Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Anybody else access RT.com today and get a wee message "checking your browser before connecting"?

Looks like I'm flagged up as a Russian spy now. I expect MI6 to be at my door any minute. Just wait until the see that I'm a member of the Red Army. I'm fucked.

Just now, Bairnardo said:
3 minutes ago, Antlion said:
I think you answered your own question. The “pull up the ladder behind you” types are going to join the Tory party as a natural home and thereby be better able to achieve their aims.

Well, in their defence, surely these people could at least have the decency to have loads of money before being brutally forced from their homes.

The rich are by design, always going to be greedy and 'protect our interests at all costs' types. That I understand - disagree with, but understand.

I'll never, ever understand though, the lack of comprehension of those who live in the country, are on the breadline, struggle through life and continue to vote for a party who tell them that foreigners coming over here will ultimately be the ones who take away everything that they have and hold dear.

People who have nothing, terrified that the nothing they have will be taken away by people with less than nothing, instead of actually realising that they have more in common with your average foreigner without a pot to piss in, than they ever will with the people telling them to be wary of those types.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
9 minutes ago, Antlion said:
I think you answered your own question. The “pull up the ladder behind you” types are going to join the Tory party as a natural home and thereby be better able to achieve their aims.

Well, in their defence, surely these people could at least have the decency to have loads of money before being brutally forced from their homes.

The mental thing is, just having money is no good you have to spunk a huge chuck over the Tory party and then you are set.

1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:
1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

That's an interesting read but we've got no way of knowing if it's just propaganda and a mirror image of Firefox' earlier rant.

Yeah, an interesting read, but it's a bit too much like what we'd want to hear to be plausible.

29 minutes ago, 101 said:

Didn't know that about him.

What is it with Tories also being "pull the ladder up behind you" types.

Him, Patel and Javid's parents all arrived in the UK when we were "global Britain" and the three of them have played a huge part in turning us into an insular hell hole. You would think they would have more compassion but it seems the opposite it true.

They are all big supporters of Brexit and they know Brexit relied heavily on people who hate foreigners and the idea of any of them coming here.

What is the point booting out the Romanians and Bulgarians if you are simply going to let in the Ukrainians because of some silly war.

It should be pointed out that Putin was a big fan of Brexit too.

Interesting story about one of the films pulled from the Glasgow Film Festival.

The director is half Ukrainian, his grandmother is in a Kiev bomb shelter and he has signed two petitions to stop the war.

This is the New York Times calling us out. The home of cancel culture thinks the GFF are idiots.

6 minutes ago, bendan said:

Yeah, an interesting read, but it's a bit too much like what we'd want to hear to be plausible.

The bit about global famine and the use of a localised nuclear strike in Ukraine to scare the West doesn't fall into that category for me. Having said that though I'm also highly dubious about its authenticity but either way it's probably not too far off reflecting a lot of what is currently unfolding. What happens in Syria (and Nagorno-Karabakh) over the next few months is definitely something to watch and what their end game is on replacing Zelenskyy is probably as murky to Russian strategists at this point as described.

30 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Anybody else access RT.com today and get a wee message "checking your browser before connecting"?

Looks like I'm flagged up as a Russian spy now. I expect MI6 to be at my door any minute. Just wait until the see that I'm a member of the Red Army. I'm fucked.

Are you suggesting Davie MacKormark is behind this whole sordid affair in a frozen wasteland full of toothless locals addicted to alcohol?

Spoiler

I’ll set them up..

3 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

During the Cold War, the Soviet Union imported wheat from the USA because it was unable to produce enough on its own.

Think the notion of global famine is over the top but lower income countries that rely heavily on imports of Russian and Ukrainian wheat are going to have a problem. Think that's likely to mainly be in the Middle East and North Africa (e.g. Syria, Egypt, Yemen) plus Afghanistan.

47 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Don't be silly.

It will be MI5 that will be dragging you away.

49 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Save time by wearing an orange boiler suit around the house. 

Think the notion of global famine is over the top but lower income countries that rely heavily on imports of Russian and Ukrainian wheat are going to have a problem. Think that's likely to mainly be in the Middle East and North Africa (e.g. Syria, Egypt, Yemen) plus Afghanistan.
Although a global famine, as in one experienced throughout the world, seems far fetched, it wouldn't surprise me if a good few countries experience it. We've learnt through covid how fragile some of our systems are. Ethiopia is a net exporter of food and they're the famine poster child.

Ireland are close to the top of the table for food import dependency. We're not too bad.

3 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Been a lot of speculation why the Russian air force is mostly missing. One theory is all the NATO surveillance planes that have been constantly flying along the borders are monitoring Russian movements and passing the data straight to the Ukrainians. In an all-out war, first thing to do is get rid of the surveillance planes but the Russians can't in this case. There's therefore no need to enforce a no-fly zone, the West is giving Ukraine hand-held missiles and telling them exactly where to point them. 

This must be great for NATO gathering intelligence about Russian tactics and capabilities