Darvel FC Thread

Why were Aberdeen so bad, for Scotlands third best team, they showed nothing.Dont get me wrong, Darvel played well, but no way should a tier six team dispose of a premier team that once won a European trophy. It wasn't even a back to the wall scraped win, rather a comfortable one nil. I said a couple of years ago when pyramid was formed, that four top teams from West, East and Highland and Lowland should be placed at tier five, above the Lowland league, as it's plain to see the quality, support, grounds are a class above what's on offer just now at tier 5. Just my own opinion, but what a league that would be, with any team promoted a great addition to SPL2, 

Well done lads. I thought even the Dons would have upped their game for this match but you deserved the win. Defended really well and the GK had some really good saves. Stuck a cheeky pound on two 50p bet builders and you won me £43, so kudos for that.

Enjoy your night/next few days and well done for giving every fitba fan in Scotland a great laugh at Aberdeen's expense. 

Wow what a performance from the team last night , we were immense all over the park and deserved that victory , our performance didn’t surprise me theirs did but I couldn’t care less about Aberdeen we are in last 16 of Scottish cup with a chance of getting into last 8 but as daft as it sounds Falkirk will Be harder tie than last night as we will be expected to win 

Could debate and change my mind on this all day, but It is the biggest ever shock in this cup in my opinion. Darvel aren't an established name from the Junior days. A lot of Aberdeen fans might not even have heard of them until fairly recently. 

Obviously the gap between the abilities of the squads isn't as wide as the league positions would have you think at first glance, so in that regard it's in the same ball park as Kelty beating St Johnstone, but Aberdeen should still have been winning that game in second gear 99 out of 100 against a regional non league side. 

I'm far from a fan of the absolute shower of classless wallopers involved in running Darvel but that's a seismic result that they're entitled to boast about for decades to come.

1 hour ago, Darvel legend said:

Wow what a performance from the team last night , we were immense all over the park and deserved that victory , our performance didn’t surprise me theirs did but I couldn’t care less about Aberdeen we are in last 16 of Scottish cup with a chance of getting into last 8 but as daft as it sounds Falkirk will Be harder tie than last night as we will be expected to win 

Did you turn a bit of coin on the result J?

1 hour ago, Darvel legend said:

Congratulations, a well deserved night for the likes of yourself who have put so much into the club over the years through thick and thin. An incredible performance.

Good luck keeping a hold of your manager now and a few of those players though.

10 hours ago, Man from the East said:

A little bit disrespectful by Mr. Goodwin. He obviously ignores the entire pyramid system and classifies it all as Junior. Aye he’s pretty emotional just now after getting humped oot the Scottish Cup, but surely if he’d done his homework on Darvel he’d have known they’re no longer a Junior Club. He knows now.

30F2DC5A-0A65-490A-8A95-209670D7249B.jpeg

No idea why anyone would get worked up over something like that. Tier 6 and below is going to be colloquially referred to as "the juniors" for a while by a lot of people simply out of force of habit. When I was a wee kid in the early 70s I used to listen to older people talking about A division and B division quite a bit long after those had ceased to be the names that the SFL used. Beyond that he technically isn't actually wrong. Darvel rejoined the SJFA this season and that set the scene for this tweet last night from the guy that scored the goal against Darvel for Glentanar (an Aberdeen junior club) during a 10-1 defeat:

Edited by LongTimeLurker

13 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

He invited the BBC cameras to watch him make the cringiest team talk in history. His wee pal will be on at half time hogging the mic as well.

It sums up the vanity of the whole thing. They're winning deservedly, fair play but don't tell me that talk has contributed to it.

And yet John Gall, Mick and the Darvel players have done more to raise the profile and generate publicity for the WoSFL than you or anyone else has or ever will do.

But you batter on with your vanity nonsense.

18 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

And yet John Gall, Mick and the Darvel players have done more to raise the profile and generate publicity for the WoSFL than you or anyone else has or ever will do.

Well said. Some people can’t see beyond the end of their noses. He must have been sure Darvel would get beat. A sane man would have waited till the game was over before bumping his gums. 

45 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

So you're saying the mic grabbing and endless interviews/rehearsed team talks are for the benefit of the WoSFL? Is that why they've stated during those endless interviews that they want to get out of it as soon as possible? 

25 minutes ago, Lurcer said:

Well said. Some people can’t see beyond the end of their noses. He must have been sure Darvel would get beat. A sane man would have waited till the game was over before bumping his gums. 

The outcome of the match had no bearing on how horrible that team talk was. Why would I wait before expressing an opinion?