Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Just because a plane Putin uses sometimes was spotted flying west doesn't mean he was on it, same as Lukashenko's and his family supposedly skedaddling to Turkey. Safest place for him is in the Kremlin. 

Disagree. The military and the FSB jointly control Moscow, and then would control Putin if they changed sides. On his plane it’s his handpicked guards only. Take the plane to a retreat with a runway…expect that a loyalist in the military or FSB will get you word if they roll over and are moving to grab you, and be ready to bolt.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Presumably he would be doing deals before setting foot in any other country. The question is, what would he have to offer.....

Not much, other than calling in a few favours.    Places lke Saudi seem to welcome deposed dictators and the like. 

I did wonder if Lukashenko stopping his plane at Moscow was to offer Putin a lift.

I guess he must have refused.  

"Whaaaaat ?  Spend the rest of my life in some desert shithole, drinking from a dried up wadi,

not a drop of vodka in sight. No fanks....".

There's always his chum Assad in Syria, I suppose..?

12 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Disagree. The military and the FSB jointly control Moscow, and then would control Putin if they changed sides. On his plane it’s his handpicked guards only. Take the plane to a retreat with a runway…expect that a loyalist in the military or FSB will get you word if they roll over and are moving to grab you, and be ready to bolt.

That always goes badly, remember Ceaușescu? Anyway, him and Prigozhin are old pals from their Petersburg days, carving up the protection money and smuggling rackets. Worst that could happen he retires to one of his stately homes, where else could he go?

Edited by welshbairn

IMG_0210.thumb.jpeg.a0317f007ad70d430dc722ac4b222cea.jpegIronically the last chapter so far in my holiday read out here on the west coast was this author travelling from Moscow to Rostov-on-Don.

Switch on the media and P&B for first time in a couple of days and now I’m following the journey in reverse.

8 minutes ago, TxRover said:

It's a tough decision. Hide out in a bunker, and you look cowardly, the enemy can claim you've abidicated and they're the legit rulers, and there's a chance the coup plotters just sever your communications with your loyalists and you're helpless.

Stay put, and you're within grabbing range of whatever military unit has defected to the other side.

There's no right answer - or at least, you don't find out the right answer until you pick the wrong one.

2 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Reports that Lukashenko claims to have persuaded Wagner to stand down, but we'll have to hear from the Wagner group first before believing it.

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Prigozhin has already stated that these talks didn't end well.