Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

Crisis solved 

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do to avoid holding us to account and actually fucking do something to help you, you disgusting people. Got to go, lobster on the subsidised cafe menu today". (With apologies to JFK.)

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
13 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
Can we start burning Tories for fuel?

Old adage...shite doesn't burn !

Worth testing the theory imo.

On 04/05/2022 at 10:49, Clown Job said:

Crisis solved 

Hope the middle classes are getting the idea now that they're being advised to downgrade to the stuff they used to laugh at poor folk buying.

I would suggest that if the massive dunt in disposable income created by the energy price hikes isn't slowing spending then a quarter % rise in interest rates is basically pissing into the wind as a measure to halt inflation. They can raise rates to their hearts content but there is very little ability / incentive to save as things stand. It's going to take literally dozens of rises this size to have the desired effect so it needs looking at from a different angle although I'm not sure there is another effective way to halt rampant inflation.

17 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
4 hours ago, Clown Job said:

I'm not sure there is another effective way to halt rampant inflammation.

image.jpeg.826f004b9140ba358e8353be8f5bbc68.jpeg

I would suggest that if the massive dunt in disposable income created by the energy price hikes isn't slowing spending then a quarter % rise in interest rates is basically pissing into the wind as a measure to halt inflation. They can raise rates to their hearts content but there is very little ability / incentive to save as things stand. It's going to take literally dozens of rises this size to have the desired effect so it needs looking at from a different angle although I'm not sure there is another effective way to halt rampant inflation.

I’m no economist but in this climate I’m willing to bet millions more will simply pay more on their mortgages than earn extra money from savings.

The big problem is that the property market is a ludicrously over-inflated bubble and yet the UK's economic and political systems are so hooked on house prices that they will not - and cannot - let it crash back to earth.