3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's how tipping was originally done back in the days of horse and carriages etc.  They would stop off at a coaching inn and start by leaving a tip to ensure good service rather than afterwards as a reward.  Makes sense.  

One can just imagine how this would go if some 'Karen' went into TGIs, paid a tip up-front, and then felt that some non-tipper had got any form of service ahead of them.

"I wanted a dessert menu whilst you were too busy sitting another family down" etc etc.

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

One can just imagine how this would go if some 'Karen' went into TGIs, paid a tip up-front, and then felt that some non-tipper had got any form of service ahead of them.

"I wanted a dessert menu whilst you were too busy sitting another family down" etc etc.

Highwaymen may have been murders, robbers and vagabonds, but self-centred c***s they were not.

At least 10% in restaurants, sometimes more if the service is really good. Always tip my barber as he's a guid c**t who looks after me and the wee man when we're there. The cashier in the bookies gets something if I win. Taxi gets rounded up to the nearest pound. Don't get takeaways that often, but the places we use have started service charges, so f**k that.

And of course, as a gentleman I always tip my hat to the ladies.

c51dc316e76c7c6cc89a3a4be8f4a287.jpeg.15a2aecaba5acf8cc325f55c57dfd0a0.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

As mentioned back up the thread, it really pisses me off when you receive a restaurant bill with a 15% service charge already added and generally decide not to tip. Then feel really guilty when the waitress/waiter has been particularly helpful (it isn’t their fault), and tip them a fiver anyway. So a £50 meal for example becomes £62.50, which you then just round up to £65.00. You’ve given the restaurant an extra £15 quid without being completely sure that the waiting staff will receive any of it. Suppose you could just round it up to £60 but a £2.50 tip doesn’t seem very much for someone whose probably on a miserly hourly rate. Don’t think I’m tight but this does bug me a little.
Taxi drivers, barber, car wash usually rounded up to the nearest fiver.
Been to the States a couple of times, a few dollars for food and drinks staff has seemingly been sufficient. The over the top attentiveness at some places to secure a healthy tip is just unbearable though, and let’s not get started on additional base sales tax and local surtaxes!!emoji15.png

If service is included can you refuse to pay it and just give the tip straight to the waiter? 

30 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Why is tipping taxi drivers so common? Did they used to get shit pay and folk did it out of pity?

Has anyone hear actually met a poor taxi driver? Any time I get a taxi they can't wait to tell me how well off they are. They can f**k off expecting a healthy tip in that case.

I once got picked up by taxi driver who immediately started asking me about my house price before taking a completely unnecessary detour along a neighbouring street to ask me about specific houses for sale.  "Is this street ever busy", "do children play out on the street here?".  Bizarre behaviour.  Thankfully it was on expenses. 

Mind you live in one of Scotlands few Tory strongholds mate. This sort of arseholery is surely to be expected as the norm in such a region?

It's not Dumfries taxis I get. It's usually out of Glasgow or Carlisle. The one the other night was from Carlisle but the guy was actually from somewhere in Ayrshire originally. Couldn't wait to tell me how little he worked but how well off he was.

I think taxi drivers spend that much time parked up that they make up these nonsense stories and convince themselves that it's reality. The one the other night also informed me that he had went down to Dover to head over to Ukraine but had his passport taken off him so he can't fight the Russians now.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If service is included can you refuse to pay it and just give the tip straight to the waiter? 

No reason you couldn't. It's pretty much always described as 'discretionary', although I generally avoid places where its implemented as I don't agree with the principle and I feel like I'd be being a dick asking them to remove it. 

I have only once asked for the service charge to be removed (large group booking) and the staff were really arsey about it. The service was however dreadful - pretty much ignored us, with mistakes made with the orders and an incorrect bill as well. Needless to say, no tip was given after the charge was removed. I still felt like a dick for doing it, but the service was absolutely shite and they didn't deserve it, frankly. 

I did once discreetly enquire about this in a restaurant down in London, nothing fancy just a wee place near Southwark Tube. The Waiter politely but firmly explained that the Service Charge was highlighted in the menu when ordering, suggesting that ‘you have already agreed to the terms before your meal’. I don’t recall leaving a tip on that occasion.

Why do people tip their binmen or posties? It’s not like these are self employed people or are earning really really shit wage.

Binmen is especially weird. Is your council tax bill not high enough? It’s not like they are going to empty your bin any better or quicker if you tip them.

Whats tipping the postie going to achieve either? That he doesn’t post your stuff through the wrong door?

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

You've just defeated your own argument there.

I agree that it's possible to get by cashless but for those situations which do arise from time-to-time why not just stick a few quid in your back pocket?  

Do you own a watch?

By demonstrating that the vast majority of transactions can be carried out without cash?

confused eddie izzard GIF

Lets agree to disagree on this one....................

19 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

I did once discreetly enquire about this in a restaurant down in London, nothing fancy just a wee place near Southwark Tube. The Waiter politely but firmly explained that the Service Charge was highlighted in the menu when ordering, suggesting that ‘you have already agreed to the terms before your meal’. I don’t recall leaving a tip on that occasion.

Any place I’ve seen it says “discretionary service charge”.  Usually avoid such places anyway.

Why do people tip their binmen or posties? It’s not like these are self employed people earning a really really shit wage.
Binmen is especially weird. Is your council tax bill not high enough? It’s not like they are going to empty your bin any better or quicker if you tip them.
Whats tipping the postie going to achieve either? That he doesn’t post your stuff through the wrong door?
When I lived in a four in a block, on more than one occasion I would go to work in the afternoon having been in all morning to find one of those "sorry we missed you" cards. The shiftless arsehole clearly did a Still Game and posted it having never had the parcel. I don't tip them personally but if it stops shit like that from happening I suppose I can see why people do.

Why do people tip their binmen or posties? It’s not like these are self employed people earning a really really shit wage.

Think it’s more of a tradition on that one. The Bin Men these days leave the empty bins all over the fucking street for the neighbours to go scrambling for their own bin to put them back in place, so they get nothing. We had the same Postie for years (a really friendly sort) to whom the missus would bob a tenner in a card at Christmas. We seem to get a different one every other week since the previous one retired and at all times of the day too, so it’s a difficult one to keep to. The Paper Boy also used to get a tip back in the day, but who’s gets a daily paper delivered anymore!?

35 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

A tenner every Christmas means there's never a problem leaving out extra rubbish all year, it's a bargain. The postman changes so often these days I don't bother, but they used to give you a bit more time to get to the door before popping the card through, as said above. Anyway when it comes down to it why give anyone a Christmas present?

Edited by welshbairn

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Anyway when it comes down to why give anyone a Christmas present?

Is the cases you mention it's in order to get something in return when that's not normally the reason to give at Christmas time. Unless you're a nice guy it's because society demands gifts are exchanged and you like the person rather than for a specific return.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Is the cases you mention it's in order to get something in return when that's not normally the reason to give at Christmas time. Unless you're a nice guy it's because society demands gifts are exchanged and you like the person rather than for a specific return.

That was my point really, why wouldn't you give a Christmas present to somebody you see more of than most of your relatives?