Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

errm Ofgem?  The price cap is based on wholesale prices so if they fall the price cap will fall (set by Ofgem).
Once the wholesale costs come below the price cap you'll also see competition being re-introduced as the providers try and entice customers away from other providers with new tariffs and things will go back to how they were just with fewer providers.
I wouldnt want to be hanging by the balls waiting for them tbh.

2 hours ago, Left Back said:

errm Ofgem?  The price cap is based on wholesale prices so if they fall the price cap will fall (set by Ofgem).

Once the wholesale costs come below the price cap you'll also see competition being re-introduced as the providers try and entice customers away from other providers with new tariffs and things will go back to how they were just with fewer providers.

I disagree.    What has happened is that 'the free market' has failed.  There will be more regulation, particularly in the area of ensuring that

new suppliers entering the business of supplying retail customers will have to have proveable substantial financial resources. That is, no longer will any Dick, Tom or Harriet be able to set up as a suppler with little more than a laptop, and some purchased software.

The few providers left, ie the big ones, will function pretty much as an

unofficial cartel, and there will be rather little real  differences between them.

Just my opinion, of course.

Edited by beefybake

We have no choice because we have very little oil & gas storage facilities left.  Worst in Europe I believe.
No profit in storage. This was a concern raised during British Gas privatisation. Has got significantly worse since then.

24 minutes ago, jakedee said:
2 hours ago, Left Back said:
We have no choice because we have very little oil & gas storage facilities left.  Worst in Europe I believe.

No profit in storage. This was a concern raised during British Gas privatisation. Has got significantly worse since then.

There would have been a pretty healthy profit if somebody had stored a load of fuel a year ago. Was their not a massive fire at a storage depot a decade or so ago?

28 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There would have been a pretty healthy profit if somebody had stored a load of fuel a year ago. Was their not a massive fire at a storage depot a decade or so ago?

Buncefield blew up.  Think that was a refinery rather than a storage depot.

ETA.  IT was actually a depot.

Edited by Left Back

More than they're making now?
There is no incentive to store as the companies that sell it are also the companies that extract it. The middle man, eg bulb, octopus etc have never had the capacity to store oil/gas, and could never have made the investment.

3 hours ago, jakedee said:

the companies that sell it are also the companies that extract it.

Much of the time the 'company' is made up of legally separate companies dealing with the upstream and downstream sides of the business.  See the upstream side of Centrica breaking off to become Spirit Energy, for example.

Eta: pleasing from e.on giving me until 9th April to enter the reading that I had on 9th April 31st March.

image.png.39cd9d99c24d1fa8a082713b76503cca.png

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 minute ago, Ekhibee88 said:

As Scottish Power website is overloaded and app not working to submit meter readings, how can I submit with todays proof?

Take photos of your meters with todays datestamp on them.

As Scottish Power website is overloaded and app not working to submit meter readings, how can I submit with todays proof?

Take a picture seems to be the advice 

2 minutes ago, Ekhibee88 said:

Take a photo which will date stamp it for you and submit the reading later. 

Edited by 101

Just now, bobbykdy said:

Take photos of your meters with todays datestamp on them.

Just now, 101 said:

Take a photo which will date stamp it for you and submit the reading later. 

Just now, doulikefish said:

Take a picture seems to be the advice 

How does that work though? I have only done the meter readings online, just worried if I email the picture of the readings it goes to a customer service email that will go unactioned.

Just now, Ekhibee88 said:

How does that work though? I have only done the meter readings online, just worried if I email the picture of the readings it goes to a customer service email that will go unactioned.

With Octopus they also allow you to enter the date you took the reading as it isn't always the same as the date the reading was sent in, your supplier may well be the same.

Proof if they try to rip you off even more than they are ripping you off already

4 minutes ago, Ekhibee88 said:

If you have a picture you or the company will be able to see when it's taken so if the bill they give you for March usage if different to the meter you can get them telt