Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

2 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Britain must train citizen army, military chief warns - BBC News

@Sergeant Wilson will be dusting down his Hugo Boss outfit for this.

Lol Dads army stuff right enough. Argentina / Houthis is more our level.

I can't honestly see a scenario whereby NATO would be entering into a ground war with Russia.

Extreme provocation ie an attack on a NATO member would surely be met with a backlash for the aggressors but very difficult to see how that escalates to a European ground war. Tin foil hat stuff.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Lol Dads army stuff right enough. Argentina / Houthis is more our level.

I can't honestly see a scenario whereby NATO would be entering into a ground war with Russia.

Extreme provocation ie an attack on a NATO member would surely be met with a backlash for the aggressors but very difficult to see how that escalates to a European ground war. Tin foil hat stuff.

Agreed. The world seems really close to some massive destabilisation but it hardly seems likely that the hitherto utterly incompetent Russians are going to be marching through Europe then landing on our shores. 

There was a NATO guy last week rabbiting on about how we need to wake up re our living standards and how we can't expect peace for the next twenty years/should start thinking about storing water and biscuits etc 🤷‍♂️

It just seems to be an uncomfortably common narrative atm

Army generals who took a mercenary's wage to fight nobody in their life, trying to feather their nest for the next generation by building up the contracts for their inevitable directorship at BAE or similar war-profiteers.

Never mind a land war with Russia, how about we go nuclear baby.

20240124_172059.thumb.jpg.7e823e684a03a1c4e7be352f96699592.jpg

Of course I already know what I'll be doing in the event of a nuclear attack. I'll be getting immediately incinerated or waiting a few days before dying of radiation poisoning.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Agreed. The world seems really close to some massive destabilisation but it hardly seems likely that the hitherto utterly incompetent Russians are going to be marching through Europe then landing on our shores. 

There was a NATO guy last week rabbiting on about how we need to wake up re our living standards and how we can't expect peace for the next twenty years/should start thinking about storing water and biscuits etc 🤷‍♂️

It just seems to be an uncomfortably common narrative atm

He (The NATO chap) is watching too much GBnews. If we can't keep Jonny Foreigner out we will damn well go and spank him over there.

57 minutes ago, D Angelo Barksdale said:

Never mind a land war with Russia, how about we go nuclear baby.

20240124_172059.thumb.jpg.7e823e684a03a1c4e7be352f96699592.jpg

Of course I already know what I'll be doing in the event of a nuclear attack. I'll be getting immediately incinerated or waiting a few days before dying of radiation poisoning.

There's an excellent short story by a Japanese woman about her surviving one of the nuclear blasts. I'd have it as required reading in schools. It's in The Penguin Book of Japanese Short Stories, which is fantastic throughout, should anyone be interested.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Initially the Ukrainians said that the flight was carrying S-300 missiles but the Russians have very quickly insisted that the transit was carrying Ukrainian POWs. Ukraine says they didn’t receive any information advising of the transit to be used for the prisoners, which is the usual for the prisoner swaps. 

Perhaps that's a good way of accounting for people who've been acknowledged as being POWs but have been subsequently brutalised&murdered

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Initially the Ukrainians said that the flight was carrying S-300 missiles but the Russians have very quickly insisted that the transit was carrying Ukrainian POWs. Ukraine says they didn’t receive any information advising of the transit to be used for the prisoners, which is the usual for the prisoner swaps. 

2 hours ago, highlandmac said:

Perhaps that's a good way of accounting for people who've been acknowledged as being POWs but have been subsequently brutalised&murdered

Seen a few reports that the flight was heading east from Beogrod (i.e. the opposite direction to Ukraine) and that it had not long arrived from Iran. Some other reports that the list of supposed POWs on board included some that had already been exchanged, and that the numbers stated (only 3 guards for about 50 prisoners) seems on the low side. All that seems to suggest missiles or something going to Iran to pay for missiles previously bought?

8 hours ago, thistledo said:

Don't really understand this suggestion of untrained / semi-trained boots on the ground approach being mentioned. Get a bunch of weans to pilot cheap drones with bombs, far better off that way. 

That doesn't sell shares in the military-industrial parasite outfit, at which soon to be retiring army generals will sit on the director's board.

Lots of reports that the Commander in Chief of the Ukrainian armed forces, Valery Zaluzhny, has been dismissed.  This is something that's been rumoured for a while.  Varying reports of who will replace him, some places say Oleksandr Syrskyi, who is the commander of ground forces, others have suggested Kyrylo Budanov, who is currently the commander of military intelligence.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Lots of reports that the Commander in Chief of the Ukrainian armed forces, Valery Zaluzhny, has been dismissed.  This is something that's been rumoured for a while.  Varying reports of who will replace him, some places say Oleksandr Syrskyi, who is the commander of ground forces, others have suggested Kyrylo Budanov, who is currently the commander of military intelligence.

John Hughes?

Zaluzhny remains in post but it seems like Zelensky wants to replace him.  Story will continue I guess.

The EU passed a €50bn support package for Ukraine, to be included in the EU budget.  Previously Hungarian PM Viktor Orban had vetoed the package but has now agreed.  The package is in place for four years.

Ukrainian military intelligence posted pretty astonishing footage of the sinking of a Russian corvette in the Black Sea.

• 2 weeks later...

For the past 18 months, Fedorov and his deputies have brought that message to tech CEOs, defense conferences, and business summits. The former digital-marketing entrepreneur, who is the youngest member of Zelensky’s cabinet, has framed the battlefields of Ukraine and its modern wartime society as the best possible testing ground for cutting-edge innovation. “The tech sector will be the main engine of our future growth,” Fedorov told me...Israel, a hotbed for tech startups, was a model.

Fedorov states he wants Ukraine to emulate Israel. I hope Ukrainians get to vote on his vision at some point soon. Many won't want the perpetual security threat (or at least the perception of a perpetual security threat) that's needed to build a national economy around military and security tech. It could mean an economic incentive to keep things a certain way with Russia. 

“Ukraine is a living laboratory in which some of these AI-enabled systems can reach maturity through live experiments and constant, quick reiteration,” says Jorritt Kaminga, the director of global policy at RAIN, a research firm that specializes in defense AI. Yet much of the new power will reside in the hands of private companies, not governments accountable to their people.

A more general point there about the increasing privatisation of warfare.

Edited by Freedom Farter

Valuzhny was replaced last week by Syrski, who today said that the armed forces of Ukraine are essentially moving to a defensive posture across the entire front. There is particular pressure in Avdiivka, where Russia has been pushing for months, taking massive losses (hundreds of verified vehicles and pieces of equipment destroyed). Russian forces have made gains there in recent days and a withdrawal by Ukraine seems likely. 

A lot of the pressure on Ukraine comes from shell hunger which can partly be explained by the bill currently being held up in the USA. A bill for additional funding was passed by the US Senate this week but seems unlikely to pass the House of Representatives any time soon.

In other news, Ukrainian naval drones sank another Russian warship the Cesar Kunkiov in the Black Sea this morning. Video below.

Edited by ICTChris