Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Just now, Granny Danger said:

You really think Biden or Johnson could reach that decision?  Neither is capable.

Well, there is that. I can imagine both dithering like Jim Hacker when confronted with the reality of an overwhelming enemy being poised at their borders. An actual enemy, that is, not a desperate group of refugees.

What is there to be gained from issuing the order to end the world?

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Because you fancy not making a rip-roaring c**t of yourself for the first time in years? 

Today is not that day though.

A82C2CD1-48C9-41B5-9D28-A9E9CE8E0FD2.jpeg.d3be676db1ccf3317445a35c285ddeed.jpeg

I’ll leave making a “rip roaring c**t of yourself” to the experts like you.

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You really think Biden or Johnson could reach that decision?  Neither is capable.

I think Johnson would press the button if the last person to speak to him said he'd be remembered as a cowardly wimp if he didn't.

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Right then, If we're going to nick Abramovich's $600 million boat, we better get going. By my calculations it will arrive at Porto Montenegro, just outside Tivat, tomorrow lunchtime. The crew will be rat arsed by midnight and comatose by 3am. There's a 6.05 connecting flight from Edinburgh arrives mid afternoon, see you there.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17925927/roman-abramovichs-solaris-yacht-docks-montenegro-amid-hunt/

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think Johnson would press the button if the last person to speak to him said he'd be remembered as a cowardly wimp if he didn't.

Would likely depend on how far away he was from a bunker at the time, and whether he'd be responsible for repopulating the Earth with a band of plummy Sloane Rangers.

36 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There’s something sad about a supposed adult using memes to the extent you do.  Try to use your words better.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

There is already a warmonger; you really need to pay more attention.

Seems legit.

Reports that Belarus have specifically denied they are going to send troops into Ukraine. The chief of the General Staff said that they will only carry out tasks on their territory.

Lukashenko is a lot more dependent on Army support so if there's the likelihood they'll refuse or push back he has to listen to them.

22 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Is-NATO-annexing-countries.jpg

Countries just ask.

Victoria Nuland in 2013

"Since Ukraine's independence in 1991, the United States has supported Ukrainians as they build democratic skills and institutions, as they promote civic participation and good governance, all of which are preconditions for Ukraine to achieve its European aspirations," she said. "We have invested over $5 billion to assist Ukraine in these and other goals that will ensure a secure and prosperous and democratic Ukraine."

11 minutes ago, Detournement said:

"Since Ukraine's independence in 1991, the United States has supported Ukrainians as they build democratic skills and institutions, as they promote civic participation and good governance, all of which are preconditions for Ukraine to achieve its European aspirations," she said. "We have invested over $5 billion to assist Ukraine in these and other goals that will ensure a secure and prosperous and democratic Ukraine."

The utter b*****ds. How dare they!

More drone strike footage being released today, Ukrainian TB2 drones operating against Russian command centres and anti-aircraft missiles.

I'm sure I posted this in the Geopolitics thread but the predominant view pre-invasion was that this technology would be useless against Russian forces, who would simply down them with superior air power and electronic warfare.  The fact that they are still flying and are seemingly effective is completely opposite to what was thought possible.  There isn't any evidence for a single TB2 being shot down during the entire conflict.

We are also seeing an increase in the usage of Russian UAVs and loitering munitions.  Most of the footage of them seems to be around the Donbas area of conflict.

6 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

The utter b*****ds. How dare they!

Well has their very expensive interfering ensured a secure and prosperous Ukraine? Given that it's the poorest country in Europe and currently getting dismembered I think that $5 billion plus f**k knows how much since she said this in 2013 was for other purposes.

Until very recently the population of Ukraine was against joining NATO and NATO after leading Ukraine on for over a decade has now made it very clear they have no intention of ever admitting them.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Well has their very expensive interfering ensured a secure and prosperous Ukraine? Given that it's the poorest country in Europe and currently getting dismembered I think that $5 billion plus f**k knows how much since she said this in 2013 was for other purposes.

Until very recently the population of Ukraine was against joining NATO and NATO after leading Ukraine on for over a decade has now made it very clear they have no intention of ever admitting them.

They've spent it aw on disco biscuits. 

Roman Abramovich has been disqualified by the Premier league in England, I assume for having not assets and I don't think anything he has done comes close to the atrocities carried out by the Newcastle owners.

24 minutes ago, Detournement said:

One side extends influence through investing money.

The other extends influence through dropping cluster bombs on civilians.

Toughie this.