Hibs' Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Hibernian's next permanent manager?   

205 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Hendo said:

It always amazes me that most Hibs fans seem to believe that Alan Stubbs was a better manager than Jack Ross.

It’s constantly forgotten about how absolutely pish we were under Ross for the majority of the time.

Successes: 3rd place, reaching Hampden a few times (although without ever really beating anyone of note on the way).

Failures: Losing twice to the worst Hearts side in the last 20 years, losing twice at Hampden to St Johnstone without laying a glove on them, absolutely pish in the Europa Conference League, every permanent signing that he made with the exception of Cadden, Nisbet and McGinn, boring boring boring football, 1 win out of 15 in matches against the old firm, finishing 7th in the covid curtailed season, leaving us in 7th place when he was deservedly sacked.

Because of how bad it’s been since the perception that Ross was the messiah is the biggest Scottish football myth in quite some time.

Alan Stubbs isn’t a better manager overall but he achieved more than Ross did in his time at the club.

If I remember correctly, we had a million games in hand and didn't manage to overtake Hibs when it looked like we'd stroll to third just before the Christmas period.

I checked this up
In the first 22 games
Aberdeen got 40 points and Hibs got 36

By the split it was
Aberdeen 49, Hibs 56

So that was an 11 point swing in 11 games

And the margin remained the same (7) after the split
Aberdeen 56, Hibs 63

2 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

It’s constantly forgotten about how absolutely pish we were under Ross for the majority of the time.

Successes: 3rd place, reaching Hampden a few times (although without ever really beating anyone of note on the way).

Failures: Losing twice to the worst Hearts side in the last 20 years, losing twice at Hampden to St Johnstone without laying a glove on them, absolutely pish in the Europa Conference League, every permanent signing that he made with the exception of Cadden, Nisbet and McGinn, boring boring boring football, 1 win out of 15 in matches against the old firm, finishing 7th in the covid curtailed season, leaving us in 7th place when he was deservedly sacked.

Because of how bad it’s been since the perception that Ross was the messiah is the biggest Scottish football myth in quite some time.

Alan Stubbs isn’t a better manager overall but he achieved more than Ross did in his time at the club.

The covid curtailed season he only took over in November, and results improved after that, but when he took over you had only won 2 games out of 12, so was starting from a poor position. 

Scottish teams outwith Celtic and Rangers haven't qualified for European group stages literally ever. It's not as if you were put out by some minnows from the Faroe Islands.

1 win in 15 v the old firm? Aye, fair enough, that's pretty poor compared with your other managers that were always beating them.

I don't think Ross is a top top manager - he won't get a gig at a top club - his weaknesses are his recruitment can be hit and miss and tactically he can be slow to react, though his main strength seems to be his man management which by all accounts is very good - but for a club the size of Hibs, he is a good fit and if you'd stuck by him, I think you would have enjoyed success - which would be top 4 more often than not and the odd cup final and, with a bit of luck, a cup win.

Instead, you are now rooting round the bargain bin of failed managers, thinking you'll get someone better. You really won't. 

59 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I checked this up
In the first 22 games
Aberdeen got 40 points and Hibs got 36

By the split it was
Aberdeen 49, Hibs 56

So that was an 11 point swing in 11 games

And the margin remained the same (7) after the split
Aberdeen 56, Hibs 63

The league table was all to shit due to covid postponements etc.

Would be amazed if the first 22 games were played by both teams by the same date but happy to be proven wrong.

15 minutes ago, Hendo said:

The covid curtailed season he only took over in November, and results improved after that, but when he took over you had only won 2 games out of 12, so was starting from a poor position. 

Scottish teams outwith Celtic and Rangers haven't qualified for European group stages literally ever. It's not as if you were put out by some minnows from the Faroe Islands.

1 win in 15 v the old firm? Aye, fair enough, that's pretty poor compared with your other managers that were always beating them.

I don't think Ross is a top top manager - he won't get a gig at a top club - his weaknesses are his recruitment can be hit and miss and tactically he can be slow to react, though his main strength seems to be his man management which by all accounts is very good - but for a club the size of Hibs, he is a good fit and if you'd stuck by him, I think you would have enjoyed success - which would be top 4 more often than not and the odd cup final and, with a bit of luck, a cup win.

