Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

That's exactly what's going on I think. Look at the recent UN vote - the countries that abstained were mainly in Africa and Asia. That's where the Russian propaganda effort is aimed because it might get results. 

Why won't these countries we colonised and continue to rob blind through unfair trade take our side?

I just can't put my finger on it. 

3 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

The Russian Federation supplies arms, equipment and materiel to several countries in those areas, so it's likely a concerted effort.

The scoundrels! That’s our job

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Do you think that there might be a particular historical experience which would lead to Africans and Indians having a different outlook on international relations than the average Murdoch/BBC brain Brit?

Cutting our soft power activities (aka aid) has probably exacerbated this as far as the UK is concerned 

4 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Something I've noticed on Twitter in the last month is that the pro-russian bots/trolls/useful idiots are almost exclusively Indian or African. I wonder if their propaganda isn't really aimed at Europe at all, but more towards countries who aren't naturally hostile towards Russia.

This is a really common theme on any given controversial issue. Check out any Facebooks posts about say Mason Greenwood and the comments are absolutely full of folk from the likes of Kenya, Nigeria etc proclaiming his innocence and it all being a set up. There are literally thousands of these accounts. All very bizarre. 

I fucking hate being stuck on a train opposite someone who ignores the signal that you're reading a book might mean you're not that interested in how their grandchildren are doing.

Edited by welshbairn

That's why I'm all for separate carriages exclusively for the use of specific individuals. So 'quiet' carriages on all trains etc.

Women who want 'women only' carriages to protect them from perverts seem to be missing a trick. An open-season carriage for both gropers, and folk happy to be touched up, would surely satisfy two entire groups and not just one. Actually, three entire groups, if you work on the assumption that the no-righters would all be in that carriage and women who don't want touched-up would have full use of the remainder of the train. They could even rebrand them as 'Salmond' carriages like the old "Pullman" cars.

Edited by Boo Khaki

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

That's why I'm all for separate carriages exclusively for the use of specific individuals. So 'quiet' carriages on all trains etc.

Women who want 'women only' carriages to protect them from perverts seem to be missing a trick. An open-season carriage for both gropers, and folk happy to be touched up, would surely satisfy two entire groups and not just one.

See the source image

Azov Battalion have said that Russian forces have dropped a substance on their soldiers in Mariupol that is causing breathing difficulties.

Like most things in Mariupol it’s very hard to confirm or verify. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Whatever people think about the Azov battalion it's pretty incredible there's any of them left, in probably the most strategically significant town in Ukraine for the Russians.

Feeling you probably have no option but to fight to the death is quite motivating I'd imagine

5 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

Feeling you probably have no option but to fight to the death is quite motivating I'd imagine

I don't imagine waving a white flag would count for much but making a quiet tactical retreat might have been an option. Hard to know what's going on there.

Was wondering about how Mr Putin might be thinking right now, and remember him bragging about getting Crimea without killing a single soul. 

People unacquainted with Nietzsche’s writings may be inclined to interpret the idea of the will to power rather crudely. But Nietzsche is not thinking only or even primarily of the motivations behind people like Napoleon or Hitler who expressly seek military and political power. In fact, he typically applies the theory quite subtly.

For instance, Aphorism 13 of "The Gay Science" is entitled “The Theory of the Sense of Power.” Here Nietzsche argues that we exercise power over other people both by benefiting them and by hurting them. When we hurt them we make them feel our power in a crude way—and also a dangerous way, since they may seek to revenge themselves. Making someone indebted to us is usually a preferable way to feel a sense of our power; we also thereby extend our power, since those we benefit see the advantage of being on our side. Nietzsche, in fact, argues that causing pain is generally less pleasant than showing kindness and even suggests that cruelty, because it is the inferior option, is a sign that one lacks power.

https://www.thoughtco.com/nietzsches-concept-of-the-will-to-power-2670658#:~:text=The “will to power” is,be channeled toward different ends.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I don't imagine waving a white flag would count for much but making a quiet tactical retreat might have been an option. Hard to know what's going on there.

Retreat to where? They’re completely surrounded. As someone said, they’re cut off by the Russians who’re close to their own supply lines and border. Anyone left in Mariupol is going to get obliterated. 

18 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

That's exactly what's going on I think. Look at the recent UN vote - the countries that abstained were mainly in Africa and Asia. That's where the Russian propaganda effort is aimed because it might get results. 

Not sure if it gets results. However, Russia is a big trading nation with many of the countries which abstained. Thailand for example, run by a military government, will not try to upset Putin.  As for the people, they can't point out there own country on a world map, never mind Ukraine.