2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

Wee-Bey

Back to whether to number all the candidates or just the ones you want, I'm going for the latter I think. I don't want to give any encouragement to the psycho candidates thinking that at least I like them better than the Tory or vice versa.

They've tried that line at a few elections, and it doesn't usually seem to have the effect they'd hoped for.

Anyway, good to know that an unlikely SNP majority at Clackmannanshire Council will result in our independence. I'll start drawing up the plans to invade Bridge of Allan.

Yeah, it's quite amusing that no matter whether it's a local, European, or national election, they just keep beating the single-issue drum that never nets them more than 20-25% of the vote and never will. They're essentially spending all that time, money, and effort on a campaign for an election that they are making no actual attempt whatsoever to win. Bizarre.

24 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Yeah, it's quite amusing that no matter whether it's a local, European, or national election, they just keep beating the single-issue drum that never nets them more than 20-25% of the vote and never will. They're essentially spending all that time, money, and effort on a campaign for an election that they are making no actual attempt whatsoever to win. Bizarre.

I've just had the election bumph in from the SNP. Doesn't mention independence, but briefly outlines what the council say they've achieved, and what they're planning to do in the future.

You can argue with some of the stuff they're laying out, but it's such an open goal for them. No need to mention independence, as the Tories will do that for them, and I haven't seen anything from the other parties questioning their record in local government so far. The average person who knows nothing about what's going on in politics will look at that and think, "well, these guys are actually talking about what they've done and will do, so maybe I should give them a go".

19 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I wonder if a vote for the Tories in local government elections is a proxy vote for anything? 

Any suggestions? 

Being a c**t.

Edited by Granny Danger

Labour leaflet finally arrived. Lots of stuff about how Labour has a plan to give us a grand. Windfall tax, energy rebate made into a grant not a loan, that sort of thing. Quite how someone in Fife House in Glenrothes is going to force Shell to pay a windfall tax is surprisingly missing from the leaflet. Candidate in our area is Cara Hilton, who was an MSP for 3 years a few years back. Seems a bit of a backwards step but if she's a career politician then maybe it's all she knows.

My ward has a disappointing lack of mental candidates and/or AlbaDas. 

1. One of the SNP candidates

2. Green

3-6 Who Cares

7. "Independent" (he's a massive fucking Tory)

8. Identikit local Tory farmer c**t 

Looks like the fun is in the Arbroath and Carnoustie wards where Alba have 3 or 4 genital inspectors standing. It would be a total shame if they couldn't improve on *snigger* 1.66%. 

4 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Labour leaflet finally arrived. Lots of stuff about how Labour has a plan to give us a grand. Windfall tax, energy rebate made into a grant not a loan, that sort of thing. Quite how someone in Fife House in Glenrothes is going to force Shell to pay a windfall tax is surprisingly missing from the leaflet. Candidate in our area is Cara Hilton, who was an MSP for 3 years a few years back. Seems a bit of a backwards step but if she's a career politician then maybe it's all she knows.

Threaten 'em with Cowdenbeath season tickets. That'll do it. 

The words ‘congestion charge’ are a red rag to a bull in Edinburgh, but I actually don’t hate this SNP proposal.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/20073414.snp-pledges-charge-commuters-enter-edinburgh-wide-congestion-zone-cut-traffic/

Nobody paying Edinburgh council tax needs to worry about it, it only applies to commuters at peak hours. The workplace parking levy also seems to only be aimed at big offices, which is clearly an improvement on previous proposals to be charging £500 a year to park in an industrial estate in Sighthill.

There’s no doubt too much traffic enters Edinburgh during the working week, and given the amount of housing currently being built near major bottlenecks like Barnton/Maybury/Gogar it’s probably at this stage necessary.

Can’t see it going down well though, given the 2005 referendum.

5 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

If this is the ludicrously oversized one that folded out into a poster, I got it too. Most of the claims/demands on it seemed to be things completely outwith the remit of council level politics.

7 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

If this is the ludicrously oversized one that folded out into a poster, I got it too. Most of the claims/demands on it seemed to be things completely outwith the remit of council level politics.

Yeah, same up here with no local content. Haven't heard a squeak from our "local" Labour candidate who was living in Skye last thing I heard. Sounds decent though, so I might put him quite high up in the list. Got my postal vote through yesterday and have heard nothing from 6 of the 9 candidates, not counting the glossy Labour thing.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

The words ‘congestion charge’ are a red rag to a bull in Edinburgh, but I actually don’t hate this SNP proposal.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/20073414.snp-pledges-charge-commuters-enter-edinburgh-wide-congestion-zone-cut-traffic/

Nobody paying Edinburgh council tax needs to worry about it, it only applies to commuters at peak hours. The workplace parking levy also seems to only be aimed at big offices, which is clearly an improvement on previous proposals to be charging £500 a year to park in an industrial estate in Sighthill.

There’s no doubt too much traffic enters Edinburgh during the working week, and given the amount of housing currently being built near major bottlenecks like Barnton/Maybury/Gogar it’s probably at this stage necessary.

Can’t see it going down well though, given the 2005 referendum.

Yip. Edinburgh city centre desperately needs some sort of legislation to reduce car traffic, but there's no way any sort of public plebiscite would get enough support because people are enormously selfish when it comes to private car use. Time for the grown-ups to take charge and do something about it, because the public will moan endlessly about congestion and yet reject every single proposal that might mean they personally may have to reduce their own car usage.