Scotland's worst

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

If by 'early morning shift worker' you mean 'full of pish-stained toothless alky bams at 6am', then yes. Leith has an abundance of them.

I know of the Marksman on Duke Street, not sure when it opens but it has several steaming people inside/outside when I walk past at 8am.

Where are the others?

47 minutes ago, Paxo said:

I know of the Marksman on Duke Street, not sure when it opens but it has several steaming people inside/outside when I walk past at 8am.

Where are the others?

Tam O'Shanter usually opens at 6am, Central and the Foot at 9, but I suspect only because they don't have a licence to sell before 9 otherwise they'd be doing so. Elsewhere, the Stratford in Gorgie Road is also open at 6am, though not in Leith obviously, and the Grapes up Newington I suspect still plies its trade from 6. Duke used to open at 6am but then it got taken over by hipsters and appears to now be some sort of ironic hipster dump, rather than just the honest dump it was beforehand. Not sure about the Scotsman Lounge any more, as I suspect that bit of town is probably subject to too much gentrification for the cooncil to permit early doors. Boundary hasn't had early opening since it changed to the Bierhoose, Joker & Thief used to be an early licence years ago but isn't any more, and I can't say for certain about the Spey Lounge because that place appears to be a law unto itself, rather like the clientele

Edited by Boo Khaki

9 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Tam O'Shanter usually opens at 6am, Central and the Foot at 9, but I suspect only because they don't have a licence to sell before 9 otherwise they'd be doing so. Elsewhere, the Stratford in Gorgie Road is also open at 6am, though not in Leith obviously, and the Grapes up Newington I suspect still plies its trade from 6. Duke used to open at 6am but then it got taken over by hipsters and appears to now be some sort of ironic hipster dump, rather than just the honest dump it was beforehand. Not sure about the Scotsman Lounge any more, as I suspect that bit of town is probably subject to too much gentrification for the cooncil to permit early doors. Boundary hasn't had early opening since it changed to the Bierhoose, Joker & Thief used to be an early licence years ago but isn't any more, and I can't say for certain about the Spey Lounge because that place appears to be a law unto itself, rather like the clientele

So two bars in Leith before 9am then? Not sure I would describe that as an 'abundance' but whatever floats your boat.

10 minutes ago, Paxo said:

So two bars in Leith before 9am then? Not sure I would describe that as an 'abundance' but whatever floats your boat.

I suspect the Spey is a 6am job but erratic, and I don't really go west of the foot of the walk but the Vine is early opening because I know someone who drinks in there at ungodly hours. 

Vine is 7am according to the net.

3 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I suspect the Spey is a 6am job but erratic, and I don't really go west of the foot of the walk but the Vine is early opening because I know someone who drinks in there at ungodly hours. 

Vine is 7am according to the net.

The Spey Lounge doesn't, and has never, opened before 9am as far as I know, but in any case, I think your definition of the word 'abundance' is different to mine.

11 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

There is/was a burger joint in Upper Newmarket St, Falkirk which was an old public toilet. Fast Freddys

There still is a cafe across from Stirling train station that used to be the mankiest public convenience in the Forth Valley.

The council recommended pubs be open a max of 16 hours a day which led to some places switching from 6am opening to 9am-1am.

I've been in The Grapes, Stratties and The Penny Black pre 7am in my younger days.

Here in Fife 10am seems to be the earliest places open as far as I've seen.

30 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The Keg in Inverness opens at 9am. I assume most of the regulars just live there, like Barney Gumble at Moe's Tavern 

I think Monty's behind the Gellions opens at 9 too.

On 14/03/2022 at 09:28, Ross. said:

Going back a while now, but the Tasty Spot on Alexander Street in Clydebank was utterly appalling in just about every respect possible. It was nicknamed "Nasty Spot" for very good reason.

Can't say I have found anywhere over here that has been terrible. Very few places I would say are excellent either. Mostly okay with a few reasonably good.

I recall this establishment, indeed horrendous. 

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The Keg in Inverness opens at 9am. I assume most of the regulars just live there, like Barney Gumble at Moe's Tavern 

Actually had a curer early doors in there a few years ago, was alright actually. I was not alright, hence the curer. 

Is that shitty chippy across from Haymarket still there? Was awful, but always seemed to be open at any hour, was a few doors down from my gaff so somehow thought it was a good idea when pished. 

Number 1 kebab or whatever it was called on Morrison St. was definitely not the number one kebab either. 

For some reason I have a habit of revisiting crap takeaway places, The Taste of Punjab on Argyle St was awful yet I probably had many a kebab out there. Again, at the time, gaff proximity and alcohol was my downfall. 

On 17/03/2022 at 01:29, 'WellDel said:

Was in town a few weeks ago to meet mates and was a bit early (about 12.30pm). Since we were meeting at Central I decided to nip into the Toby for a quick pint. Can confirm there was definitely an eclectic mix of folk already enjoying copious amounts of the cheap Tuborg, and also the aforementioned buxom barmaid. She was however hard as f**k looking and definitely wid not, unless danger rides are your thing. 

Can only imagine what it gets like as the night wears on.

Mate of mines was sales manager at some call centre in town for years. He’d usually take his team in there on a Friday when they finished and stick a couple of ton behind the bar for them to rattle through with the cheap Tuborg. The lot of them were sniffing multiples of that at the same time. They were insufferable arseholes at the start of the night and on the very rare occasion I stayed longer than one drink, they just got worse and worse. I think the only reason they were allowed to remain in there was that he tended to tip the bar staff very well.

On 18/03/2022 at 11:35, RiG said:

Any Aberdeen based folk ever venture into the Neptune? I sometimes cycled past it to / from work and always looked an utter dive from the outside.

I think it's now closed due to the lack of proper industry to provide it's traditional clientele.  Perhaps simple economics has done for the Neptune the task that the Luftwaffe fail to complete in 1940. (see at about 3:40 in this period film). 

https://doriccolumns.wordpress.com/ww2-1939-45/black-friday-40/