Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Didn't know that about him.

What is it with Tories also being "pull the ladder up behind you" types.

Him, Patel and Javid's parents all arrived in the UK when we were "global Britain" and the three of them have played a huge part in turning us into an insular hell hole. You would think they would have more compassion but it seems the opposite it true.

Gina Yashere (aye, I know, bear with me) had a bit about immigrants being incredibly hostile to immigration. Supposedly her Nigerian mother was a Brexiteer because it would stop all the foreigners coming in  :blink:

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

It was pointed out to me yesterday that this was the first scene in Threads 😱

EOgQlvWXkAEm1oS.jpg

You'd think they'd have set it somewhere that would've looked worse after the bombs dropped.

59 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

During the Cold War, the Soviet Union imported wheat from the USA because it was unable to produce enough on its own.

Thats when it was communist, seems to be a common theme when the state takes over farming=food shortages.

3 minutes ago, steve55 said:

This is quite telling.

I used to believe that the US bombed the shit out of other countries but, going by the accuracy of everything else you copypaste, I'm now wondering if they've been the good guys all along.

23 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Gina Yashere (aye, I know, bear with me) had a bit about immigrants being incredibly hostile to immigration. Supposedly her Nigerian mother was a Brexiteer because it would stop all the foreigners coming in  :blink:

You'd think they'd have set it somewhere that would've looked worse after the bombs dropped.

I've been to Sheffield. The wifie pishing herself in the street was just a normal Saturday afternoon.

20 minutes ago, steve55 said:

Thats when it was communist, seems to be a common theme when the state takes over farming=food shortages.

Especially with the communists.  I read about this happening in North Korea.  Traditional farming indicated how many plants should be planted per square metre (or acres or whatever). 

Communist ideology was that plants should "learn" to get along and if you plant a lot more in the same area, the plant will adapt and you will get a greater yield.  Instead, the crop had insufficient nutrients and the whole crop failed.  Stupid crops - have only themselves to blame!

5 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I've been to Sheffield. The wifie pishing herself in the street was just a normal Saturday afternoon.

Only been there once, back when Ali G was massive (lol), and all the youngsters were swaggering around giving it that faux-Jamaican patois.

Get the place melted to glass NOW.

1 minute ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Shocking lift etiquette there....................."8 persons max" ffs.............no wonder their invasion is dying on it's arse.

Imagine being the wee lad left alone at the bottom after his comrades say they'll send it back down for him.

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Only been there once, back when Ali G was massive (lol), and all the youngsters were swaggering around giving it that faux-Jamaican patois.

Get the place melted to glass NOW.

I'd mentioned earlier in the thread (sorry!)we'd rewatched Threads a few weeks ago, and I'd read up on it afterwards...one thing I hadn't realised that they originally planned to give it a greater sense of immediacy by using the cast of Coronation St so that the audience would already feel they "knew" the characters.

I think they quietly shelved the idea when they realised that the world wasn't quite ready for the sight of Ken Barlow being executed for looting or Hilda Ogden shitting herself tio death with radiation sickness...

4 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I'd mentioned earlier in the thread (sorry!)we'd rewatched Threads a few weeks ago, and I'd read up on it afterwards...one thing I hadn't realised that they originally planned to give it a greater sense of immediacy by using the cast of Coronation St so that the audience would already feel they "knew" the characters.

I think they quietly shelved the idea when they realised that the world wasn't quite ready for the sight of Ken Barlow being executed for looting or Hilda Ogden shitting herself tio death with radiation sickness...

Screenshot_20220306-123512_IMDb.jpg

4 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

That does sound fucking tremendous, though.

Wouldn't have worked with EastEnders. They're all so miserable anyway that radiation sickness would have made little difference.

Russia and Ukraine blame each other as Mariupol evacuation fails again

Pro-Russian separatists and Ukraine’s National Guard accused each other of failing to establish a humanitarian corridor out of the Ukrainian city of Mariupol on Sunday, the second time the sides have attempted to arrange it.

Ukraine 24 television showed a fighter of the Azov Regiment of the National Guard who said Russian and pro-Russian forces that have encircled the port city of about 400,000 continued shelling the areas that were meant to be safe.

The Interfax news agency cited an official of the Donetsk separatist administration who accused the Ukrainian forces of failing to observe the limited ceasefire.

The separatist official said only about 300 people have left the city. Ukrainian authorities have earlier said they planned to evacuate over 200,000 people from Mariupol.