Instead, you are now rooting round the bargain bin of failed managers, thinking you'll get someone better. You really won't. 

Before the covid season was curtailed we had hadn’t won in our last 3, against bottom of the league Hearts, Livingston and Aberdeen, losing 3-1 to Hearts and Aberdeen. We had a slight upturn when he came in, a new manager bounce if you will but I would say his performance from joining until the football was stopped would get a 6/10 at best.

In Europe, getting to the group stage wasn’t what was expected, getting to the play off though was probably a fair expectation, we lost against Rijeka due to shocking finishing in the home leg before his poor recruitment forced us to play Darren McGregor in the away leg who’s sending off cost us really.

His man management is absolutely his strength I totally agree and that’s all you hear about with him but we were 7th in 2 out of his 3 seasons with him, aye we got 3rd last year and we performed pretty well with the caveat we weren’t up against much but it’s the points I mentioned in my initial post and the number of failures under his belt that he managed for us.

You might be right about our next manager but the fact is no one knows if we’ll get better, when Bobby Williamson went away to Plymouth and left us as a perennial bottom 6 club I bet no one thought we’d pick up Mowbray who turned us into the most exciting team in the league overnight, it remains to be seen.

My confidence in the board to pick the right man is low but my confidence in Jack Ross to achieve any success for us and even to keep supporters’ eyes open was just as low.

The league table was all to shit due to covid postponements etc.
Would be amazed if the first 22 games were played by both teams by the same date but happy to be proven wrong.

I looked at the totals after 22 and 33 games in an attempt to do a like for like comparison and filter out the scheduling weirdness

The normal assumption that you’ve played everyone home and away after 22 games and then play everyone else only once more might not hold so it could be that one of you had a harder set of fixtures from game 23 to 33 but the overall picture is still dramatic

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

I Told You Starz GIF by Power

By all accounts we're in talks with absolutely everyone who'll return Ian Gordon's calls. I wouldn't call you a liar if you said you had insider information that John McGlynn had just been spotted at East Mains heading into a conference room with Ron Gordon and Ben Kensell.

1 minute ago, Aim Here said:

John McGlynn had just been spotted at East Mains heading into a conference room with Ron Gordon and Ben Kensell.

Definitely not, I saw him at a bus stop outside the Aldi on Gilmerton road after I dropped my car at the garage.

Well, it was either McGlynn or some other old trampy guy in a blue rain jacket................

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Definitely not, I saw him at a bus stop outside the Aldi on Gilmerton road after I dropped my car at the garage.

Well, it was either McGlynn or some other old trampy guy in a blue rain jacket................

Close to Moredun/Fernie - makes sense imo. 

45 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Close to Moredun/Fernie - makes sense imo. 

I grew up in Gilmerton, and we used to play fitba up at Ferniehill - one thing I remember is Walter Kidds brother used to be a postie around Moredun / Fernieside.

He had a missing finger (kinda like the 1980s comedian Dave Allen if you remember him?) which I always thought must have made posting the letters a bit tricky................

5 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I grew up in Gilmerton, and we used to play fitba up at Ferniehill - one thing I remember is Walter Kidds brother used to be a postie around Moredun / Fernieside.

He had a missing finger (kinda like the 1980s comedian Dave Allen if you remember him?) which I always thought must have made posting the letters a bit tricky................

:lol: class story.  I grew up a wee bit down the road from where you did.  Top side Inch ;)

I saw a guy that looked like Derek McInnes in a Pizza restaurant in Edinburgh last Friday night....

Seeing as he'll likely be caretaker again in another 6 months why not just give the job to David Gray and avoid all the faffing about? 

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I saw a guy that looked like Derek McInnes in a Pizza restaurant in Edinburgh last Friday night....

Seeing as he'll likely be caretaker again in another 6 months why not just give the job to David Gray and avoid all the faffing about? 

I don't want Sir Davies legacy spoiled by Ian Gordon and his transfer committee pish or a ceo who blames every other c**t bar himself. 

I would genuinely rather SDG left and went to develop coaching at a club like Motherwell or even Hamilton.