2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

You mean the British government. 
Quite a telling slip though. 
Your ideas on how to achieve Independence are beyond idiotic and don't seem to have any rational or logical thinking behind them. 
For once, you and I are in complete agreement.

UDI is for the moonhowling roasters.

3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Scotland had 3 houses one from the church,one from the monarchy and one from the modern day COSLA, two of the 3 have no power now and don't represent the people, it's got nothing to do with a UDI M8.
Scots law has always been separate,devolution and referendum are political games not constitutional rights. 

And to prove my point . . .

Scotland had 3 houses one from the church,one from the monarchy and one from the modern day COSLA, two of the 3 have no power now and don't represent the people, it's got nothing to do with a UDI M8.
Scots law has always been separate,devolution and referendum are political games not constitutional rights. 

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

All the SNP MP's have to do is "no taxation without representation" Boston tea party style no pledge to Westminster when re-elected. 

Doesn't really make sense considering that they representation and not only that but some level of control over taxation in Scotland. 1776 wouldn't have happened with that deal. Basically what they wanted was their own parliament and government but still as the King's subjects.

19 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Doesn't really make sense considering that they representation and not only that but some level of control over taxation in Scotland. 1776 wouldn't have happened with that deal. Basically what they wanted was their own parliament and government but still as the King's subjects.

It would open the door of possibilities having 45 MP'S, 64 MSP's and 453 councilors with all the same main policy representing the people.
The Scotland act is amended to full fiscal powers by Scots law, the human rights act protects that and we move on.

9 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Hmm I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there. I think writing down what we are going to vote on so we know what happens next is quite important.

The white paper that was written less than 10 years ago is now obsolete,do you think it factored in what has happened in the last 10 years?
Writing something down to predict the future is a comfort blanket,why not write the reality?

47 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

45% certainly did in 2014.

Imagine if the yes movement had won, would we be in a worse scenario if not in a recession but heading there.
Energy and fuel cost at all time highs, coming out of a pandemic and a war that may cause food shortage and medicine we can't get.
Would you point the finger at independence?

20 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Imagine if the yes movement had won, would we be in a worse scenario if not in a recession but heading there.
Energy and fuel cost at all time highs, coming out of a pandemic and a war that may cause food shortage and medicine we can't get.
Would you point the finger at independence?

It's a good question mate, and I'm not sure of the answer.

My main reason for wanting to keep the Union is a sense of Britishness identity.  I have that because of history, a sense of nationhood and the culture I've been immersed in most of my life.  I see Brits as a people.

I'm also right wing and conservative, so prefer keeping traditions such as the Monarchy, religious institutions and different types of hierarchy in tact as opposed to scrapping them.

If we had independence, then I'm not sure how much different the cost of living crisis and pandemic would be.  It would partly depend on whether we had EU membership I suppose.

1 hour ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

It's a good question mate, and I'm not sure of the answer.

My main reason for wanting to keep the Union is a sense of Britishness identity.  I have that because of history, a sense of nationhood and the culture I've been immersed in most of my life.  I see Brits as a people.

I'm also right wing and conservative, so prefer keeping traditions such as the Monarchy, religious institutions and different types of hierarchy in tact as opposed to scrapping them.

If we had independence, then I'm not sure how much different the cost of living crisis and pandemic would be.  It would partly depend on whether we had EU membership I suppose.

I understand why Sturgeon said they would have talks with other parties for the local coalitions apart from the Tories but in reality that will not be true.
The global issues I mentioned no party could've stopped it happening but could've eased the pain and it's going to get worse before it gets better.
The EU membership thing is always been a problem for the Tories maybe the conflict of interests is the issue the same for Scotland and England different priorities.  
When you talk about history it was Cromwell that took the power away from the monarchy and gave it to parliament,the Britishness and hierarchy got misplaced by it's own subject.
Questioning Westminster and it's ability to rule Scotland is a dead weight going in a different direction M8.
The Monarchy and religious institutions have very little interest or influence on modern society plus they've got more than enough to deal with.  

7 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I understand why Sturgeon said they would have talks with other parties for the local coalitions apart from the Tories but in reality that will not be true.
The global issues I mentioned no party could've stopped it happening but could've eased the pain and it's going to get worse before it gets better.
The EU membership thing is always been a problem for the Tories maybe the conflict of interests is the issue the same for Scotland and England different priorities.  
When you talk about history it was Cromwell that took the power away from the monarchy and gave it to parliament,the Britishness and hierarchy got misplaced by it's own subject.
Questioning Westminster and it's ability to rule Scotland is a dead weight going in a different direction M8.
The Monarchy and religious institutions have very little interest or influence on modern society plus they've got more than enough to deal with.  

I'd argue that the most significant transfer of power from monarch to parliament was from William III - Prince of Orange.  The 'Divine Right of Kings' was banished and people were actually free.

People always go on about the decrease in religiosity, but I think it'll come back.  These sort of things go in cycles.

I'd probably class myself as a paleoconservative if I had to give my views a label.  Let's turn the clocks back and have a more wholesome society.