Theatre

19 hours ago, The Naitch said:

Bloody morons giving us theatre goers a bad name...

I was reading in The Week that in the Elizebeathian era folk would regularly join in, shout out, throw stuff at the actors or get up on stage themselves.

The bodyguard isn't exactly some deep serious drama if folk want to sing then I say fair enough the theatre sound system should be enough to drown it out. The theatre should be done for wasting police time, imagine phoning the fuzz on folk having a good time.

7 minutes ago, 101 said:

I was reading in The Week that in the Elizebeathian era folk would regularly join in, shout out, throw stuff at the actors or get up on stage themselves.

The bodyguard isn't exactly some deep serious drama if folk want to sing then I say fair enough the theatre sound system should be enough to drown it out. The theatre should be done for wasting police time, imagine phoning the fuzz on folk having a good time.

Some shows still expect that. Rocky Horror and Forbidden Planet for example. The Bodyguard sounds shit. 

Not sure we want to be using the Elizabethans as role models for anything though. 

28 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Some shows still expect that. Rocky Horror and Forbidden Planet for example. The Bodyguard sounds shit. 

Not sure we want to be using the Elizabethans as role models for anything though. 

Yeh I mean every panto would welcome a raucous audience.

Probably not but the behaviour is nothing new. 

• 4 weeks later...

Local community theatre for me tonight. Pretty good fun, but got a bit weird near the end. Not my favourite play I've ever seen, but some good humour and good performances from the local amateur cast. Definitely worse uses of a fiver on a Thursday night.

20230504_185907.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just booked a day at the Edinburgh Fringe in August. Seeing Legally Blonde, American Idiot and Chriskirkpatrickmas: A Boy Band Christmas Musical, which sounds like everything the Fringe is about.

Also seeing stand up comedian Marjolein Robertson. Should be a good day.

I went to Anna Karenina at the Lyceum last week. This surprised the folk at work who apparently thought I was an uncultured c*nt. 

I quite enjoyed it. There's some swerry words in it as it's a modern adaptation which amuses me as the Lyceum audience tends to be elderly upper middle class Edinburgh folk 

• 1 month later...
On 01/07/2023 at 00:24, Craig fae the Vale said:

Heathers: The Musical at the King's in Glasgow tonight. Absolutely superb. Knew nothing going in having never seen the film its based on and came out having had one of the best theatre experiences I can remember. 

20230630_185910.jpg

You did well to get a ticket.

My wife and I were in London a few weeks ago.  Went to see Back to the Future, which I didn’t fancy.  Turned out to be superb.  Of all the musicals I’ve seen I think only Wicked was better.  Also went to see We Will Rock You, which was pretty decent.  Slow to begin with but great after the interval.

I’m also being dragged along to see Mousetrap at the Dundee Rep.  I don’t fancy it but will give you all an update once I’ve seen it.

On 31/05/2022 at 23:38, invergowrie arab said:

Saw book of Mormon in Aberdeen on Saturday. Utter shite and I left at half time to go to the Grill.

I'm not sure why anyone who lives in Scotland would be sufficiently exposed to or bothered by Mormons to need to see a satire on them.

And it wasn't funny.

Everyone else I was with seemed to enjoy it though so good luck to everyone still to go. 

I've not been exposed to the animals of the Serengeti or the Witches of Salem but still thought it would be worth seeing The Lion King and The Crucible respectively...

Seen a few shows:- 

The Woman in Black - Great

The Lion King (x2) - Brilliant

Grease - Pish

The Book of Mormon - Outstanding

The Crucible - Shite

Smokey Joe's Cafe - Shite

Jersey Boys - Brilliant

I'm no a Billy, he's a Tim - Good

Sure there's a couple more but can't mind them. I usually start to get restless near the end of a show (probably the seats) but The Book of Mormon could have went on for another 2 hours and I'd have still been gripped. Absolutely fantastic show. 

