2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

Candidates are now beginning to be announced and campaign literature is starting to be dropped for what is, the Seaside Leagues of elections.

1,219 seats in the 32 Scottish Council areas are up for grabs.

Results last time were...

SNP 431 seats + 32.30% vote share

Conservatives 276 + 25.30%

Labour 262 + 20.16%

Independents 168 + 10.4%

Liberal Democrats 67 + 6.82%

Greens 19 + 4.1%

Turnout 46.9%

Are you voting ?

Who are you voting for ?

Will Covid and the response have an effect on turnout or results ?

Any oddballs standing in your ward ?

Any P&Ber's standing for election ?

Pulling out of my arse from nothing; low turnout, small drop in the pro-Indy share of the vote, followed by desperate banner headlines and op-eds about the independence movement being dead. Several P&Bers to rediscover their login details in celebration, only to slink away again when subsequent polling indicates that tick-tock, tick-tock...

Meanwhile, absolutely nobody to give a f**k about local issues when casting their votes, as per.

3 hours ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

Are you voting ?

Who are you voting for ?

Any oddballs standing in your ward ?

Yes. I'm planning to vote in my first ever council elections.

Probably Greens 1st.

Some Tory boy who takes selfies of himself and dogshit. Strong opening to the leafleting campaign.

Probably the high water mark for the Tories /Ruth's no to Inyref 2 campaign.

Expect to see the SNP back up into the 40s. Probably not increasing the vote by any great extent but the vote share as the Tories won't come out in anything like the numbers they did before.

Labour's clown car collective will probably still struggle to finish second.

I'll be voting SNP as I don't want a Tory Council in Perthshire and nothing that happened in the last 2 years has made me think that I might.

One of my ward's Councillor's is Braden fuckin' Davy, who thankfully has disappeared into the ether after a thorough rinsing in his laughable attempt to get elected to Holyrood. Prior to that campaign the c**t would have turned up the opening of an envelope, now nowhere to be seen in nearly a year 😂

I believe he's standing down. Other reps were a Tory Independent in his late 70s, an Independent who's name I can never remember and a decent SNP Councillor. f**k knows what clown car collective we'll get this time.

Trouble with local elections is that you're meant to be electing a council that won't utterly f**k up running a local area (Hiya Edinburgh and Aberdeen, Hiya pals) but the local elections get mixed in with national politics.

I was almost tempted to start an Edinburgh Party to enact policies solely to benefit the Capital's citizens as I'm not sure any of the major parties can offer this. Maybe next time...

...and then I will annex some of the richer parts of East Lothian, Putin style, to Greater Edinburgh.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Trouble with local elections is that you're meant to be electing a council that won't utterly f**k up running a local area (Hiya Edinburgh and Aberdeen, Hiya pals) but the local elections get mixed in with national politics.

I was almost tempted to start an Edinburgh Party to enact policies solely to benefit the Capital's citizens as I'm not sure any of the major parties can offer this. Maybe next time...

...and then I will annex some of the richer parts of East Lothian, Putin style, to Greater Edinburgh.

I ignore national politics for local elections and vote for whoever is already involved locally and trying to get things done in a direction I go along with. Obvious careerist wankers from any party can gtf. I've got a huge admiration for people who volunteer and campaign for good causes as I'm far too lazy to even think about it.

Will vote for any party that overturns the fucking ludicrous brown bin tax.

We’ve a couple of decent SNP councillors local to me, but the 2 Lib Dem’s are still eyeing up holyrood and have mastered standing in front of the high school looking sad and bemoaning litter.

Tories to lose P&K council then spend the next 4 years blaming everything on anyone but them.

I'll be voting snp.Basically when we bought our house we had to get some planning permission for work that needed done before we moved in and the boy that helped was excellent and sorted it in about 20 mins so he gets my vote 

First election I've gone into that I don't know who or what order I'd vote. SNP only continue to dishearten me having had my vote for years. Our local SNP councilor doesn't bother her arse responding to e-mails so I can't be arsed voting for her. The local Labour guy is very active and has responded to me when I tried him as the second port of call a couple of times. But, that would mean voting Labour as #1. Not sure who else will stand here probably the usual list of jobbers. 

We do have an oddball who is embroiled in a hate mail campaign about the Labour guy over the fact he claims the Labour guy used his position to engineer his daughter to the front of the council house list. So periodically we get leaflets through the door with pretty personal abuse. The guy in question is currently banned from being a councilor. I have a feeling he will try run and campaign even if blocked, he also caused the council to piss thousands of pounds against the wall as they called a by-election for his seat before his appeal was heard. 

Paul Mack

As this is a local election, people have license to vote for good local candidates regardless of what party they represent. But still there are people who can't bring themselves to vote for certain candidates because of the party they represent. 

The example of @Hawk89 - you have a good local candidate but hesitate because he's Labour. There will be others who hesitate to vote for this or that person because of their party. The election leaflets don't help - got the Tory one in and it's all about Indyref 2. Who cares? This election isn't about independence. Or any other national topic. Just think about this - has your local council governed well? Are the councillors you have dealt with helped? This should be what matters. 

For me, the SNP are a shambles of a national government but my local SNP councillor has been active and helped a lot over recent years. I'd like that person to stay, so will vote for him.