Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Just now, Florentine_Pogen said:

Did Private Eye not postulate a few years back that Putin had personally accrued, with the help of his oligarch paymasters, something like $40bn and most of it stashed in Suisse ?

Probably. All I know is that the AML requirements were bumped up substantially about a decade back, and the secrecy laws became all but non existent when the Americans decided they wanted to look under the bonnet, so to speak.

There are still issues, but Swiss banks are now only really used by people too fucking stupid to not know where they really should be laundering and hiding their cash.

The main selling point of the Swiss system is CHF, and the perceived safe haven it offers. There is undoubtedly a lot of dodgy money there, but these days by the time it reaches Switzerland it has already been washed several times over.

1 minute ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Did Private Eye not postulate a few years back that Putin had personally accrued, with the help of his oligarch paymasters, something like $40bn and most of it stashed in Suisse ?

Mind when they found that billion pound home hidden away 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56007943.amp

3 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Probably. All I know is that the AML requirements were bumped up substantially about a decade back, and the secrecy laws became all but non existent when the Americans decided they wanted to look under the bonnet, so to speak.

There are still issues, but Swiss banks are now only really used by people too fucking stupid to not know where they really should be laundering and hiding their cash.

The main selling point of the Swiss system is CHF, and the perceived safe haven it offers. There is undoubtedly a lot of dodgy money there, but these days by the time it reaches Switzerland it has already been washed several times over.

That's one of them new memory mattresses.

2 hours ago, Lex said:

If nothing happens after he marches into Ukraine - which It won’t - then certainly nothing will happen if he goes into Moldova. Then Uzbekistan, Kyrgystan, Kazakhstan etc. The old non NATO Soviet Union is his oyster.

Russia already regards all of Turkestan as the "near abroad" and within their sphere of influence.

With the possible exception of Kyrgyzstan, it is mostly run by corrupt former Communist leaders who were brought up on the Soviet way of doing things.

Russia also regards Ukraine as the "near abroad" and wants to stop Ukraine being otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

If he's that power mad, why doesn't he just get a NED position or two in a couple of FTSE 100 companies (like the rest of his corrupt psychopathic peers) in order to quench his lust for power and yet more money as opposed to obliterating the World ??

I'm sure Tony could sort him out with a few guest speaker gigs and hosting a few seminars of the Elite....

27 minutes ago, Ross. said:

80bn is small fry. Money laundering is a trillion dollars a year industry. A decade or two back Switzerland would have been involved in a significant portion of it. Nowadays it is perhaps a couple of % at most. And the secrecy laws are now over rated. Believe me. I spend a significant amount of time every month disclosing underlying  beneficial owner details to foreign authorities on a huge number of assets.

Well, you would say that, wouldn't you.

2 minutes ago, Ken Fitlike said:

I vaguely something on the radio this morning about Ayr strikes

I knew this would happen, we win 2 games in a row and start to look semi decent and the world caves in on us.

In fairness, I did fear the writing was on the wall when Sean McGinty scored at the right end AND made the "team of the week"  !!!!

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I knew this would happen, we win 2 games in a row and start to look semi decent and the world caves in on us.

In fairness, I did fear the writing was on the wall when Sean McGinty scored at the right end AND made the "team of the week"  !!!!

The world has gone mad!