Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

If Putin wants to nuke somewhere he should nuke a little island in the middle of nowhere so not to start a nuclear war. Fire off a warning nuke to let people know he is being serious.

In WW2, the Americans had the bomb and debated where to drop it.  They did consider dropping it somewhere unimportant and telling Japan to watch.  However , that might have backfired.  Japan might have watched and decided that although it was a serious bomb, the Americans did not have the stomach to bomb somewhere with lots of people.  Thus, once the Americans decided they had to bomb Japan, it had to be a city and one that would be completely destroyed.

"BREAKING: Putin has instructed his government to prepare a list of countries that have imposed sanctions on Russia, its firms or any Russian nationals"

More scaremongering from Vlad. The more this stuff is public the more I am convinced when it comes to nuclear, he is all bark and no bite.

7 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

In WW2, the Americans had the bomb and debated where to drop it.  They did consider dropping it somewhere unimportant and telling Japan to watch.  However , that might have backfired.  Japan might have watched and decided that although it was a serious bomb, the Americans did not have the stomach to bomb somewhere with lots of people.  Thus, once the Americans decided they had to bomb Japan, it had to be a city and one that would be completely destroyed.

It certainly wouldn't have killed them to try. If the Japanese called their bluff, the US would just have been in the same position.

4 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

"BREAKING: Putin has instructed his government to prepare a list of countries that have imposed sanctions on Russia, its firms or any Russian nationals"

More scaremongering from Vlad. The more this stuff is public the more I am convinced when it comes to nuclear, he is all bark and no bite.

EcJ_j42XYAAcsGq.jpg

2 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Britain?

We're surely the perfect target?

Small time power wise so pose no threat of retaliation, but big enough that it'll have a worldwide effect. An island so mainland Europe wouldn't be directly affected by the blast beyond some fallout. Friendly enough to America that it makes a statement they can't protect their "friends", but not useful enough to America to make them start a proper nuclear war. We're not in the EU anymore either.

Russian doctrine, drawn up in 2010, pretty much gives Putin freedom to throw nukes about at enemies who "threaten the existence of the state". I've no doubt he could easily paint sanctions killing the economy as that tbh.

16 minutes ago, BFTD said:

It certainly wouldn't have killed them to try. If the Japanese called their bluff, the US would just have been in the same position.

Not quite.  The Americans only had so much U235.  If the first had failed in any way and maybe the second too, then it would be a while before the third bomb was ready.

You will recall the second bomb was intended for Kakura but it was cloudy, so they went on to Nagasaki.  After three attempts they were desperately low on fuel so they dropped it anyway to ensure the plane could make it to China.  More of a close run thing than many people realise.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Small time power wise so pose no threat of retaliation, but big enough that it'll have a worldwide effect. An island so mainland Europe wouldn't be directly affected by the blast beyond some fallout. Friendly enough to America that it makes a statement they can't protect their "friends", but not useful enough to America to make them start a proper nuclear war. We're not in the EU anymore either.

Russian doctrine, drawn up in 2010, pretty much gives Putin freedom to throw nukes about at enemies who "threaten the existence of the state". I've no doubt he could easily paint sanctions killing the economy as that tbh.

Except there would be retaliation. 

1) From the UK where every Trident at sea would send buckets of instant sunshine with Putin's name on them

2) From NATO due to Article 5

If he attacks a NATO country with Nukes, Russia ceases to exist a few minutes later

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's not going to nuke a nuclear power or a NATO member, or else Moscow will quickly obliterated. 

Bad news for the Irish. 

10 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

1) From the UK where every Trident at sea would send buckets of instant sunshine with Putin's name on them

If he attacks a NATO country with Nukes, Russia ceases to exist a few minutes later

“In one of the countless billions of galaxies in the universe, lies a medium-sized star, and one of its satellites, a green and insignificant planet, is now dead.”

19 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Our response would rely on that bumbling moron Boris Johnson figuring out how to say "fire" before he was incinerated, I guess.

I remain unconvinced NATO would actually incite a full out nuclear war tbh, it all feels very "bluffy" to me.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Our response would rely on that bumbling moron Boris Johnson figuring out how to say "fire" before he was incinerated, I guess.

I remain unconvinced NATO would actually incite a full out nuclear war tbh, it all feels very "bluffy" to me.

Oh they would. Deterrence would have failed so they absolutely would have to try to obliterate Russia before Russia obliterated them.