Scotland's worst

The correct name of the pub is The Toby Juggs. So-called because their policy of employing at least one lassie with massive tits to work behind the bar. That may no longer be the case in these more enlightened times. 
Not last time I was in. The £1 Tuborg has attract a fairly diverse clientele for as long as I can remember

On a trip home a few years back my brother in law and I met in the  Toby Jug before heading to SLF. I cant remember why, closeness to his train probably.

It was St Pats Day and I walked in and asked the (not buxom that I remember) bartender for a Guinness and she replied, "Guinness on St Patricks very fuckin original". Not quite the have a nice day stuff I am used to here in U S and A but it did stick in my memory.

On 11/03/2022 at 20:56, alta-pete said:

My first solo inspection (near 30 years ago) as a Surveyor was a chip shop on Cross Arthurlie Street in Barrhead. Doing the job I, of course, had to get behind the counter and into the back shop food storage areas.

Genuinely, I have not had a fish supper since. 

I went on a food hygiene course through the council years ago. The woman running it showed us a bunch of photos from the back rooms of takeaways they'd had to take action against over the previous year, some of which had been shut down. Chilling stuff. The main thing that stuck with me was a (apparently unrefrigerated) tub of Korma sauce with a paintbrush dipped in, which had very obviously been used on the walls at some point.

On 13/03/2022 at 20:38, PWL said:

In a similar vein, I had a Saturday job in Woolworths. I've not touched Pick'n'mix in the 30+ years since having seen how customers behaved. You'd be amazed/disgusted at the number of folk who'd try then put back.....

Nobody who's been around humans for any length of time would be!

My favourite was an old woman with the cold who sneezed into her hands, then reached in to grab handfuls of several different types of sweets.

13 hours ago, Alex_14 said:

Pizza paradise in the middle of Edinburgh is a laugh. Only food place open past 3am as far as I know. Pissed up revellers sitting down for a meal at 5am is megalolz.

Last time I was in they stopped selling alcohol after hours but before you could sit down to a t-bone and a bevvy when all the pubs and clubs were shut, it was magic.

There used to be a Chinese take away in Drumchapel that was housed in a former public toilet. Right beside the linkwood bar which appeared to have been modelled on the Alamo (post battle).

Edited by killiekranky

In the summer, The Toby Jug "beer garden" is a fine place to sit and watch the world go by.

4 chairs facing out to hope street. Once watched a private school kid get berated by 2 neds because he had a briefcase like will from inbetweeners. God I need to go back soon.

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Not last time I was in. The £1 Tuborg has attract a fairly diverse clientele for as long as I can remember

Was in town a few weeks ago to meet mates and was a bit early (about 12.30pm). Since we were meeting at Central I decided to nip into the Toby for a quick pint. Can confirm there was definitely an eclectic mix of folk already enjoying copious amounts of the cheap Tuborg, and also the aforementioned buxom barmaid. She was however hard as f**k looking and definitely wid not, unless danger rides are your thing. 

Can only imagine what it gets like as the night wears on.

Edited by 'WellDel

18 hours ago, Alex_14 said:

Pizza paradise in the middle of Edinburgh is a laugh. Only food place open past 3am as far as I know. Pissed up revellers sitting down for a meal at 5am is megalolz.

They were allowed to sell booze till 5am up to the mid 2000's, which with the shiftworkers pubs allowed an all nighter. 

Not sure how they survived once that was stopped.

11 hours ago, killiekranky said:

There used to be a Chinese take away in Drumchapel that was housed in a former public toilet. Right beside the linkwood bar which appeared to have been modelled on the Alamo (post battle).

There is/was a burger joint in Upper Newmarket St, Falkirk which was an old public toilet. Fast Freddys

There is/was a burger joint in Upper Newmarket St, Falkirk which was an old public toilet. Fast Freddys
Did decent chips, and handy if you wanted a fight.

Now that I think of it though, Falkirks only post 03:00 eatery in my heyday was the Viking on Graham's Road and was truly fucking vile.

The place looked filthy and the food was disgusting even to someone in the appropriate 3 am condition, and trouble was all but guaranteed. I seen numerous fights down there, and once seen a lad sitting in the shop eating a baguette stop to spew all over the shop and himself, and not a single f**k given by the staff.

Hopefully some more Falkirk dwellers will be along to share their experiences

A now gone pub in Aberdeen (The Marshichal, where the original Brew Dog is now).

Actions witnessed by kitchen staff include when making up a batch of tuna mayo for tatties and sandwiches the spoon to mix it all was licked clean after the mixing, then stuck back in the bowl,

When carrying up stuff from fridge/freezer in cellar was not uncommon if hands were full for rolls (that were unwrapped/covered) to be shoved under armpits to be carried up stairs,

And that's before I get to the out of date pies....

12 hours ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

They were allowed to sell booze till 5am up to the mid 2000's, which with the shiftworkers pubs allowed an all nighter. 

Not sure how they survived once that was stopped.

Are there still early morning shift worker pubs in Edinburgh?

Did decent chips, and handy if you wanted a fight.

Now that I think of it though, Falkirks only post 03:00 eatery in my heyday was the Viking on Graham's Road and was truly fucking vile.

The place looked filthy and the food was disgusting even to someone in the appropriate 3 am condition, and trouble was all but guaranteed. I seen numerous fights down there, and once seen a lad sitting in the shop eating a baguette stop to spew all over the shop and himself, and not a single f**k given by the staff.

Hopefully some more Falkirk dwellers will be along to share their experiences
Can mind of popping into Fast Freddies for a bucket of chips, waiting on bus home from Brockville, with mates before we headed to get our bottle of thunderbird, pocket money well spent imo!
As for the Viking didn't matter how pished I was I never once ate out there, looked minging, but maybe I was bad one to judge considering I would have just blew my wages in the shithole that was the Martel.

7 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

A now gone pub in Aberdeen (The Marshichal, where the original Brew Dog is now).

Actions witnessed by kitchen staff include when making up a batch of tuna mayo for tatties and sandwiches the spoon to mix it all was licked clean after the mixing, then stuck back in the bowl,

When carrying up stuff from fridge/freezer in cellar was not uncommon if hands were full for rolls (that were unwrapped/covered) to be shoved under armpits to be carried up stairs,

And that's before I get to the out of date pies....

I had vague memories of that place and had to look it up. It's bigger than I remember. 

I had one or two pints in there but don't remember it being brilliant. Fortunately I never had the food although being a student perhaps I was used to eating shite back then.