Edited by 19QOS19

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I've not been exposed to the animals of the Serengeti or the Witches of Salem but still thought it would be worth seeing The Lion King and The Crucible respectively...

Seen a few shows:- 

The Woman in Black - Great

The Lion King (x2) - Brilliant

Grease - Pish

The Book of Mormon - Outstanding

The Crucible - Shite

Smokey Joe's Cafe - Shite

Jersey Boys - Brilliant

I'm no a Billy, he's a Tim - Good

Sure there's a couple more but can't mind them. I usually start to get restless near the end of a show (probably the seats) but The Book of Mormon could have went on for another 2 hours and I'd have still been gripped. Absolutely fantastic show. 

It's not just set there though. The whole premise is a satire exposing the hypocrisy of the Mormon Church. Maybe you are suffiently au fait with that to be invested enough in exposing their hypocrisy  but for me it was no more interesting than a satire on zoroastrianism. The humour was completely purile.

The Lion King is just Hamlet and The Crucible is an allegory which Miller used to satirise McCarthysim so their geographical setting is irrelevant to the themes within the plays.

Mind you it looks like you are pretty cultured so I'm probably not telling you anything you don't know.

6 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

My wife and I were in London a few weeks ago.  Went to see Back to the Future, which I didn’t fancy.  Turned out to be superb.  Of all the musicals I’ve seen I think only Wicked was better.  Also went to see We Will Rock You, which was pretty decent.  Slow to begin with but great after the interval.

I’m also being dragged along to see Mousetrap at the Dundee Rep.  I don’t fancy it but will give you all an update once I’ve seen it.

+1 for Back to the Future, which I'd go and see again without a second's hesitation - some of the special effects put the actual film to shame.

Strangely, though, I absolutely hated Wicked, and wouldn't go again if you paid me.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

...for me it was no more interesting than a satire on zoroastrianism. The humour was completely purile.

Another +1. The opening number gets your hopes up by being absolutely brilliant, but they could lose at least an hour of the subsequent repetitive dross.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's not just set there though. The whole premise is a satire exposing the hypocrisy of the Mormon Church. Maybe you are suffiently au fait with that to be invested enough in exposing their hypocrisy  but for me it was no more interesting than a satire on zoroastrianism. The humour was completely purile.

The Lion King is just Hamlet and The Crucible is an allegory which Miller used to satirise McCarthysim so their geographical setting is irrelevant to the themes within the plays.

Mind you it looks like you are pretty cultured so I'm probably not telling you anything you don't know.

I wouldn't say I'm cultured, I go to the theatre to be entertained for a couple hours. I can't say I put that much effort into the thinking about the subject tbh. I have absolutely no interest in the Mormon religion (or any religions) but am a fan of Stone and Parker and read the rave reviews of the musical so gave it a go. 

My favourite thing I’ve ever seen in a theatre. Saw it first in London with Jack Dee, Tim Healy and Larry Lamb. Saw it again in Glasgow with Nigel Havers, Stephen Tompkinson and Dennis Lawson. Absolutely fantastic. If you ever get a chance, etc, etc…

6C9B36D5-68A5-48CC-9DFF-016B48C0298A.jpeg

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

+1 for Back to the Future, which I'd go and see again without a second's hesitation - some of the special effects put the actual film to shame.

Strangely, though, I absolutely hated Wicked, and wouldn't go again if you paid me.

Totally agree that the special effects were amazing.  

I’ve seen wicked twice in London and I’m considering going to see it again in Edinburgh.  

15 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

We had it booked months ago. Glad we did, it was brilliant. 

Was being sarcastic because in your photo there are so many empty seats. Guessing you were there early though.

Feel bad now 🤐

Edited by jimbaxters

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Was being sarcastic because I'm your photo there are so many empty seats. Guessing you were there early though.

Feel bad now 🤐

I failed to pick up on that entirely 🤣. Aye, we were in 20 minutes before it started, it filled right up, don't think there were many - if any - empty seats at all by the time it started.