviour of the politicians in government.

On one hand, it's clear that BJ and co are knees deep in Russian money and appear to be heavily compromised, but on the other, Britain's armed forces have been training and supplying the Ukrainian military for several years. Like a lot of things here, it just doesn't add up.

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Regarding how shit the Russian military is, I listened to a great podcast about the war featuring an interview with Michael Kofman, who is an analyst of the Russian military.  He goes through reasons why the performance has been poor in some areas, better in others and one quote he had was that while he’s used to arguing that the Russian armed forces aren’t 12 feet tall, he’s now finding himself arguing that they aren’t 4 feet tall. The Russian army are capable of a military victory in this conflict - probably at an enormous human cost and in such a way that negate the political goals of Russias leaders, but a victory nonetheless.

I’d really recommend it, it’s the latest War On The Rocks podcast. Michael Kofman is a great follow on Twitter as well.

Awrite Michael we get the picture. 

Put Chris back on please.

I see Nicola Sturgeon thinks BBC Reporter Clive Myrie is an unsung hero. So does standing on a roof top reporting the news whilst at a safe distance make you an unsung hero? 

Hero might be pushing it a bit but I'm damn sure I wouldn't be fucking doing it