Highs and Lows of the season(so far)

Shamelessly stolen from the Championship forum. Maybe a bit early but as a Hibs fan this season has been an Annus Horribilis and I for one cannot wait for it to be over.

It all started so brightly and with a Cup Final appearance lost to ineptness it promised to be one to remember (for the right reasons). The whole management shennanigans has been handled poorly and we are a bit of a laughng stock at the moment for good reason. Another contributory factor to the malaise being I used to think the Hibs fan bases was one of the better ones but this season has uncovered some absolute moonhowlers over all forms of social media(including here). I cant remember a season that has scunnered me as much as this yet on the face of it we have had far worse ones than this.

So to the case in point. What was your highs and lows of this season for your team.

High(very few to choose from) was undoubtedly pumping the currants at Hampden in the league cup semi and being one of the 12000 to be arsed turning up for it.

Low-plenty to choose from but probably the League cup final defeat to the lesser greens.

10 minutes ago, Joe Terrapin said:

Shamelessly stolen from the Championship forum. Maybe a bit early but as a Hibs fan this season has been an Annus Horribilis and I for one cannot wait for it to be over.

It all started so brightly and with a Cup Final appearance lost to ineptness it promised to be one to remember (for the right reasons). The whole management shennanigans has been handled poorly and we are a bit of a laughng stock at the moment for good reason. Another contributory factor to the malaise being I used to think the Hibs fan bases was one of the better ones but this season has uncovered some absolute moonhowlers over all forms of social media(including here). I cant remember a season that has scunnered me as much as this yet on the face of it we have had far worse ones than this.

So to the case in point. What was your highs and lows of this season for your team.

High(very few to choose from) was undoubtedly pumping the currants at Hampden in the league cup semi and being one of the 12000 to be arsed turning up for it.

Low-plenty to choose from but probably the League cup final defeat to the lesser greens.

My Highs and Lows are probably the same as yours.

Going to the last 2 home games, but only really for the beers.

Tough to choose a high. Could be pumping Celtic on day one, the last-minute equaliser at Ibrox, pumping Hibs twice in a week, the fun 5-2 at home to United, the start of the season when we broke with tradition and won some away games in the league including a lovely sunny away day at Tannadice...

Ultimately, I'd say the high point for me was in the pub about an hour after the semi-final when it sank in that, despite a relatively grubby showing, we'd done Hibs for the fourth time at Hampden in 16 years, were going to a cup final, and had Europe to look forward to next year. Lovely.

The low point is a toss-up for me between the two pitiful displays at Pittodrie and Fir Park.

Overall, nothing to grumble about.

High - the unbeaten run after the winter break. Had we held onto the lead v Motherwell we would have won 5 top flight games in a row, something that (still) hasn't happened in my 58 year lifetime.

Low - the 2nd half capitulation v DU. Had we held onto the lead we'd have been 4th and *probably* would have finished in the top 6.

Highs:

• hilariously coming back from 1-0 down at Ibrox
  • hilariously coming back from 2-0 down at Ibrox
  • scudding Aberdeen 2-0 with not only our only 2 shots on target but our only 2 shots on goal - 100% accuracy
  • the actual tears of some Aberdeen podcast boy talking about Kevin Van Veen
  • Kevin Van Veen bodying Declan Gallagher all over Fir Park with one functioning arm
  • finishing top 6 despite only winning 1 league game in 2022
  • Ricki Lamie's injury time equaliser to get it right up David Martindale

Lows:

• getting scudded by Airdrie
  • losing twice to Dundee having not lost to them since 2017 or whatever
  • Bobby Madden and his penalty retake nonsense against St Mirren
  • only winning 1 league game in 2022
  • Callum Hendry channeling his inner van Basten in injury time at McDairmid Park
  • losing to a 10 man Rangers having rescheduled the fucking game to suit their schedule
Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Where can I hear this deliciousness?

On 15/02/2022 at 10:28, capt_oats said:

As someone who is a massive fan of schadenfreude, let me tell you, the section of this pod around 13 mins where the boys talking can't even mention KVV's name is absolutely delicious.

"Bullied by one of the more limited players in the SPFL, his record against teams other than Aberdeen really just underlines that."

"The truth is pretty much against everybody else he's been absolutely shite."

Oh my...the absolute disrespect:lol:

It is not really an isolated 'high', as such, but the only positive of the season from an Aberdeen perspective has been witnessing the emergence of good, young players. Ramsay has, despite dips in form that you would expect from any academy graduate in their first full season, been very good and should make us millions in the near future. Barron has also been consistently amongst our best players since breaking into the team. Mackenzie, likewise, isn't as good as the aforementioned duo but has added something positive to an otherwise depressing campaign. This positivity, unfortunately, is diluted by the fact that I don't expect Barron and especially Ramsay to be long for Aberdeen, and that they have emerged into such a poor team. 

The 'lows' have been comprised of pretty much everything else from around September onwards. 

Highs:

- Battering Motherwell
- Beating Aberdeen in the league for a change
- Sneaking a win over Hearts at Tynecastle

Lows:

- Pretty much everything else
more specifically...
- Fucking up our first decent chance at Hampden in ages against St Johnstone
- The various pumpings at home (0-5 vs. County, 0-4 vs. Livi, etc.)
- Keeping McPake past October
- Having to see Mark McGhee in a Dundee uniform

Roll on next season.

Bit up and down this season, first quarter was shockingly bad, but in between that Sahara desert esque dry spell  of poor results was a wee oasis of a win against Celtic. We recovered and had ourselves in a good position to rescue our season with a top 6 spot, chasing a European place, but it all went to shit with Motherwell equalising with 30 seconds to go. 

Highs.

1-0 win against Celtic.

A 0-0 masterclass in defending at Parkhead that Simeone would've been proud of, with Max saving a late penalty too.

Winning a 5 goal thriller away to County with Parkes coming on and heading in an injury time winner.

Taking Hearts to ET and Pens in our Scottish Cup game at Tynecastle.

Taking our top 6 hopes to the very last pre split game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lows.

Not making the top 6 and conceding an injury time goal for Motherwell to draw 2-2 after us being 2-0 up.

Losing to Hearts on pens in our Scottish cup game at Tynecastle.

Highest Probably the 0-0 against Celtic when we had the covid outbreak. I know we had our first choice defenders n a couple of other senior guys available but the young players like Reid and Offord played out of their skin. Even Main played his part. 

Other highs - The form that got Goodwin his move to Aberdeen. We were playing some good stuff, Kiltie was like a brand new signing. If Goodwin stays I think we would have broken our top 6 hoodoo this season and have had a shot at a European space, all hypothetical now.

Lowest was losing Goodwin. Felt like Tyson had a shot at my gut. Sadly the players felt the same and we haven't recovered. Wind totally knocked out our sails.

Other low points- Losing the 50/50 games against County, Motherwell and United. Cost us dearly and things can still get worse.

Losing 2 goals in quick succession was a bad habit under Goodwin in the first half of the season.

The Dundee defeat at home was a shocker too. The home form in general hasn't been great, apart from against Aberdeen.