Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

8 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

The fragile status of humanity was held together by a blood pact lasting 114 years.

Hibs winning the Scottish Cup in 2016 has set off a quite cataclysmic chain of events that threaten our very existence.

Are you suggesting Alan Stubbs be sent to Moscow?

7 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

The fragile status of humanity was held together by a blood pact lasting 114 years.

Hibs winning the Scottish Cup in 2016 has set off a quite cataclysmic chain of events that threaten our very existence.

Not quite correct. The 'End of the World As We Know It' commenced with Big George stating that 'The Big Hoose Must Stay Open' and then Shooders encapsulating this musically with 'We Don't Do Walking Away'.

A humanitarian tragedy worthy of Shakespeare.

Just now, D TOTAL said:

Do you reckon it’s like putin says and he only wants the 2 possible Russian regions of Ukraine then he stops, or do you reckon he’ll keep going even after taking them?

I think they will take the full Black Sea coast plus the East of the country and set up a new state a la Kosovo.

1 minute ago, D TOTAL said:

Do you reckon it’s like putin says and he only wants the 2 possible Russian regions of Ukraine then he stops, or do you reckon he’ll keep going even after taking them?

I suspect that's the ultimate goal (that and some treaty that neutralizes and disarms Ukraine) but he may need to invade the whole country for a while to achieve it.

That now 'Churchillian leader' and definitely not bumbling oaf Boris Johnson referencing Chamberlain's line at the Munich conference by declaring Ukraine is not a far away country about which we know little.

You wot m8. Prague is half the distance from London than Kiev and its government had a formal military alliance with the French! 

Watching some RT to see what they’re saying 

it’s laughable bad the propaganda 

“Some people are saying there is panic is Kiev, but it looks pretty calm here”

Theh showed a picture of a Russian soldier provided medical aid to a Ukrainian 

Oh aye and they don’t call eastern Ukraine, Ukraine anymore. It’s the peoples republic of Donetsk 

The people putting up the most resistance are Nazi apparently 

3 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Are these Chernobyl reports true or just rumours at the moment? That's a mass disaster waiting to happen if anything goes untoward there.

I doubt it's a huge deal. The Russians likely marched through because there wasn't going to be any opposing troops there, and it was on the way to Kyiv. Neither side likely wants to fight over the power plant, and it's probably quite well protected against anything that isn't a direct bomb hit, what with it having been well slathered in concrete.

I remember reading an article a while back where it was suggested that Putin was ill and wanted to create a legacy for Russia, before he croaked it. Could this be his legacy creating moment, which he hopes will lead to him being remembered like a Stalin or Lenin type figure.

10 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Realistically, there is f**k all practical that anyone can do about this - unless they want a war against one of the top military forces in the world. And no one wants that.

I disagree.  I think the West could impose real sanctions on Putin and the oligarchs who support him but there are too many vested interests for that too happen.

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The Ukraine forces are going to be crushed if they engage fully with Russia.

And they'll take countless civilians with them.

They'll also have no infrastructure left after the Russians have finished bombing them.

They need to play a longer game here.

Let the Russians take what they are going to take anyway and then make themselves impossible to govern.

This of course requires egos to be swallowed and cocks to remain sheathed - a concept alien to a lot of men who believe having a "square go" is the only acceptable way to respond to violent threats.

Bollocks. Dig trenches, climb out them and walk very slowly toward the enemy is how you win a war.

9 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I've got a horrible feeling that Moldova is go to also get gobbled up, not that anyone in Western Power gives much of the shit

Yes comrade evil West do not give the shit! Niet!

2 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

Putin said the forces were not there to occupy the region.  For what that's worth.

They also went into Georgia, did what the wanted, ie carve off Abkhazia, and then left.

But who knows?  Personally I didn't ever think things would go this far.

There are more than 2 'Russian' regions I believe.  I don't think Russia could occupy western Ukraine long term without a lot of difficulty but the eastern end might go all Crimea-y.