Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Russian soldiers are said to be leaving the Chernobyl area and moving into Belarus with some reports suggesting soldiers are being bused to a special medical facility with acute radiation sickness after driving tanks through the “dead zone” around the nuclear plant and - even more astonishingly - digging trenches there.

If confirmed, this suggests a remarkable level of either ignorance of what happened at Chernobyl on 26 April 1986 when the nuclear plant’s Reactor 4 exploded after an experiment went wrong, or criminal recklessness.

Ukrainians who work at the plant have described it as a “suicide mission” as a convoy of Russians wearing no protective clothing or masks, rolled through the “Red Forest” so named because the tops of the pine trees around the nuclear plant glowed red from the radiation they absorbed after the catastrophe.

The contaminated trees were later dug up and buried, but seeds from them were taken and grown to see what effect the radiation had on them. When I visited in 1990, scientists at the Chernobyl Research Centre showed me the result: saplings, many with bizarre mutations, some with needles growing backwards. Scientists estimated the contaminated area would not be safe for 24,000 years, give or take a thousand.

Today, tourists can visit around the area, but only with a permit and with official tour guides who have Geiger counters and know where to go. There are still many radioactive ‘hot-spots’ and no go areas.

It is possible the Russian troops did not know of the danger. On the day after the disaster, it was the sixth item on the Soviet news and locals were kept in the dark as radiation rained down on them. In 2019, when the Chernobyl mini-series was broadcast, Vladimir Putin dismissed it as American misinformation and said Russia would make its own “version” of the tragedy blaming the CIA.

Guardian

24 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

French intelligence chief fired

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60938538

Looks like he was fired for piss poor intelligence on what the US, UK and Aussies were up to with the submarine contract rather than correctly saying that it would be irrational for Russia to invade Ukraine.

Article about the Ukrainian railways, which is amazing. You can still get trains in and out of Kharkiv and Odessa.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/31/the-people-who-keep-the-refugee-trains-running-out-of-ukraine-photo-essay

Edited by ICTChris

On 28/03/2022 at 01:19, saint dave said:

It's against British law for a British citizen to fight in a war against a country we are " at peace " with , we aren't at war with Russia ( yet ) which makes it illegal.*

Think it's The Enlistment act of 1870/80 , hasn't been repealed. 

Worth pointing out there is a whole ream of legislation which hasnt been repealed including blasphemy legislation and i’ll punch jesus in the face before i believe the pf will prosecute me for saying it. 

18 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Worth pointing out there is a whole ream of legislation which hasnt been repealed including blasphemy legislation and i’ll punch jesus in the face before i believe the pf will prosecute me for saying it. 

Still legal to shoot a Scotsman in York.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Article about the Ukrainian railways, which is amazing. You can still get trains in and out of Kharkiv and Odessa.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/31/the-people-who-keep-the-refugee-trains-running-out-of-ukraine-photo-essay

Scotrail would do similar provided there wasn't any leaves on the line and the wind was gusting below 15 mph ;)

Scotrail would do similar provided there wasn't any leaves on the line and the wind was gusting below 15 mph [emoji6]
And there were enough fighting age males available to march up and down the train team handed making sure everyone had a bit of cloth over their mouth.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Pretty sure there was a documentary on about it the other night but I can't find it now.

Just now, Bairnardo said:
2 minutes ago, 101 said:
Scotrail would do similar provided there wasn't any leaves on the line and the wind was gusting below 15 mph emoji6.png

And there were enough fighting age males available to march up and down the train team handed making sure everyone had a bit of cloth over their mouth.

I think they have stopped that, although the last few times the conductor has been unable to sell or check tickets. So has spent the journey in the cab.

Although no doubt the polis will be called if you crack open a can of the good stuff.

11 hours ago, 101 said:

I think they have stopped that, although the last few times the conductor has been unable to sell or check tickets. So has spent the journey in the cab.

They definitely haven't, as of last week and the no fewer than three wasters bumbling up and down carriages as a team to do so.

11 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Russia are claiming two Ukrainian helicopters attacked and destroyed an oil refinery in Belgorod, just across the border from Kharkiv.

alleged video of the attack

Do the Russians think it's out of order that Ukraine can hit them back on their own turf? Or does this give Russia an excuse to go full tonto and nuke 'em for putting the homeland under threat?